No announcement yet.

Paleo comes in last

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the first sentence of the description of the "winning" diet, the "DASH Diet" (have you ever heard of anyone being on the DASH diet?):

"You’ll stay within the government’s recommendation that 20 to 35 percent of daily calories come from total fat. As for saturated fat, you’ll stay well below the government’s 10 percent max."

If they were speaking to me, they might as well have said, "you will live up to 20 to 35 percent of your potential as a human being."

Comment

A panel of 22 nationally recognized experts in diet, nutrition, obesity, food psychology, diabetes, and heart disease reviewed our profiles, added their own fact-finding, and rated each diet in seven categories: how easy it is to follow, its ability to produce short-term and long-term weight loss, its nutritional completeness, its safety, and its potential for preventing and managing diabetes and heart disease. We also asked the panelists to let us know about aspects of each diet they particularly liked or disliked and to weigh in with tidbits of advice that someone considering a particular diet should know.
      Here are the "experts" - they do have some impressive credentials but obviously missed the point of our way of eating.
      carl's cave

Comment

"They" from the Planet "Them", tell you what is good for you, and how much of it you should eat! The government this, the government that, blah, blah, blah!!!!! Please pass the raw milk and ribeye:-) Oh, and don't forget the kale n sweet potatoes...
        Free your mind, and your Grok will follow!

Comment

Oh my god those cereal boxes are incredible. I haven't even been down that aisle in a long time.

I really liked Tom's presentation about the wisdom of the crowds. How when people struggle to follow CW and it turns out to be wrong, then try something like low carb or paleo and it turns out to work, then we start to wonder are they lying to us or just stupid, or are they actually trying to kill us? And what else are they lying to us about?

Fat Head » The ORI Speech
          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

The other reason Paleo is so far down is that it does not resemble the US government's MyPlate like all the top diets do. To say Paleo is good is to say government recomendations are wrong which is not going to happen.
            Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
            PS
            Don't forget to play!

Comment

In Primal Research, Texas.Grok posted 'Cui Bono (who benefits)" which I think decribes this situation perfectly. Promoting a way of eating that will significantly reduce the public's need for hospitals, pharmaceuticals, and 'diet' food would benefit no one - except the individual people, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by BestBetter View Post
                Promoting a way of eating that will significantly reduce the public's need for hospitals, pharmaceuticals, and 'diet' food would benefit no one - except the individual people, of course.
                I see this meme on this site all the time, and I don't see how it makes any sense. Health care costs are a huge drain on Big Business, both direct and indirect, and Big Business dwarfs pharma/etc.

Comment

The microcosm of board members who own stocks in grains, sit on government food advisory panels AND set nutritional guidelines for the medical industry is responsible for the confusion. I know hospitals would suffer greatly is people were to live normal, healthy lives and then just drop dead. We rely on chronic ailments that lead to big, long-term insurance payouts.
                  Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Doesn't it also make you angry when the "experts" assume that bc we don't eat gluten we replace it with high calorie substitutes that they say make you fat!? They are speaking out of ignorance in that case bc they just don't care enough to really see what we are doing. I have cured my insomnia on the primal diet and appear well on my way to curing my anxiety, and it makes me SO mad when people discount this way of eating...but then again, why have a diet that helps prevent disease when you can treat it for high dollars over the course of a lifetime? Argh I need to walk the anger off..lol.

Comment

The ones that came in on top are "programs" that bring in big advertising dollars. You don't want to offend the advertisers. There is no single entity making money off of paleo. Therefore, it comes in last.

Comment

Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
                        LOL, it has to be the easiest diet to stick to of all time. Eat whole foods. Don't eat grains, beans, soy or sugar or processed foods. Done.

It's even easy to dine out. I just went to a burrito place- I want chicken on a salad with grilled veggies and salsa. DONE. I went out for Indian- roast lamb, roast potatoes, spinach. Done. Brunch- Frittata - please make in butter and no toast. Done.

I don't know my nutrients well but was not aware that white bread and sugar carried any, and very few people actually eat whole grains.
                        Totally off topic here - but it never occurred to me that I could ask a restaurant to cook my food in butter instead of veg oil. Are places pretty good about doing it? It is such a great idea!!
                        Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Cracks me up... I literally have retrained my entire body in 5 weeks. I'm in better shape than I've been in since basic training, and I've only just started.

My rule of thumb:

Conventional Wisdom = FAIL
                          Instinct = WINNING
                          Re-Starting Paleo January 10, 2013

SW - 185.4 lbs Janury 10, 2013
                          CW- 179.8 lbs
                          Goal- 168 lbs Full Performance Level PBF, 32" waist, lean...

MY PALEO JOURNAL

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity."
                          ~ Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post
                            Totally off topic here - but it never occurred to me that I could ask a restaurant to cook my food in butter instead of veg oil. Are places pretty good about doing it? It is such a great idea!!
                            i would not believe for a second that they really did it unless i saw it myself. I don't even believe most restaurants HAVE butter in the kitchen.

Comment

I'm nearly 48 dropped grains about 3.5 weeks ago and no milk, been training for about 6 weeks after a layoff due to a chest infection.
                              I have never dropped weight so fast even in my 20s. Now easily in 32 inch jeans and losing 1 to 2 lbs per week
                              I am eating primally with a bit more Carb than most but rarely over 120 grams a day it's quite hard to do so.

I am monitoring my calories and estimate 20lbs loss so far.

I have been out to dinner at least 5x and have the occasional treat

You can STICK your grains and milk where the sun don't shine

People at work have been shocked how quick I have done it.

Comment

Working...
                              X