No announcement yet.

Cold Water for Fat Loss, Muscle Recovery, and Increased Metabolism Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whoops! I iced my love handles last night and apparently one of the brands ice packs is super cold because I have a bit o frostbite, just a red area on one handle. How long do you ice for?

Also I do not own a tub, just a shower, will cold showers work as well? I could also go down to the river sometimes, water is from the mountains and averages about 51 degrees Fahrenheit.

Does the time really matter?
    Notebook of a Nutrition Nerd

‘THE FOOD YOU EAT CAN BE THE SAFEST AND MOST POWERFUL FORM OF MEDICINE OR THE SLOWEST RELEASING POISON' - Dr Ann Wigmore.

Comment

• In fact, I don’t know the real benefits of cold water when it comes to scientifically basis. But I have friends that they said that cold water is really good. Cold water helps their body and it’s true.

Last edited by Dwayne; 07-06-2012, 08:49 PM.

Comment

• I tried a cold shower after my steam shower. It lasted all of 3 seconds

I think a cold bath is my MUCH preferred delivery system, however I havent done that for several days. I have however been using my foodsavered ice pack, for over an hour each night, moving it to different spots. I dont know if it is helping but it isnt hurting.
        65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

• Style - That was an awesome synopsis. I have also found using the cold to my advantage has much the same benefits as you. But without proper diet and exercise, it's close to worthless. I tried numerous tweaks such as IF'ing, carb refeeds, calorie cycling, protein shakes, LC, VLC, CRON, and others. In the end, the tweaks that really made a difference were IF and cold. These are two tweaks I was able to incorporate into my life and found them to be very easy, natural even.

I have noticed that once people find their groove, they get off these forums and just live a normal life. I can see myself in that boat. It gets old trying to persuade people that it's good for them to get cold. I like seeing so many people trying this, but it's an area that is so simple you don't need to buy anything special, there are really no books on the subject, and nobody is getting rich. My kind of fad!

Comment

• Originally posted by gopintos View Post
            I tried a cold shower after my steam shower. It lasted all of 3 seconds

I think a cold bath is my MUCH preferred delivery system, however I havent done that for several days. I have however been using my foodsavered ice pack, for over an hour each night, moving it to different spots. I dont know if it is helping but it isnt hurting.
            gopintos,

I tried using a food saver freezer pack, it seemed to warm up in 15 minutes, though I held it on my belly for an hour. I start my showera out a bit warm. More tepid if anything else. Then when I am well acclimated, I turn it down to the point it is a little uncomfortable and wait until I am used to that and then I turn down some more. I keep repeating the process until I have the faucet all the way. I usually just CT my front or my back, but I have experimented with turning at the start of the different steps. When I do just one side, I try to get water to at least the top of the opposite side.

otzi,
            The intermittent fasting is working for me despite cheating. Around dinner time I am making dinner for my kids and I taste test. That leads to more than just a taste. Tonight I had to run an errand right as I was about to start dinner. I didn't want to leave it cooking on the stove, so I stopped for pizza. I got home and had my usual three slices, without thinking. I get hungry at the evening meal time and really have to concentrate to power through it. Before absent mindedly eating the pizza, I was actually thinking to myself that this would be the day I didn't have a major fail. Oh well, there will be Thursday.

LJ
            Learning the intricacies of healthy eating and nourishing my body the right way.
            I am not bald, that is a Vitamin D collector. Time to Grok and Roll!
            Eased into a primal diet starting at Christmas 2011. Goal weight - 205 started: 240 pounds waist 40, now 227 pounds and waist 38 Summer 2012 - weight =215 and waist is actually still 39"
            ljbprrfmof = LJ = Little John = John

Comment

• Originally posted by ljbprrfmof View Post
              gopintos,

I tried using a food saver freezer pack, it seemed to warm up in 15 minutes, though I held it on my belly for an hour.

