Cold Water for Fat Loss, Muscle Recovery, and Increased Metabolism Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leida View Post
    For me the whole cold thermogenesis is a blast from the past, from the cheerful Soviet 1930ies when it was widely popular. In Russia it was always popular for men for centuries (but not recommended for women for the fear of womanly afflictions to the whole child-bearing systems).

Anyway, taking cold showers and adding a cold shower a couple of times when doing a steam room did an absolute zilch for me, as well as life-long of freezing to half death during long winters and year-round morning walks first in unbenevolent climate of Russia, then in the unbenevolent climate of Canada. This, and the observation of very fat 'walruses' or 'morj' who jump into the holes in the ice every winter in Russia makes me a skeptic in the whole cold immersion reduces fat thing.
    Yeah, this reminds me of my Minnesota relatives all enjoying their saunas followed by a cold plunge off the end of the dock into the lake (in summer) or into the snow (in winter.)

I couldn't see doing this myself. The only way you're getting me into cold water is maybe if I fall out of a kayak into the ocean. If you can get me into the kayak in the first place.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I do have a question though. Does this require cold water? Does cold air work? Does being almost hypothermic work, as in really super cold, maybe losing the ability to work the fingers, but not yet shivering and stupid?

Comment

Leida, if humans were walruses, and lived in polar water a great deal, then we would need all that extra blubber. Plus they have a high fish intake. Eskimos have round faces, but not round bodies, the ones who never went the white man's SAD route. Diet is very important, more so than cold, but I'm trying cold packs for love handles that are out of control.;-)

Comment

Eskimos. The kids came in after swimming and were in the master tub which is huge so they both can be in there together, and after the insane amount of bubbles, they went to straight cold water. My grandson said they wanted to be eskimos. The cold water doesnt phase them in the slightest.
          65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

Originally posted by Leida View Post
            For me the whole cold thermogenesis is a blast from the past, from the cheerful Soviet 1930ies when it was widely popular. In Russia it was always popular for men for centuries (but not recommended for women for the fear of womanly afflictions to the whole child-bearing systems).

Anyway, taking cold showers and adding a cold shower a couple of times when doing a steam room did an absolute zilch for me, as well as life-long of freezing to half death during long winters and year-round morning walks first in unbenevolent climate of Russia, then in the unbenevolent climate of Canada. This, and the observation of very fat 'walruses' or 'morj' who jump into the holes in the ice every winter in Russia makes me a skeptic in the whole cold immersion reduces fat thing.
            I, too, was very skeptical at first. Living in Alaska, I see obese people, diabetics, and 'morj' everywhere. The key is diet and exercise. You can be as cold as possible, but if you are eating total crap and not moving it won't make a difference. For someone wanting to lose a little extra fat on the tummy, the science is there to do it with ice.

Comment

Originally posted by gopintos View Post
              Now that's interesting.

Did I read that some feel it curbs appetite? I dont know why but the past 2 days, I could eat a bear. I have still kept my calories under 1600, so far. Today might go a little more but I am normally in the 1000 - 1200 range.

The baths and doing my tabata on the elliptical yesterday morning are the only things I have done different. I had meant to cut out greek yogurt and bananas and almonds, but today, I had some anyways, well minus the almonds. I also came off an intense past couple of weeks, lots of physical activity around my home & out of town family - a house full.

So I don't know what's up with that.

oops. 1658 yesterday

Here's the deal on hunger, and no one can dispute this. When you are cold, you have no hunger. It doesn't matter how hungry you are--when you go into very cold air or water, your hunger disappears. Maybe if you obsess and overthink you can will your hunger back, but in the normal course, cold instantly kills hunger.

Now, when you warm back up is when you can get in trouble. You need to be mindful not to overeat later, same as people who exercise then eat a carton of ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by Sihana
                Chiming in. When I plateaued, while I was leaning out, I still was not actually making the scale move. A 30-minute soak in 65 degree water, and the next day the scale started moving (this was over a week ago). Perhaps it is a coincidence or placebo, but that little bit was enough to get my BAT burning. Now, I take a 70 degree shower (cannot get the water colder until fall) every two days, doing face soaks every day. I have not been ice packing since starting the showers.

Some other benefits, which I mentioned in last thread, were increased deep sleep and no muscle soreness at all after sprints. A new 'benefit' started appearing two showers ago: Any body hair that is growing in, got thicker! D:
                I'm impressed with your signature line for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                  I do have a question though. Does this require cold water? Does cold air work? Does being almost hypothermic work, as in really super cold, maybe losing the ability to work the fingers, but not yet shivering and stupid?
                  It works in air, however, water is 26 times more conductive than air in transferring heat, so 50 degree air is no where near 50 degree water in terms of thermal load. I was able to lower my garage to just above freezing last winter and worked out in 35-40 degrees, I also like to get outside as long as possible in as cold as possible of weather. The ears and hands get coldest fastest, so gloves and hat may be in order. I find the temp range of -10 to +10 to really get the fires burning, so to speak.

