? about calories in and exercise calories out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? about calories in and exercise calories out

I have a question that I am not sure how to word it.

Between your calories in and your calories out, do you still need to stay at a certain calorie range from your food? Can exercise push you into a too low of range or is that not a factor? Does that make sense?

Sorry if that has been discussed somewhere.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Originally posted by gopintos View Post
    I have a question that I am not sure how to word it.

Between your calories in and your calories out, do you still need to stay at a certain calorie range from your food? Can exercise push you into a too low of range or is that not a factor? Does that make sense?

Sorry if that has been discussed somewhere.
    Energy input and output are coupled. You can't treat them independently. Changing one affects the other.

Comment

Ty.

I was wondering because on the days that I do workout, my calories pretty much stay the same, within 100 - 200 give or take. So I was wondering about creating too large of a deficit and slowing progress.

Comment

I actually have the same basic question.

According to conventional wisdom, I need to net just over 2,000 calories a day at my present weight in order to "safely" lose 2 pounds a week.

I've been tracking both intake and calories burned, and days like today where my activity has been higher (gotta love moving and cleaning) my net caloric intake is 987 calories - well under my "safe" budget of 2,014 (today's gross so far is 1,987)

I'm using the IF and WHEN method, and times like this where my net calories are rather low, I feel like I need to eat, but I can't tell for sure if it is a true hunger, or just a psychological need. I do have a friend who consistently eats between 1200 and 1400 calories, and I believe that is his gross intake.

My question is, and I think the OP's is as well, do I need to force my self to eat more on days like this, or would this be more like a day when Grok hunts, but fails to kill and has to eat light for a day?

Comment

You don't burn a lot of calories working out. If you burn 100 calories per mile walking and there's 3500 calories in a pound of fat you'd have to walk 35 miles to burn the number of calories equal to 1 pound of fat.

High intensitiy exercise burns more glucose that might cause you to need more carbs to replace those carbs but it's also dependent on your regular (weekly) volumn.
          Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott F View Post
            High intensitiy exercise burns more glucose that might cause you to need more carbs to replace those carbs but it's also dependent on your regular (weekly) volumn.
            Actually, high intensity exercise, i.e. anaerobic pathways, burns glycogen stored locally at the muscle. Does dietary glucose actually speed up the replenishment of muscle glycogen?

Comment

Originally posted by js290 View Post
              Actually, high intensity exercise, i.e. anaerobic pathways, burns glycogen stored locally at the muscle. Does dietary glucose actually speed up the replenishment of muscle glycogen?
              Yes it will.
              Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Comment

I highly suggest reading the articles on Lyle MacDonald's Body Recomposition website. He explains this highly confusing topic with clarity.

Below is a link to his calories in/calories out explanation, but I'd suggest perusing through his other articles - they're short and well-written and after reading them, i always feel a little smarter!

The Energy Balance Equation | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

Comment

Don't count calories, fix your metabolism.

Comment

Originally posted by js290 View Post
                    YES. try it. don't listen to ron rosedale, or [insert internet guru/youtube video here].

Comment

ugh I wish I understood more. I guess keep reading & learning.

Okay so let's say I am walking 3 miles every day and burn 300 calories and my caloric intake is 1200. So my effective calories are 900. Should I be concerned with this on a daily basis? Or is every other day okay enough to not worry about it?

I have been able to get my calories up most days, but I have been going kind of easy on the exercise. Exercise just made me hungrier and it didnt make sense to me to exercise more and then eat more, when I could just eat less and exercise less. But now that 50lbs (49.7) are gone, I am thinking it is time to step up my game. That might take care of itself I guess, I will get hungrier again if I add in more activity and then add more calories, but I was just curious as to what would happen if I still try to rein in my intake.

CW says exercise to lose weight and then I hear exercise doesnt make you lose weight. And then I hear it's not CICO, and then I hear it is and if it is, it seems like then exercise would be a factor. Then this morning, I listened to Body by Science briefly that it isnt CiCo, it is hormonal or something.

I just wanted to try to move things along a little faster. Sort of. I am happy with the slow and steady cuz I think things are going back in place. I watched a show last night, and she lost a pound a day, exercised like 4 or 5 hours per day, and had all kinds of excess skin, and I do not want that. But she was alot bigger also.

But I hear yes starvation mode, no starvation mode. If you need a deficit to lose weight, how does the body know that this deficit is okay and to let go of the weight, and what makes it think maybe this deficit is starvation so we better hold on to the weight. Okay, so that is my question. How does the body know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em?

Comment

Oh I just saw these other posts while I was babbling. Will check it all out. Thanks!

Comment

My experience over the years is that one does not exercise to lose weight. For fat loss, diet is the key. Exercise will build muscle and help create the look you want once the fat is gone.

Comment

Yeah, kinda forget about the calories. I tracked myself with myfitness pal. I was supposed to stay at 1200 for 2lb a week weight loss. I lost nothing. I had some days in there with -5000 calories for the day. That's a deficit of 5000 calories. First of all, I do not believe that the exercise resulted in that much deficit and second of all, if it did, where was the magic 2lb a week weight loss? After all, with the combined exercise and diet my calories were actually a little below 1200 on average.

