So I cheated for the first time since I started and I didn't die

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I cheated for the first time since I started and I didn't die

Was on a girls weekend away and doing great. Ate tons of sashimi and seafood, stuck to a small amount of wine, eggs for breakfast. Well my hungover girlfriends wanted to just hit up California Pizza Kitchen for a quick bite before a concert. I had planned to order a salad, but the Pear and gargonzola pizza sounded amazing. I had not intentionally cheated even once since I started this in early March because I was convinced my gut would collapse into a contorted mess. I ate the whole thing. And waited, and waited, and waited. No ill effects. Came home from girls weekend convinced it caused me to gain 5 lbs. Nope.

What did happen? I haven't craved carbs in 2 months. The last 2 days have been a bit of a battle. I eased my craving with 1/2 a sweet potato yesterday and hopefully today will be better! Our side of beef is being delivered today and a week ago I would be salivating at the though of the rib eye I am going to eat tonight, but not so much today. It really does set you back a bit and I realized how hard it must be to stick with this if you are a frequent cheater. It is like starting over again with the cravings!

I sure enjoyed that pizza though!

Dammit, carbs themselves are not an issue!! It is natural and good to crave carbohydrates!
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpycakes View Post
      Dammit, carbs themselves are not an issue!! It is natural and good to crave carbohydrates!
      +1

Comment

+1.
        If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

Originally posted by lssanjose View Post
          +1.
          +8

Comment

I don't eat very low carb or anything. Probably around 75-100 a day on rest days, 125 or so on workout days. I eat sweet potatoes regularly, fruit daily. etc. I guess craving "bread, pasta, donuts, etc" would have been a better choice of words. I wasn't missing those things or wanting them at all. But now I am having passing thoughts of them again. Sorry for my poor choice of words.

Comment

Originally posted by primalswan View Post
              I don't eat very low carb or anything. Probably around 75-100 a day on rest days, 125 or so on workout days. I eat sweet potatoes regularly, fruit daily. etc. I guess craving "bread, pasta, donuts, etc" would have been a better choice of words. I wasn't missing those things or wanting them at all. But now I am having passing thoughts of them again. Sorry for my poor choice of words.
              Don't worry, I understood for you mean't. And yes the occasional "cheat" or backsliding into non primal carbs might not be too detrimental on its own, but it can definitely leave residual effects that would make it more challenging to be primal....as you found out.

Comment

Dont stress over the carbs. I love em and they do you no harm. In fact i feel so much better balanced since upping them

Comment

+1

Occasional high quality non primal foods aren't going to undo everything you've achieved so far. Compared to a slurpee and a bag of Doritos, your pizza was a superb choice.

Ps. Read my sig line.
                  Sandra
                  *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

I've found that my "slides" back to wheat are becoming fewer and farther between and the last one was a cupcake that tasted like a sponge. But early on wheat cheats led to increased wheat cravings.

It's a process.... most people are going to have mess ups and for me, I find that the "bad" things are becoming less appealing. Definitely back in December baked goods tasted great.... then in March a cupcake was OK.... and the last baked good consumed in May was spit outable nasty. So probably the next time the pizza will be meh... and then before you know it the pizza will be gross and you'll just want a pear and gorgonzola salad with chicken.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

It's been scientifically shown that if you eat over 150G of CHOs in a day then you will get fat. See the attached diagram.

Primal_Blueprint_Carbohydrate_Curve.jpg

p.s. not serious
                      http://stackingplates.com/

Comment

Originally posted by StackingPlates View Post
                        It's been scientifically shown that if you eat over 150G of CHOs in a day then you will get fat. See the attached diagram.

p.s. not serious
                        lol! i love you mark sisson, but please... ditch the woo science. low carb works for so many people, because they eat fewer calories. not because some magic number of carbs leads to insidious weight gain.

Comment

LOL too!

I will consider eating <150 g carb a day if I ever become confined to a wheelchair.
                          F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

I posted this the other day about my 'cheat' a month or so ago. I'll just copy/paste.

"I had a pretty interesting experience about a month back. Since I lost my original 25kg I've hovered up and down in between 9% to 15% body fat over the last 12 months which actually takes me a fair bit of effort and diligence. I had also been experimenting with weekly refeeds a little as well.

Anyway, a month ago my uncle asked me to help him out in his bakery for a few days so I worked with him for 5 days and I thought "stuff it, i'll just eat whatever to make the most of a shitty job/situation". I had also remembered reading something about how if you really want to restore leptin, even a full day worth of refeeding/overfeeding probably wouldn't do the job and you won't get the same result with protein and fat, it had to be a real pig out over a few days and it has to be carb heavy. Perfect opportunity.
                            I tried to keep it mainly low fat but I wasn't obsessive, so for 5 days in a row I pigged out on cereal for breakfast, mushroom rolls, date scones, berry scones, chicken and beef sandwiches, pizzas with limited cheese but tonnes of bbq sauce, finger buns, raisin muffins with jam etc. I was probably averaging around 3500 - 4000 calories at about 70% carbs. I usually eat around 1800 - 2200.
                            I was still making myself a primal meal of steak and vegetable for dinner to add at least some sort of dietary balance.

I felt pretty cruddy doing it ( psychological because I thought I was destroying my health goals and making myself fat but at the same time it was pretty damn enjoyable) and by the end of the 5 days I was a little bloated and had visibly put on a little abdomen fat. Over the next few weeks I went back to my standard low/moderate carb primal diet and I shed the weight effortlessly, not only that but my sleep has improved, my appetite regulated, I have more energy, I wake up easily in the mornings and I just feel better overall without the afternoon slump. Sometimes I'm even awake at 5am wishing it was 7am already so my day would begin, something I haven't felt in years. I think it was something my body really needed.

I'm not really recommending it to anyone as I'm sure it could backfire on a lot people (especially celiacs or the gluten intolerant lol). But I do think some people could do with a bit of a break if they've been steadily trying to maintain a certain BF% and it has down regulated thyroid function and BMR, which it obviously had done for me. It's something I'm probably going to repeat it every 6 months or so but I'll be a bit more sensible with it next time around using more foods like rice, rice bubbles, potatoes, sourdough bread, skim milk and maybe even some scones, jam and cereal for old times sake."

Comment

I employ a rule of never eating two non-primal meals in a row. The occasional non-primal meal is normal and healthy. So just make sure it does not spiral and you're fine
                              Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Working...
                              X