Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vegetarian Myth and it's Lies?

Heya

I know old topic, I just found the book and went to look up the author, Lierre Keith. There is as much out there about how she is Lieing, crazy, idiotic etc.... as there is about her being courageous for speaking the truth.

My question is what is it she is lieing about? I am reading the book, she seems earnest and what she says seems right to me but I don't know enough. Is the book inaccurate on certain topics? She comes very close to certain cherished points of opinion of mine and I am looking for ways to critique what I am reading.

Please don't use this as an excuse to bash The vegheads, I would like better understand the issue not just get angry at them for being idiots.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

It's definitely worth reading. I don't think she was particularly lying about anything, the book just contains some fundamental errors like most published books do. I haven't read it for a while but I remember the nutrition and environmental sections had errors. You definitely don't doubt her passion. It shouldn't be held up as some kind of bible that debunks vegetarianism nor should it be thrown into the book burning mobile like most vegans think it should. I think the accusations of lying were regarding about being a fully fledged vegan. I remember in an interview she said something about how she binged on eggs and dairy a lot.

Comment

I don't think vegetarianism or even veganism is idiotic in the scheme of things. If my choice was to:
      Be a vegetarian, eating beans, veggies, fruits, dairy, eggs, grains or
      Be a fake food CW person eating Chicken Lean Cuisines and fat free sugar free yogurt or
      SAD with all the crap donalds, pizza rolls and mountain dews I could shovel in

I'd call the vegetarian option healthier, and even the vegan option healthier. Most vegetarians and vegans who do it for health reasons eat good, whole foods and are close to primal- they just don't eat the meats.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
      Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Melissa at Hunt Gather Love had a fairly scathing review and she is on the paleo side of things. Her beef is mostly about the belief she shares with Derrick Jensen about the evils of civilization and with her political ideas at the end of her book. She tends to get pretty passionate and say things that may or may not be true. I personally didn't agree with Melissa's opinion, but here you go:
        Deep Green Insanity | Melissa McEwen's on food anthropology, economics, and culture
        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Wow just wow. Ok thanks Sbhikes.
          Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Comment

I'm not familiar with this book or what it's about but if you're interested in learning more about the effects food has on our bodies I encourage you to check out the movie "Forks Over Knives" and "Eating". They can both be found on Amazon. The facts and information contained in these films could save your life.

Comment

I watched Forks Over Knives some months ago (when I was still vegan). It's pretty much a synopsis of the China Study with a few other vegan crusaders in the film cheering it on.

Comment

Wow, I'm disappointed she's gone so far off the deep end. I liked a lot of the arguments in The Vegetarian Myth because I have a lot of friends who are ethical vegetarians/vegans, and I've found it helpful to be able to talk about some of those issues from that perspective (although she does get ridiculously doom and gloom at the end). However, it should be noted that Pollan also makes some of those arguments quite effectively in The Omnivore's Dilemma without condemning all of humanity to destruction, and in much more graceful prose too.
                “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

I have found that almost nobody who writes passionately about a topic can keep from trailing off into some sort of offensive deep end at some point. I take from her book what I like and leave the rest.
                  Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Otter View Post
                    I'm not familiar with this book or what it's about but if you're interested in learning more about the effects food has on our bodies I encourage you to check out the movie "Forks Over Knives" and "Eating". They can both be found on Amazon. The facts and information contained in these films could save your life.
                    I know I'm feeding an obvious troll, but the only thing Forks over Knives will save you is the deliciousness of and vitality caused by eating delicious fatty meat.

Not as familiar with eating, but if it's based on the China Study, like so many of the claims found in Forks over Knives, you will be able to see through the lies by reading this.
                    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by palebluedots View Post
                      I watched Forks Over Knives some months ago (when I was still vegan). It's pretty much a synopsis of the China Study with a few other vegan crusaders in the film cheering it on.
                      Denise Minger would agree with you.

Personally haven't watched "Forks Over Knives". Someday I'll stream it on Netflix. When I'm bored. And can get drunk again.
                      Steph
                      My Primal Meanderings

Comment

I am vegetarian-sympathetic, and I could not finish Forks over Knives. I found it to be such a propaganda piece that it made me uncomfortable to watch. (And this is from someone who was probably eating meat only 1-2xs a week prior to getting hooked on MDA.

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                          I know I'm feeding an obvious troll, but the only thing Forks over Knives will save you is the deliciousness of and vitality caused by eating delicious fatty meat.

Lol, yes you are. I'm telling ya I see one or two every day here lately. Junior members, signed on that day to post.
                          Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
                          READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food.” Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                            Melissa at Hunt Gather Love had a fairly scathing review and she is on the paleo side of things. Her beef is mostly about the belief she shares with Derrick Jensen about the evils of civilization and with her political ideas at the end of her book. She tends to get pretty passionate and say things that may or may not be true. I personally didn't agree with Melissa's opinion, but here you go:
                            Deep Green Insanity | Melissa McEwen's on food anthropology, economics, and culture
                            I just read her post. I haven't (unfortunatly) gotten around to reading Derrick Jensens books but i know the general debat and have a philosophical and archaeological interest in it. Where do you stand in this?
                            I found Melissas 'argumentation' against their views annoying and completely lacking. Not once does she provide good quantitative proof of what she says. She simply shrugs off everything they say as if its pure lunacy or stems from an abusive childhood.
                            Imo the case against civilization seems to be pretty well founded in archaeological data.

Comment

You know what I find interesting, is that in practice, eating paleo (or at least the way I'm doing it) isn't all that far from how I ate when I was vegan.. especially raw vegan. It feels almost like a natural progression, and based on the amount of other ex-vegetarians I've seen in this forum, I am guessing I'm not the only one who feels that way. The two lifestyles make a big deal of how different they are, but really both focus on eating veggies. It just happens that some of us respond a whole lot better getting protein animal sources (for a variety of reasons). Yep, there will always be the extremists who will disagree with me, and that means that the two sides are unlikely to ever get along. (and as a side note, trust me, if you think vegans are weirdos, you should meet some of the folks in the raw vegan community.. they're downright kooky!)

Comment

Working...
                              X