I used the more narrow width bag, and made it about 2 feet long. The way I have to put it in the freezer (my freezers are jam packed) so it kind of drapes and gets a natural little curve to it. I put it inside a pillow case and it really doesnt bother me at all to use that. I made two other smaller ones but I havent used those yet. One time when I took a bath, I took my 2 ft long ice pack with me

Comment

I used the more narrow width bag, and made it about 2 feet long. The way I have to put it in the freezer (my freezers are jam packed) so it kind of drapes and gets a natural little curve to it. I put it inside a pillow case and it really doesnt bother me at all to use that. I made two other smaller ones but I havent used those yet. One time when I took a bath, I took my 2 ft long ice pack with me
                gopintos,

I see now, mine was just a short 8 or 9 inches. And the pillowcase is what is protecting your skin, I guess it is different from putting it directly on your skin like otzi does with his zip-lock bag filled with ice cubes and water.

LJ
                Learning the intricacies of healthy eating and nourishing my body the right way.
                I am not bald, that is a Vitamin D collector. Time to Grok and Roll!
                Eased into a primal diet starting at Christmas 2011. Goal weight - 205 started: 240 pounds waist 40, now 227 pounds and waist 38 Summer 2012 - weight =215 and waist is actually still 39"
                ljbprrfmof = LJ = Little John = John

Comment

• Originally posted by ljbprrfmof View Post
                  his zip-lock bag filled with ice cubes and waterJ
                  Mine does start to melt, so eventually it makes a big ice cube in water pack, but it still has a lot of frozen to it also even after more than an hour.

Getting it to seal the first time was tricky....

Comment

• Started to get menstral cramps this morning, and thought, 'I would if a cold bath would help?' So I took one, for about 45 minutes. No cramps for the rest of the day, no knee pain, which is pretty typical on the first day for me (I think it's a water retention/inflammation issue thing). No advil. Awesome!

Comment

• I tried the bath yesterday morning and found it a lot harder than a cold shower and it did not leave me nearly as refreshed. In fact it made me feel sluggish and this continued the rest of the day. I may try it again some other time but I think I will stick to the showers.
                      Anyone else get this sluggish feeling?
                      I did have hypothermia on a bike trip back in 07 and my body took forever to recover from that stress.

I will try the ice packs next.

Comment

• Originally posted by Classic View Post
                        Anyone else get this sluggish feeling?
                        Well, I do it in the evenings, after supper, after some fat, and then I am in bed within a few hours. So maybe Oh, I just realized, I havent slept quite as well the last few nights, and I havent had my CT bath the past few nights. Co-inky dink maybe. I can't think of anything else at the moment.

Comment

• Originally posted by otzi View Post
                          Style - In the end, the tweaks that really made a difference were IF and cold. These are two tweaks I was able to incorporate into my life and found them to be very easy, natural even.
                          I have had the same experience with IF and cold. I have not been using water for the cold, however. The predawn air here is quite cool all year so that my two 20 inch high velocity fans give me quite a chill in 45 minutes. Sometimes I come in and warm my hands up at length in the cold tap water. It's an interesting cognitive dissonance for me. I started doing this on a lark at the beginning of May and now I am hooked on it. I have suffered for a few years with a slight benign prostate enlargment which causes the occasional sudden urge to urinate at inconvenient times and got me up several times per night to pee. This problem completely dissapeared in just a few weeks. Also I don't remember ever sleeping so deeply or so long.

Originally posted by otzi View Post
                          Style -
                          I have noticed that once people find their groove, they get off these forums and just live a normal life.
                          I registered here just to thank you for these threads on cold therapy that you put up here and on the Kruse forum.
                          I have learned a lot from them and I even use oil pulling on my teeth now! Thank you.
                          Last edited by Jamous; 06-13-2012, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Well, I do it in the evenings, after supper, after some fat, and then I am in bed within a few hours. So maybe Oh, I just realized, I havent slept quite as well the last few nights, and I havent had my CT bath the past few nights. Co-inky dink maybe. I can't think of anything else at the moment.
                            ahh, perhaps I will try it in the evening next time and stick to the showers in the morning. Thanks

Comment

• I've heard about this from other sources (millions of Swedes can't be wrong) and I'm going to give it a try. Cold showers at first and see how it feels.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamous View Post
                                I registered here just to thank you for these threads on cold therapy that you put up here and on the Kruse forum.
                                I have learned a lot from them and I even use oil pulling on my teeth now! Thank you.
                                Thanks! That means a lot. On oil pulling, I think it goes perfectly with CT. Two cheap, easy, and effective health measures with mega impact.

Comment

Working...
                                X