Prepping veggies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prepping veggies

I buy different types of veggies depending on my budget, what's in season, cost, etc. Sometimes I buy organic, sometimes not, and sometimes frozen. My question is this: How do you prep your veggies before you cook and eat them? Do you treat organic vegetables differently than non-organic, and do you treat those differently than frozen?

Nope. I'm very basic at my cooking level though so I just chop what needs to be chopped, peel what needs to be peeled and I leave alone what's already set, spinach for instance I just wash. Umm, I should probably wash all of them now that I think about it, but meh.

I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

By wash, do you mean just rinse, or something more intensive?

I just rinse all of mine, but I'm not sure if I should be doing something more or just not bothering.

Comment

i like to steam them, bought a steamer. sometimes stir fry them, and now and again baked

Comment

I meant just rinse, my mom always rinses her so monkey see monkey do. I don't think you need to worry about the cleanliness of them much further. Like I said, the only thing I worry about rinsing is spinach but that's because sometimes there's visible dirt on it, if there isn't I don't bother with that either.

How do you like your veggies? I mostly stir fry/sautee mine. Sometimes for a more "steamed" feel I just do a slow sautee using coconut milk, when I fry I use coconut oil or bacon grease. I don't like doing veggies in bacon grease though, don't exactly love the taste.

Comment

I like roasted veggies, some of them steamed over chicken broth, raw for others. I recently found that leftover brussel spouts are really good with fried eggs and bacon!

But as for treating frozen, organic, fresh, non-organic differently...I've always cooked (in some fashion) anything I buy frozen, but that's really the only difference.

Comment

I almost always sautee mine. I rinse frozen veggies in cold water for a few minutes first, though. I rinse all of them but it's such a pain in the arse. I'm not a big fan of them in bacon grease either, I prefer coconut oil.

Anniegebel, do you rinse or clean the veggies you cook, or do you not bother since you're cooking them anyways?

Comment

At the restaurant I work at I've noticed the cooks will boil some heads of broccoli then put them in an ice bath. Usually just for the day but I wonder how well that would work for more than one day... anybody ever tried pre-cooking vegetables to store them cold for later use?

Comment

a few of you said you don't like your bacon grease and veggies - but when trying to cook with bacon grease for the first time yesterday, i cooked thin asparagus with olive oil, butter & bacon grease with some garlic and chopped up cashews... it was ..wow! Pretty darn good!

Comment

I've never rinsed anything frozen. The fresh stuff I usually look at. I tend to be looking more for the grit (that I don't want to eat, or too much shine. If I see one of those...it gets at least wiped down if not rinsed.

@iniQuity...are the heads of broccoli only partially cooked, then? How do they reheat? I've heard of ice baths to stop the cooking process and retain bright colors, but not as storage...I'm curious!

Comment

I rinse everything, and if it's obvious they have that waxy coating on them to make them look shiny (like supermarket apples, cucumbers, eggplants, etc) I gently scrub them with a clean sponge that I save for that purpose. If it says it's pre-washed (lettuce in bags, some mushrooms) I usually trust it, which may or may not be a good idea.

I'm pretty sure those detergents they sell for washing veggies are a waste. I wouldn't mind one of those veggie cleaning brushes, though.

I don't really do anything different with organic.. except that I don't peel organic carrots, while I do peel conventional ones.

"mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Comment

iniQuity, I blanch veggies when I&#39;m going to be freezing them, but I&#39;ve never done it just to store them in the &#39;fridge. I don&#39;t know whether they&#39;d keep longer like that, or raw.

"mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Comment

For most of my veggies (broc, lettuce, etc.) I cut them then soak them in my salad spinner with water and some white vinegar for 5-10 mintues. (I think I heard somewhere that the expensive produce wash was just dilluted vinegar?) With veggies I peel (carrots, cukes, etc.) I may or may not give them a quick rinse first. When I eat apples or use citrus for zest, I tend to use just a teeny bit of soap on them because of the waxy coating. (Although with apples, I&#39;ve definitely just wiped them on my shirt and eaten them.)

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." -- Virginia Woolf

Comment

I always sautee veggies in bacon grease. Its absolutely delicious

Natural Selection: http://ichoosenaturalselection.wordpress.com

Comment

I like to grill my veggies....WITH CHARCOAL, not gas. It gives it a better flavor. A splash or EVOO or butter and some sea or kosher salt.

....I think I&#39;m gonna go light some charcoal...

Comment

Working...
                              X