Just another "tell me why I'm not losing weight" thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nixxy,
    beating systemic infection isnt easy. but doable. your guts are an open wound... literally. what would you do if you could see them

wash and dress them right.

well here is the wash for the gut. magnesium citrate
    here is the dressing, coconut oil.

just like bleeding off the excess glocose you do the work and then wait for the results and i am sorry to say this wont happen in the snap of your fingers. I track people who do this and i posit your best recovery time at 6 months.

realize that introducing coconut oil will alter other things like cholesterol and ketogenisis, so you may as well get all your bangs for your buck and ride that wave.

i left you a list of steps that i can elaborate on if you wish, but basically get the stuff out, stop putting the stuff in and wait for it to die of its own accord.
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

Nixxy, you might get a lot of benefit from checking out the iodine thread on the forum for ridding yourself of inflammation.

Comment

Originally posted by Leida View Post
        If you are not hungry, do not eat more. In fact, always eat only when hungry, and stop when you are no longer hungry (not full, rather no longer hungry). Your body knows better than a calculator how much it needs. If you are full & don't experience desire to eat any more, you are likely at maintenance. Take away 1/4 of what you eat at every meal. If you consistently run deficits, your hunger will start increasing and become more persistent. Do not afraid to reefed when and if it happens. Try a 14 hr fast, and see if you can eat as if you did not fast after that. If it triggers binge, do not fast. With the workouts do only what you can do; the goal is to get healthier, not to get hurt.
        how do i then address the axiom i keep hearing, "you're not eating enough".! if you read what some guys eat on lean gains and stuff . and intermittent fasting, some guys eat whole chickens and 1lb beef and side dishes at one sitting. I eat my frittata as first meal of day between 9am noon.then I can go easily to dinner at 7 or 8, not too hungry. the cal in that fritatta is not much. still fat (need to lose 30 for my height).

Comment

Originally posted by Lawyerchick12 View Post
          And I detest people who ridicule or belittle other people's opinions and contributions whilst simultaneously making gross generalizations about their warped insights on same said opinions and contributions. If people are taking time out to offer suggestions or opinions, who made u the godly authority on which opinion makes more sense? Believe it or not, your post was also just one of many opinions. It is pathetic how SOME people have some grandeur delusions that their opinion is somehow the overriding authority on a said issue. Your post was extremely patronizing, insulting and condescending.

I would assume a lot of posters here are very educated and do lots of research on this subject matter. The very fact that a lot of people have chosen to go primal here speaks volumes already. I am an A-type personality. I am extremely meticulous when it comes to counting calories and i KNOW for a fact that based on my BMR calorie calculator, even when I ate under my recommended daily allowances and exercised copious amounts per week, I would NOT lose weight when my non primal carb count was high. OBVIOUSLY I did not know THEN that it was the reason I was not losing weight. I am almost done reading Sisson's primal blueprint and now know that was the reason. I was fit af but could not lose weight and it stressed me out so much not knowing why I was not losing. I have other slight med issues mostly iron related I do not care to divulge but now I am clearer than clear that the calories in vs calories out mantra DOES NOT APPLY to my personal life situation.

Go have several seats.
          Well said.

Comment

Originally posted by tcseacliff View Post
            how do i then address the axiom i keep hearing, "you're not eating enough".! if you read what some guys eat on lean gains and stuff . and intermittent fasting, some guys eat whole chickens and 1lb beef and side dishes at one sitting. I eat my frittata as first meal of day between 9am noon.then I can go easily to dinner at 7 or 8, not too hungry. the cal in that fritatta is not much. still fat (need to lose 30 for my height).
            I think some people recommend that others eat more because if you eat too little for too long your body just slows down. Your metabolism slows down and you just stop moving around as much. This might not be you, though. Those lean gains guys, aren't they both lifting super heavy weights and doing intermittent fasting? I'd eat a whole chicken, too, if I went 18 hours without food and then lifted a bunch of super heavy weights. I can put away a pound of steak no problemo after a tough day of sitting on my ass.
            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

That is not an axiom, it is a very rare scenario with females. It occurs sometimes in females that over-exercise and cut calories drastically at the same time and do it for a prolonged period of time. By that I mean over 2 hours a day intense workouts and under 1200 caloric intake for weeks on end. Otherwise, most caloric 'estimators' are based on the older fomula with a lot of rounding up, and it over-estimates the intake (by 10-15% which is a significant error for females and smaller males); people also tend to over-estimate their activity level and underestimate calories. It is also based on averages, not you in particular, with your unique methabolism and your history; average by definition means that some people are above and some - below the average. All these leads to caloric levels being just a first cut.

