Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

T or F: Carbs least important at breakfast and dinner?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T or F: Carbs least important at breakfast and dinner?

Last edited by secret agent girl; 12-25-2014, 05:54 AM.

i don't think it makes that much of a difference. i'll eat carbs at both times, and sometimes i'll not eat carbs at either time.

the body will be most insulin sensitive at night, as part of a natural cycle. i wouldn't read to much into that though, as we can still burn glucose at any time.

Comment

Different strokes for different folks. I only eat one meal a day, so it's kind of moot...
      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
        Different strokes for different folks. I only eat one meal a day, so it's kind of moot...
        Just wondering, Knifegill, what time of day do you eat your one meal? I was thinking about going to one a day and would like to know what the optimal time would be. Thanks!

Comment

Depends on a lot of factors and what your goals are. I only eat one meal a day and I prefer to eat that meal when I wake up, so breakfast is a carb-fest for me and the rest of the day I IF till the next breakfast.

I've experimented with two meal a day before, where breakfast was low carb and dinner was high carb, IF and working out inbetween, but I found that I just don't sleep well with a full stomach. It makes me feel all ill and such so I cut dinner out and went to one meal a day.

Do some self experimentation, test things out-try a week on different eating plans/styles and see what works for you.
          Went Primal July 25th, 2011.

Current Age: 25

Total Loss: 126 lbs

Starting Stats: Weighed 266 lbs, Body Fat 37.6% (100 lbs), BMI 40.9

Current Stats: Weight 140 lbs, Body Fat 15.2% (21.1 lbs), BMI 21.2

Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

Comment

Depends on your life, to be honest. I was having it before work, but I work night shift so it made sense to eat it in the evening. But that meant less time with my wife - so I just switched it to morning (before bed) and it's working out WAY better. The body should adapt to either, as long as you are consistent. But on my weekend (six days off) I eat pretty randomly to keep my system on its toes.
            Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Focusing my carb intake on my evening meal works best for me, and helps me sleep better. I certainly recommend that you experiment to find out what works best for you.

Some people are more sensitive than others to timing, and many find that they become less sensitive as their metabolism and body clock heal.
              F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

I think that many women find it works best to put the carbs at dinner or at least the 2nd half of the day. A high protein breakfast helps with leptin sensitivity and seems to make it easier not to snack and graze all day. Carbs later in the day help you sleep and help with insulin sensitivity. At least some women report these things.

This article I read today was pretty interesting.
                Paleo For Women | Carbohydrates for Fertility and Health
                Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Your body burns dietary fat before it burns stored body fat. If you are eating less carbs, you're filling the space with more fat so you just have more fat to burn through before you tap into stores. It doesn't matter if you eat fat or carbs in terms of weight loss, it comes down to the energy deficit. Eating 1,200 calories of carbs will take you out of "fat burning mode", but if that's all you eat all day you're going to burn more fat than if you ate 1,800 calories of butter and steak assuming similar protein intake.

Listen to your body and give it what it wants. If you're having a carb craving, your brain probably wants glucose. If you don't want carbs, don't eat them. I prefer to eat my carbier meal at my last meal of the day because carbs help you sleep. I'd rather have the bottom of the blood sugar curve fall around bedtime than while I'm working.
                  Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 06-07-2012, 07:55 PM.
                  Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

I'm a night-carber.

Early meals tend to be higher protein & fat. Carbs usually happen after mid-day, and are preferable at night or before bed. They make me sleepy.

Comment

Originally posted by secret agent girl
                      I've read other places, including on Nora G's site/book that carbs late in the day can cause sugar levels to (?drop) in the middle of the night, causing awakenings. Does that have any credibility with anyone here willing to speak up?
                      My night wakings have nothing to do with my evening carbs and everything to do with a bladder the size of a peanut.
                      F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

**1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

**First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                        I think that many women find it works best to put the carbs at dinner or at least the 2nd half of the day. A high protein breakfast helps with leptin sensitivity and seems to make it easier not to snack and graze all day. Carbs later in the day help you sleep and help with insulin sensitivity. At least some women report these things.

This article I read today was pretty interesting.
                        Paleo For Women | Carbohydrates for Fertility and Health
                        True in my case as well and I am a woman!

Comment

There was a study I linked to a while back and those that ate their carbs in the evening showed better weight loss and by avoiding carbs during the day found it easier to stick to the controlled calories they were on.
                          Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                          PS
                          Don't forget to play!

Comment

All my carbs, are P.M. because I skip breakfast. But seem to be somewhat averaged out over lunch and dinner and sometimes a snack mid afternoon. If I have a mid-afternoon snack, that is the bulk of my carbs cuz it is usually greek yogurt w/banana. On the occasion that I have a sweet potato, it is a small amount at dinner time w/DH. Then I can see if I can afford it in my carb count at the end of the day. I dont eat after dinner.

If I were to have carbs for breakfast, I would be hungry in a couple of hours. I guess I should pay attention and experiment with few to none for lunch and see how it goes. I go to sleep just fine, but I awake to getting too hot but can usually go back to sleep.

I see more carbs in my future though, when watermelon and cantaloupe are ready in the garden. I am hoping Grok really liked both.
                            65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

There have been at least a couple studies that have suggested advantage towards biasing food/carbohydrate consumption toward later in the day with respect to body composition. While I'm not certain of the actual mechanism(insulin sensitivity may play a role), there seems to be at least a bit of evidence to back up the idea that a lighter(in terms of both carbs and overall size) breakfast and lunch combined with a heavier dinner have a slight advantage - and some might argue in favor of taking this a step further to actual IF.

For me, my carbs tend to be biased towards the evening, simply because on workout days(when my carb intake is heavier out of necessity), my workout is after work - typically somewhere between 6 and 8 PM, and my post-workout meal containing most of my carbs follows shortly thereafter.

Comment

Working...
                              X