Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cold Water for Fat Loss, Muscle Recovery, and Increased Metabolism Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I find the baths, submerging my whole body (except feet, hands, head) is much easier than showering. Once you're in, it's really peaceful. Showering is really a lot more difficult, because parts of your body are always warmer.

    The first day I did the bath, I only filled the tub 1/3 full and got the water down to 62. By the end of that 1st time, I was ready for mid-50's.
    Truly Paleo since 1/1/2012 (Doing Leptin reset)
    Turned 50 on 3/8/2012 !!!
    5'2" Female
    11/27/2011: 162.8 lbs.
    7/15/12 : 148.6 lbs.
    Clean Paleo diet: Lots of CO, Meat, Seafood, and doing CT 5x/week, 40 mins @ 50-52 degrees F

    Comment


    • About the sleep-inducing effect -
      would it happen with just the face plunge?

      Comment


      • Because I have difficulty getting out of the tub, I am considering making myself a tub with a seat that leaves my legs bent like I am sitting in a chair. I think it would have to be barrel shaped like the early hot tubs. And if too tall, with a door of some sort.
        Learning the intricacies of healthy eating and nourishing my body the right way.
        I am not bald, that is a Vitamin D collector. Time to Grok and Roll!
        Eased into a primal diet starting at Christmas 2011. Goal weight - 205 started: 240 pounds waist 40, now 227 pounds and waist 38 Summer 2012 - weight =215 and waist is actually still 39"
        ljbprrfmof = LJ = Little John = John

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Style View Post
          I exercise before cold treatments, never after. I could be wrong, but it seems to me you burn more calories that way. I still get the calories burned from exercise and Exercise-Associated Thermogenesis (EAT), but then during and after a cold treatment my body burns calories via cold thermogenesis (CT). I'm getting calories burned from exercise, EAT, and CT. You're getting calories burned from exercise, EAT, but are missing out on at least some of the CT calories. Maybe it doesn't work that way, but that is my logic.

          I always force myself to take the hardest rode possible to warm up, not drying off after my cold bathes allowing myself to air dry, and then sitting around the house in my boxers, intentionally sitting under an AC vent. I don't put on more clothes or move away from the vent until my body has done all the work to warm me up on its own. That is just what I do. Do what ever works for you.

          I also get some lightheadedness. It was much stronger and more frequent when I started a couple months ago, but that passed after a week or two. Now I still get some lightheadedness occasionally, but it's not often and it's not strong.
          Thanks for the detailed response,
          good to know others also get the lightheadedness.
          So I assume then you get a bit of a shiver going under the aircon duct, I have walked home wet in the past, but found a couple of times I got quite cold and took a long time to warm up, like a full hour. I will keep going with this but really can't afford to sit around for an additional hour just being cold. I do walk around underclothed (compared to others around me) and take advantage of spot cold bursts. I am not really looking to burn lot's of calories, just increase my cold tolerence & hence multiply up my mitochondria.
          I do most of my physical exercise before first meal (after noon) and finish with the cold swim so I assume I am at the very least starting up the fat burners, this is part of an overall program that I am gradually ramping up, so I don't want to go hard core in any particular direction, just gradually ramping up all angles.
          I have been at it for about a month now, about 2 weeks just walking around in the cold & 2 weeks in cold water daily & I do feel that my tolerence level has increased, but I suspect this is probably more my mental adaptation & letting go of the fear rather than a true increase in cold thermogenesis.
          "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Omni View Post
            Thanks for the detailed response,
            good to know others also get the lightheadedness.
            So I assume then you get a bit of a shiver going under the aircon duct, I have walked home wet in the past, but found a couple of times I got quite cold and took a long time to warm up, like a full hour. I will keep going with this but really can't afford to sit around for an additional hour just being cold. I do walk around underclothed (compared to others around me) and take advantage of spot cold bursts. I am not really looking to burn lot's of calories, just increase my cold tolerence & hence multiply up my mitochondria.
            I do most of my physical exercise before first meal (after noon) and finish with the cold swim so I assume I am at the very least starting up the fat burners, this is part of an overall program that I am gradually ramping up, so I don't want to go hard core in any particular direction, just gradually ramping up all angles.
            I have been at it for about a month now, about 2 weeks just walking around in the cold & 2 weeks in cold water daily & I do feel that my tolerence level has increased, but I suspect this is probably more my mental adaptation & letting go of the fear rather than a true increase in cold thermogenesis.
            You're welcome.

