How can I make myself drink water?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    I find mineral waters high in magnesium very appealing - specifically Badoit and San Pellegrino.
    San Pellegrino is what I really like to get. However, it is definitely one of the more expensive brands, so sometimes I make do with Gerolsteiner or some Blu Italy at Trader Joe's.
    My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Yes San Pellegrino is relatively expensive here in the UK too.

While I was in NE Italy a couple of months back I drank a Slovenian mineral water that was ultra high in magnesium - over 1 g per litre. I am not kidding. I had to cut back as it was causing some serious flatulence! I felt good on it though in spite of that.
      F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by paleo-bunny View Post
        While I was in NE Italy a couple of months back I drank a Slovenian mineral water that was ultra high in magnesium - over 1 g per litre. I am not kidding. I had to cut back as it was causing some serious flatulence! I felt good on it though in spite of that.
        Wow. Shouldn't you be concerned about that much magnesium in water?

Comment

I take 1200 mg of Elemental magnesium daily.

You shouldn't be very very concerned about minerals and vitamins in excess in food sources.
          Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
          (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Comment

Originally posted by Sandra in BC View Post
            major pet peeve of mine. Constantly used water bottles are filthy germ carriers, unless you run it through the dishwasher or sterilize it daily. I live in a first world country, in an area where abundant, clean, glacier-fed and rain water (treated along the way) flows out of the faucets. Seriously...bottled water companies across north america come here for their water supply. There is no need to carry water around, except *maybe* to and from a workout, or if you work outdoors away from city water. My friend brings hers into restaurants, as if her tap water is better than theirs. The loud sucking noise that comes out of the drip-proof straw when she drinks is like nails on a chalk board. Its like the sound of sucking food out of your teeth.

Well... I may not wash my water bottle very often at all but since the germs riding around on it CAME from my mouth in the first place I'm really not to worried about it. And yes, the tap water in this country generally won't kill you but that doesn't mean it all tastes good. I work in an OLD building so all the water either tastes like old pipes or new plastic pipes depending on which part of the building the water comes from. And my town is a bit over zealous with the chlorine (probably a good thing since our reservoir is in the middle of a cow pasture and then the water flows through an open ditch to town) for my taste so I have a water filter on my sink at home.

PLUS... I find I do not drink enough water if I rely on getting up and going to get a drink when I'm thirsty. I either DON'T get up or I just forget about it. If my water bottle is there next to me I drink it.

And I just go with the theory that if I really don't WANT water there is no reason to drink it. But I feel pretty good if I can down 2-3 liters of water a day (which is super easy if I just keep my water bottles filled up and !)
            And my bottle doesn't have a straw. I just take the top off to drink!

Comment

Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
              Wow. Shouldn't you be concerned about that much magnesium in water?
              Well I was in a heat wave so I was drinking several litres of mineral water a day. I only bought the Slovenian water because the local supermarket had sold out of San Pellegrino! I drank about a litre of it one day and my bowels told me I was overdosing. I'd say it's a healthy cure for constipation.

The extra magnesium seemed to help my energy levels tho - I didn't see the temperature outdoors fall below 28C during the last 6 days of the holiday, and it was 34-38 C throughout most of the day. I was walking at least 10 km each day sightseeing, so felt I should make extra effort to get plenty of electrolytes.

I'm inclined to agree with Jack Kruse, that generally most of us can't get enough magnesium.
              F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Hmmmm do we lose magnesium when we're sweating?

Comment

Working...
                X