FH is right. Don't count calories. Do it so you know what you are doing, especially if you have overeating issues and need a reality check. But that calories in/out stuff is crap. Sure, it works for a while but it backfires terribly. Examples:

Scenario 1: Low calorie dieting
                            - Low calories
                            - You don't realize it but you have less energy, you move less, you fidget less, you get up from your desk less, you opt out of an extra lap or whatever. Less energy out ensues naturally.
                            - Low enough calories and you lack enough nutrients for optimum mental and physical health.
                            - Low enough calories and you get depression. You stay indoors, out of the sun. You sleep more. You lie down more.
                            - Low enough calories and your body consumes its own muscles. With less muscles you use calories at rest.
                            - Your metabolism slows because you are slowly starving.
                            - Vicious circle.

Scenario 2: Exercise more
                            - Excessive exercise, lots of cardio, more time in the gym, super long hikes
                            - Lost of initial weight loss. Then...
                            - You get more inflammation and cortisol. You puff up some.
                            - Your body consumes itself to keep the calories up. You get weak but you soldier on.
                            - With less muscle mass your body needs less calories at rest. You either stop losing or gain weight so you put in even more exercise.
                            - More inflammation and cortisol. More pain and puffiness.
                            - You get really super hungry. You can fight it for a while but you WILL cave to it. You eat more.
                            - Ack! Weight gain! More exercise!
                            - Vicious circle.

Scenario 3a: Eat more (aka, you give up, fall off the wagon)
                            - More calories in of fake food like pastries, candy, typical SAD food which is all basically a combo of bread, cheese and tomatoes.
                            - You gain weight. Maybe it's too many calories. Maybe it's inflammation from bad food.
                            - You might try more exercise or dieting as above.
                            - You feel depressed and unhappy with the weight gain and lack of nutrition.
                            - Maybe you get metabolically sick.
                            - Vicious circle.

Scenario 3b: Eat more
                            - More calories in of real food like meat and vegetables.
                            - You feel energetic and happy
                            - You move more. You do an extra lap. You decide today to sprint. You actually clean the kitchen including the floor and the nooks and crannies. You find a project instead of turning on the TV.
                            - You build more muscles just from the extra moving around and sometimes even from just the influx of adequate protein.
                            - At rest, being more muscular, you burn more calories just sitting there.
                            - You feel even more energetic and happy. You do even more with your body.
                            - Vicious circle.
                            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                              Yeah, kinda forget about the calories. I tracked myself with myfitness pal. I was supposed to stay at 1200 for 2lb a week weight loss. I lost nothing. I had some days in there with -5000 calories for the day. That's a deficit of 5000 calories. First of all, I do not believe that the exercise resulted in that much deficit and second of all, if it did, where was the magic 2lb a week weight loss? After all, with the combined exercise and diet my calories were actually a little below 1200 on average.
                              I guess that is where I am at. I track. I was finding that I was eating too low. When I went LC, VLC, I was full on 800 - 900. I added butter and CO and got it up to 1200 at least, with some days of more. Last week, doing the CT, I was eating upwards of 1400 - 1500 but that is back down again now.

I stopped exercising as much when I went LC. I heard you won't have energy, etc so I just stopped, even though I dont think it affected me like that because I had been slowly cutting back for months so I didnt really notice any adverse affects. And rather than adding back in structured workouts, I worked out getting stuff done around my house. Like planting trees, shrubs, planting my garden etc. It really felt great. So I stayed active, but weight loss stalled, well 1 pound in April. 5.5 pounds in May. I know it gets harder to lose as you go along, but I still am only about half way there. Maybe even a little more to go than that.

So what spurred my initial question, was that I am ready to add back in more ST or some kind of "exercise" other than working outside. And I watched this chick last night work her ass off and while I don't want to devote 4 or 5 hours, I could devote 1 - 2, but was worried about not eating enough. Can't believe that is even a concern, but I am just not as hungry anymore. But I am sure that would change and take care of itself but I wanted to be prepared ahead of time because when I tracked, I had huge daily deficits but no movement on the scale. I started doing tabata again last week on my elliptical a couple times a week. My sister wants to do Zumba twice a week starting this week, or some sort of DVD twice a week. I don't enjoy that all that much. I like the circuit type workouts better so I think I will push her in that direction. I have PX whatever, and I think we have Insanity but I dont think I am ready for that yet. Was thinking more along the lines of Slim in 6 or Mama wants her body back. I havent even opened that one yet so I dont even remember what it was about but seemed like it was a good idea at the time I ordered it, which was pre-primal days.

I just want to be as efficient as possible. I have yet to do a 48 hour fast. I IF most days till lunch so this keeps calories on the lower end. I have done a couple of 24s and when I do, calories are even lower.

Sorry to babble on. Just trying to wrap my brain around what I should be doing.

Comment

Working...
                              X