The best way is to see your maintenance is to establish a routine & monitor your calories, and if your weight goes unchanged for 2-3 weeks, the average calories are your real maintenance number. Once you get that down, change one thing for a couple of weeks. If you suspect you need more calories, add 200-250 a day; watch for a couple of weeks and see if you are gaining or losing... just stick with 1 change so you can see the impact.

While we all know that losing weight is an emotional enterprise, it really helps when you try to detach yourself and treat it as a science project on your body.

Overall though, from your description, you needn't worry so much. Unless you have a rare condition when you have an excess of ghrelin (hunger shut-down hormone), let your body work through the food you consume and tell you when it needs more. Depending on your current weight and number of years you spent in that weight category, it might take a few weeks for you to start experiencing stronger hunger signals and for the weight to go down.

I hope this helps!
              Last edited by Leida; 06-06-2012, 07:09 AM.
              My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
              When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

You might look in to the thyroid thing, it's worth exploring. I've been looking in to it myself lately, learning a lot of interesting things. A biologist named Ray Peat has an interesting website with a lot of articles about the endocrine system. There's a thread on another forum outlining his "pro thyroid" diet:
                Ray Peat Eating Guidelines : Semi Low-Carb Plans Forum : Active Low-Carber Forums

Other Ray Peat thryoid info sites:
                Lita Lee's Online Store for Digestive Enzymes and Nutritional Products
                http://eastwesthealing.com/

Comment

I think a lot of men don't get that sometimes women have extremely low metabolisms. You do have to play around and see what works for you. What I have learned about myself:
                  Food:
                  Wheat=water gain of 5-7 pounds that sticks around 5-7 days.
                  Too much sugar= tendency to snack
                  Too low carb makes me tired, but I can string a few days together and get any snacking/sugar craves out of my system
                  Eating 2 times a day keeps me clean- lunch and snacking is where I stray
                  Calories- I naturally tend to eat around 1600 a day, which seems to maintain, and 1200-1400 helps with loss but takes some thought.

Exercise:
                  Exercise - cardio- does nothing for me weight wise and makes me hungry
                  Weights and HIIT somewhat suppress hunger and helps me build muscle
                  Relaxing exercise- riding/walking keeps me from bored eating

Weight Loss
                  It comes and goes in chunks. I always see a change in clothes fit then a drop on the scale. I lose 1-4 lbs a month.
                  Nothing impacts my loss consistently except the wheat pounds.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                  Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by nixxy View Post

Primal pete: With all due respect, you are talking to me like a typical doctor (who some in this community love to demonise) would talk to someone eating the SAD who can't lose weight. Please don't patronise me and act like I'm not tracking my calories in and calories out adequately. I have about 30 days of stored food logging, I weighed everything, no guesswork. I'm not about to type all of that out here, but the info I provided in the first post was correct, those ratios were the ranges I had over that 30 days. I can tell you for a FACT, my calories in are less than my calories out, unless my BMR really is freakishly low for my size. I understand the concept you're pushing, and yes a lot of things boil down to burning more than you're taking in, but at this point, with constant rashes, infections and hair loss, I don't think I'm a figure of optimal health, and I feel that this is affecting my weightloss. You don't have to agree, but please don't belittle me.
                    Hey there - I didn't mean to patronize, belittle, or talk down you at all. I just meant to answer your question succinctly and simply. My gripes in my first post are more with the community here in general and not directed at you personally at all. Sorry if my post made you think that. You can read read my latter post in the thread. If you're diligent in tracking what you eat accurately, that's great. Per my previous post, if you're still having stalled weight loss despite eating below your maintenance as well as rashes, hair loss ect. Then it sounds like you have a legitimate reason to really think about what your doing/eating. I'd rather deal with those problems first then worry about a six pack if that were me in your situation. In fact, I'd scrap the calorie counting all together for the time being and focus on eating well and healing your ailments and not stress about aesthetics of fat loss, at least for now. Maybe i misunderstood the focus of your post. I'd really recommend sticking to one goal at a time though.