            I work from home and have a flexible schedule, so it's quite easy for me to do things like sit under an AC vent in only my boxers for an hour after CT'ing. I can work while doing this!

            I also wanted to mention that while I'm cold during and after CT treatments, I'm not uncomfortable. I'm sitting there, and I can tell I'm cold, yet I'm completely comfortable, if that makes sense. It works the same for me with hot temperatures. My wife will be miserable in the heat, sweat rolling off her, while I'm beside her dry and comfortable, even though I definitely can feel the heat.

            quelson also mentioned getting lightheaded, and that he actually fell over once. quelson, has this passed or lessened? Please provide a status update of your lightheadedness.

            It seems to me that cold treatments lower blood pressure. I'm getting this reaction with 30 minute baths in 70 degree tap water -> not exactly extreme cold therapy! I've never had issues with high blood pressure, but if I did, boy does this seem like a better option than meds.

            Comment


            • Most of the time I can hang around in the cold quite a bit, as you say the distinction between "feeling the cold" & "feeling cold", there just seems to be this crossover point where I actually start to feel cold, but will try let myself go to the shiver point to see how quickly my body ramps up the fat burn mechanisms in the abscence of exercise, blankets or external heat.
              "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Omni View Post
                Another thing yesterday when I got out and went to pick up my things, just had a little moment of light headedness, first time I have noticed this, that's not a good sign I imagine?
                This is a common complaint with low carb diets where salt and minerals are excreted a little more readily than on diets with more carbs. Several low carb docs have written that they prescribe supplements to all of their patients. I have never suffered from that problem however. Perhaps because I love lots of salt and pepper on my food and have always taken magnesium and potassium supplements of some kind.

                Comment


                • I just got out of my daily cold bath. Frankly, I don't know if it has helped me to lose fat or anything, but I do seem more "alive" after taking one and I sleep a bit better.
                  "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

                  Comment


                  • In fact, I don’t know the real benefits of cold water when it comes to scientifically basis.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
                      In fact, I don’t know the real benefits of cold water when it comes to scientifically basis.
                      Mark Sisson has outlined the scientific basis for cold water therapy pretty good here:

                      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/cold-water-therapy/

                      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/a-pri...dipose-tissue/

                      If you read through this thread you'll find many more links and discussion of the scientific basis...
                      Last edited by otzi; 06-21-2012, 08:21 AM.

                      Comment


                      • I've been doing cold showers daily for over a month now. I have no idea if they have helped in the weight loss department (too many other variables), but I do agree with everyone who has pointed out that they certainly have a positive mental aspect, insofar as the decision to face the cold is about discipline and willpower. Actually, it's not so much willpower as not fearing the cold and embracing it instead.

                        One thing I find interesting is that while several people in all of these CWT threads point out that Grok would have bathed in cold water, NO ONE has pointed out the obvious - which is that Grok would have been rained on!

                        I personally have not had much difficulty "adapting" to the idea of cold showers because for several years I had an outdoor job as a carriage driver. There's nothing quite like "embracing the cold" when you have no choice but to keep driving your horse at a walk when you get caught without your raingear during a sudden torrential downpour.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by primalhorsewoman View Post
                          I've been doing cold showers daily for over a month now. I have no idea if they have helped in the weight loss department (too many other variables), but I do agree with everyone who has pointed out that they certainly have a positive mental aspect, insofar as the decision to face the cold is about discipline and willpower. Actually, it's not so much willpower as not fearing the cold and embracing it instead.

                          One thing I find interesting is that while several people in all of these CWT threads point out that Grok would have bathed in cold water, NO ONE has pointed out the obvious - which is that Grok would have been rained on!

