quality meat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quality meat

I know the point of all this is health. Therefore, I do not want to be eating meat the isn't of high quality. Ideally my beef would be organic, grass fed, my chicken wouldn't contain antibiotics or hormones, and so on. However, I live on a small Caribbean island and finding quality meat is very difficult. What to doooooo?

Buy the best that is available. That's your only choice.

Comment

Lots of seafood!! And what about goat meat? Local is probably your best bet.

Comment

I think that a good rule of thumb is to get meat (all food really) with as short a supply chain as possible. Ideally, farmer -> you.

Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
        Lots of seafood!! And what about goat meat? Local is probably your best bet.
        Absolutely this. Fish > red meat (despite how it might seem around here sometimes).
        Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
        5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
        Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
        TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
        bloodorchid is always right

Comment

my only concern with this is mercury levels as I am breast feeding but I do eat wild salmon weekly.

Comment

I agree - the best you can do.
            My Blog: A Girl Worth Saving
            My Cookbook: Paleo Eats

Comment

Do the best you can. It's not always possible or feasible to stick to a pure form of primal in which one eats only organic, grass-fed, free-range...etc. It seems to be that your small island can offer a lot more nutritious, local foods than most of us can get anyway. And seafood's gotta be cheaper. I would do some research on the safer types of fish to eat that contains little contaminants and heavy metals, and supplement your diet with local produce, of which there's bound to be plenty.
              F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

you would think, right? turns out this island has poor soil=not a lot of produce. also not a lot of fresh local fish. but i shall do my best

Comment

Where you live?

Comment

I heard that a lot of the selenium in fish negate most of the effects of the mercury you would be absorbing.
                    My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Do the best you can -- and if that means non-organic and/or non local, so be it. This is supposed to be stress free.
                      F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

**1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

**First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

Comment

Mercury is only a concern if you live near the factory that released it once and poisoned all the fish, which then poisoned a few people decades ago. That's right. All the paranoia about fish and mercury came from ONE isolated industrial accident decades ago. You can live on fish. You can eat fish all day every day and be golden. The amount of mercury you would pass onto your breast-feeding child is nothing, a trace, nada, because you are also getting so much selenium. Just stick to small, oily fish that live short lives and eat mostly krill and plankton (mackerel, herring, sardines, etc.), and avoid large, old fish that eat other fish (shark, tuna, etc.).
                        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                          Mercury is only a concern if you live near the factory that released it once and poisoned all the fish, which then poisoned a few people decades ago. That's right. All the paranoia about fish and mercury came from ONE isolated industrial accident decades ago. You can live on fish. You can eat fish all day every day and be golden. The amount of mercury you would pass onto your breast-feeding child is nothing, a trace, nada, because you are also getting so much selenium. Just stick to small, oily fish that live short lives and eat mostly krill and plankton (mackerel, herring, sardines, etc.), and avoid large, old fish that eat other fish (shark, tuna, etc.).
                          Yeah, don't worry about fish. That seems like your best option.
                          Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                          5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                          Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                          TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                          bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Working...
                          X