Has Dr. Andrew Weil gone Primal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has Dr. Andrew Weil gone Primal?

Sure seem like he's shifted his message that way recently.

Check out today's HuffPo offering: don't eat lots of "small meals," try IFing, and refences to evolutionary impact on diet.

Seem to recall in my CW days that Weil was a proponent of low-fat, yet here he is saying:

It's no coincidence, I think, that obesity rates began rising rapidly in the 1980s more or less in tandem with this widespread endorsement of more frequent meals. (The other major culprit was the government's scientifically shaky "low-fat" dietary recommendation that led to rampant overconsumption of carbohydrates.)
    Welcome aboard, doctor!

I understand he's been moving for some time. i think he embraced saturated fats some while back. My guess would be that he's aware of Paleo and of what low-carb physicians have been saying.

Comment

Kind of makes sense, since he's the anti-inflammatory diet guy. IF is a good tool to reduce inflammation.
      "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

His anti-inflammatory food pyramid is still not very primal but maybe he will get to that eventually.

I subscribe to him, can't remember why now, but I dont know, there is something about him. Maybe his beard just makes him look a little on the tubby side and I have a hard time taking diet advice from a tubby-ish professional. Now someone walking the walk and still a work in progress, that is different. But someone that makes his living from promoting a healthy lifestyle... I dont know. I am probably just not seeing something right. I am sure he is perfectly fine, it's probably just me. He might be at his set point and perfectly fine. Who am I to judge.
        65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

He's still not advocating the elimination of grains from the diet, but this is a major step in the right direction from him. One can only hope he'll continue to further be enlightened!
          "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

"that led to rampant overconsumption of carbohydrates."

I wouldn't celebrate quite yet ... sounds like he's just advocating the "moderation" approach... like Dr. Oz and Paula Deen. :roll: That said, if his CW is breaking, that's a good sign. Once CW breaks, it's usually a downhill struggle with primal/paleo waiting at the bottom.
            5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

He's certainly getting there. I think he's still pretty chummy with whole grains and recommends soy "for the omega-3," but his overall message is pretty similar now.

Which is great, because people are far more likely to listen to Santa Claus than your typical paleo advocate.

Comment

Originally posted by Timthetaco View Post
                and recommends soy "for the omega-3,"
                Balancing Omega-3 and Omega-6? - Dr. Weil

In this post he advocates AGAINST consuming soy oil for the massive amounts of omega-6s that it contains. I'd hardly call that a vote of favor for soy, ESPECIALLY for its omega-3 content.
                "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

his beard has gone primal -

Comment

Originally posted by gopintos View Post
                    Maybe his beard just makes him look a little on the tubby side and I have a hard time taking diet advice from a tubby-ish professional.
                    You're being too kind. Like another tubby doc that wrote a diet book, paging Dr. Phil.
                    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Comment

My favorite quote from the article is by far the somewhat sarcastic...

Frankly, today in America, simply eating three meals with no snacks might be called a form of IF, if only by way of contrast.
                      My Primal Journal - Food, pics, the occasional rant, so...the usual.

I love cooking. It's sexy science that you stuff in your face. - carlh

Comment

Weil is playing all the angles IMO, he sells stuff. He is on the board of advisors for the reality twisting Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine who are best buds with PETA.

True he has changed some of his thinking in the last few years but he still hangs his shingle with the crazy zealots and their bogus science.

Was looking for this and finally found The Natural Human Diet
                        Last edited by Moochy; 06-06-2012, 08:55 PM.
                        Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
                        READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

Comment

Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
                          Balancing Omega-3 and Omega-6? - Dr. Weil

In this post he advocates AGAINST consuming soy oil for the massive amounts of omega-6s that it contains. I'd hardly call that a vote of favor for soy, ESPECIALLY for its omega-3 content.
                          There's "whole soy foods" once to twice a day on his pyramid. I didn't mean soy oil, and I guess I misspoke about omega-3's.

Comment

He's in the documentary In Search of The Perfect Human Diet which is paleo diet doc. In it he says eating fats don't make you fat
                            Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Comment

Originally posted by IvyBlue View Post
                              You're being too kind. Like another tubby doc that wrote a diet book, paging Dr. Phil.
                              Maybe when he cuts the wheat, he will cut the tubby also.
                              65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

Working...
                              X