                          I personally have not had much difficulty "adapting" to the idea of cold showers because for several years I had an outdoor job as a carriage driver. There's nothing quite like "embracing the cold" when you have no choice but to keep driving your horse at a walk when you get caught without your raingear during a sudden torrential downpour.
                          Great first post! Welcome!

                          You are very correct, getting rained on definitely counts towards CWT, especially if accompanied by wind. Goosebump city! This weekend, I was cruising the river in my boat and got caught in a downpour. Normally, I'd have pulled over, put on a raincoat and waited it out under a bridge or tree. This time, I took off my shirt and sped into the rain. Got lots of funny looks from the canoers huddled under their poncho's! Talk about feeling alive. Then the sun came out and I got some free Vitamin D.

                          As Gene Kelley said:

                          I'm singing in the rain
                          Just singing in the rain
                          What a glorious feelin'
                          I'm happy again
                          I'm laughing at clouds
                          So dark up above
                          The sun's in my heart
                          And I'm ready for love
                          Let the stormy clouds chase
                          Everyone from the place
                          Come on with the rain
                          I've a smile on my face
                          I walk down the lane
                          With a happy refrain
                          Just singin',
                          Singin' in the rain

                          Comment


                          • I go for long walks a few times every week. In the past, if it even looked like rain I would walk on the tread mill or drive to the gym and hit the weights. A couple weeks ago I wanted to go for a walk, saw it was raining, and started going toward the tread mill when it hit me: "What do I care if it's raining?" I had a nice chilly walk in the rain and loved it. Yet another benefit of embracing cold!

                            Comment


                            • Sometimes, while in my personal wind tunnel when the predawn air is 60 degrees or a little more I wet my skin with water cooled overnight in the refrigerator. As you guys have noted, it kicks it up a notch and sometimes, as Emeril Lagasse says, to notches unknown!

                              This morning, however, it was 50 degrees so I didn't crave any further kicking. It will be 80 degrees this afternoon, however, and I want a true cool pool to enjoy this summer's afternoon heat. I found this web site with a simple formula for calculating the ice required to cool a pool:

                              Can Ice Cubes Cool Your Pool? - Slate Magazine
                              "For those pool owners who would like to personalize this calculation, here's how:
                              1) Take your pool's volume, in gallons.
                              2) Divide by 1,000.
                              3) Multiply by the number of degrees (Fahrenheit) you'd like to cool the water.
                              4) Multiply that number by 43.75.
                              5) Think again."

                              I put that formula into an Excel spreadsheet so that I could think about what size pool I could afford to build or buy and cool with ice:
                              http://webs.lanset.com/jow/IM2CW.xls

                              There is also a duplicate file there on my web space with ".mp3" tacked on to the end of the file name for those that want the file but have trouble downloading it. Just download http://webs.lanset.com/jow/IM2CW.xls.mp3 and remove the ".mp3" from the end of the file name.

                              If you want to try out the accuracy of this calculation in your kitchen, IM2CW predicts a 23 degree drop in a half gallon of water with a half pound of ice. You could use a variety of starting temperatures from 212 to 55 degrees (55 because you can't cool water below 32 degrees with just ice). My daughter purchased an 8 foot diameter inflatable pool complete with a pump and filter for sixty dollars. It holds 639 gallons. I would get this pool for myself but IM2CW tells me that I need 279.5 lbs of ice to cool it down by only 10 degrees. That's 56 dollars at 20 cents per pound. Yes, I have thought again and am still thinking. I could afford to cool 50 gallons regularly but it seems such a cramped way to chill. Still thinking.

                              Pouring cold water in the wind tunnel costs just a few cents worth of electricity.

                              Singing in the rain is free!
                              Last edited by Jamous; 06-22-2012, 08:49 AM.

                              Comment


                              • I didnt CT all week, and I had a bad week all the way around. I think anyways. The scale says so but I think it might be lying, well at least stretching the truth, but still, I think I need to CT daily again this week. I think at the very least it helps my skin, my heels especially. And I didnt swim in the pond one single day either. I think we will change that starting today after lunch
                                Last edited by gopintos; 06-24-2012, 08:33 AM.
                                65lbs gone and counting!!

                                Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X