There are large numbers of folks who turn their thermostats down to 50, drive with no heat, wear light clothing in Winter, etc... who report great benefits. Remember, any time your body is in a position to warm itself, calories are burnt to do it. There's no other way. The further you get from 98 degree air, the higher your RMR or BMR. 71 degrees is said to be the thermoneutral point for a lightly clothed human, the sweet spot where no extra calories are required to keep warm.

Comment

Originally posted by gopintos View Post
                    Eskimos. The kids came in after swimming and were in the master tub which is huge so they both can be in there together, and after the insane amount of bubbles, they went to straight cold water. My grandson said they wanted to be eskimos. The cold water doesnt phase them in the slightest.
                    I love seeing little kids play in cold water, they shiver like crazy but have huge grins! Kids still have most of their BAT til they are 8 or 9 then start losing it.

Comment

Jumping in here...As I write this I have two ice packs on my stomach. After 3 c-sections everything on my lower stomach area is a mess.

My question is this: When you spot ice, how long do you leave the ice on? I've been doing it for an hour each day for about 4 days but I'm not sure if that's long enough or maybe too long? I've not had any bruising or pain afterwards so I'm taking that as a good sign...BTW, I'm using plastic ice packs directly on my skin.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Very helpful!

Comment

Originally posted by otzi View Post
                        Now, when you warm back up is when you can get in trouble. You need to be mindful not to overeat later, same as people who exercise then eat a carton of ice cream.
                        ah well maybe that explains it. I ended up with 1673 today, about 400 - 600 more than usual but it is probably okay because sometimes I think I was too low. But knowing and being mindful will def. help me tomorrow.

I went with straight cold tonight. I ate about 3 oz of steak first. I stayed about 35 minutes. As soon as I got out and dressed, (i did put on some socks this time) my internal furnace kicked on and I am hot in various places. I did that briefly while in the tub also.

I havent tried the spot ice yet.
                        65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

Originally posted by otzi View Post
                          Here's the deal on hunger, and no one can dispute this. When you are cold, you have no hunger. It doesn't matter how hungry you are--when you go into very cold air or water, your hunger disappears. Maybe if you obsess and overthink you can will your hunger back, but in the normal course, cold instantly kills hunger.

A few weeks ago I was hiking in the rain. I had eaten two US Wellness Pemmican bars and had hiked all day and done trail maintenance. My job was to toss large branches over the side of the trail. Pretty tiring work. After a while it started to rain. My poncho was shredded by the brush in about 5 minutes. I got very wet and very cold, being still March and about 4000 feet elevation. By the time I was setting up my shelter for the night, my hands were numb and I was shivering but not yet stupid. Despite having eaten about 800-1000 calories the entire day, I was not hungry at all. I forced myself to eat some chocolate but I couldn't bring myself to make dinner. I should have made something hot to eat but all I wanted to do was cuddle in my sleeping bag.

So yeah, you're right. If you are truly very cold, you lose your hunger for sure.

I ride a scooter most of the time. I hate being cold when I ride. But I could make a point to try and reduce the amount of jackets and stuff I wear and see if that does anything. Or I could just keep backpacking. I keep getting the same cold windy rainy weather every time and I am too dumb to get better gear.

Comment

Originally posted by jhagans View Post
                            Jumping in here...As I write this I have two ice packs on my stomach. After 3 c-sections everything on my lower stomach area is a mess.

My question is this: When you spot ice, how long do you leave the ice on? I've been doing it for an hour each day for about 4 days but I'm not sure if that's long enough or maybe too long? I've not had any bruising or pain afterwards so I'm taking that as a good sign...BTW, I'm using plastic ice packs directly on my skin.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Very helpful!
                            your skin should be cherry red but not white and the goal is to get skin temps down to 50-55F
                            it`s a YMMV situation. If you use gel packs with alcohol in them those get colder than straight water so you have to be very careful with them.
                            get a laser thermometer and monitor your skin temps if you like.

Comment

have absolutely nothing to contribute as this is my first time hearing about this cold healing treatment, but wanted to say i am enjoying reading all the comments and experiences. Pretty interesting stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by maile1 View Post
                                your skin should be cherry red but not white and the goal is to get skin temps down to 50-55F
                                it`s a YMMV situation. If you use gel packs with alcohol in them those get colder than straight water so you have to be very careful with them.
                                get a laser thermometer and monitor your skin temps if you like.
                                You got it right. When I was using the ziplocks w/ice&water, I'd leave them in one area for 15-20 minutes then shift to a new area. I'd do it as long as I could, usually I'd get about an hour out of a baggie.

There is a real danger of giving yourself frostbite. Cherry red is good, white means frost bite zone.

Comment

Working...
                                X