Believe me... CW docs and medince enrage me too sometimes. Good luck with everything.
                    Last edited by primal pete; 06-06-2012, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by primal pete View Post
                      Hey there - I didn't mean to patronize, belittle, or talk down you at all. I just meant to answer your question succinctly and simply. My gripes in my first post are more with the community here in general and not directed at you personally at all. Sorry if my post made you think that. You can read read my latter post in the thread. If you're diligent in tracking what you eat accurately, that's great. Per my previous post, if you're still having stalled weight loss despite eating below your maintenance as well as rashes, hair loss ect. Then it sounds like you have a legitimate reason to really think about what your doing/eating. I'd rather deal with those problems first then worry about a six pack if that were me in your situation. In fact, I'd scrap the calorie counting all together for the time being and focus on eating well and healing your ailments and not stress about aesthetics of fat loss, at least for now. Maybe i misunderstood the focus of your post. I'd really recommend sticking to one goal at a time though.

Believe me... CW docs and medince enrage me too sometimes. Good luck with everything.
                      Thanks for coming back and explaining your post further, and thank you for apologising.

I agree, and my health is definitely my focus, however I believe losing weight would also have a huge positive effect on my health (less skin = less area for rashes/skin infections, by my reasoning), not to mention internal benefits of carrying around less mass.

My focus of my post may not have been clear, you're right there. I'm basically trying to simultaneously lose weight and fix my health, I'm not really prioritising either. That may not be the best way but for me I think it's the right way.

Been doing a bit of reading lately about how people who lose weight have seemingly permanently lower BMR's than they "should" for their size (someone posted a link saying the same thing). I'm wondering if this applying to me already after losing 35lb. Anyway, calories aren't usually my concern, I just like to see a general downward trend on the scale. I did finally see a 0.4lb downward movement, the first of such in 3 weeks! So that's promising.

I decided to carb/calorie cycle though and today my carbs were more like 150-170g and my calories up around 1600, which is pretty high for me. Will be interesting to see my weigh in on Saturday (usual weighing day).

Thanks everyone for all your input, I considered everyones advice and it has given me a lot to think about going forward.
                      Current weight lost: 82.9lb (37.6kg)

Current PRs:
                      Bench: 45kg/99lb
                      Squat: 100kg/220lb
                      Deadlift: 120kg/265lb

My blog
                      My journal

Comment

test first, it is really worth knowing.

Complete Blood Count (CBC) With Differential CPT Code: 85025
                        Metabolic Panel (14), Comprehensive CPT Code: 80053
                        Osmolality,serum CPT Code: 83930
                        Osmolality, Body Fluid CPT Code: 84999
                        Urinalysis, Complete With Microscopic Examination CPT Code: 81001

Hepatic Function Panel (7) CPT Code: 80076
                        C-Reactive Protein (CRP), High Sensitivity (Cardiac Risk Assessment) CPT Code: 86141
                        Vitamin D, 25-Hydroxy CPT Code: 82306
                        Insulin, Free and Total, Serum CPT Code: 83525; 83527
                        C-Peptide, Serum CPT Code: 84681
                        Hemoglobin (Hb) A1c CPT Code: 83036

Ferritin, Serum CPT Code: 82728
                        Iron and Total Iron-binding Capacity (TIBC) CPT Code: 83540; 83550

Homocyst(e)ine, Plasma CPT Code: 83090
                        Lipoprotein Subfractionation Profile CPT Code: 83701; 84478

Cortisol CPT Code: 82533
                        Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) Sulfate CPT Code: 82627
                        Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) CPT Code: 82651
                        Estradiol CPT Code: 82670
                        Estrogens, Total CPT Code: 82672
                        Follicle-stimulating Hormone (FSH), Serum CPT Code: 83001
                        Growth Hormone-binding Protein CPT Code: 83519
                        Insulin-like Growth Factor 1 (IGF-1) CPT Code: 84305
                        Luteinizing Hormone (LH), Serum CPT Code: 83002
                        Pregnenolone, Mass Spectrometry CPT Code: 84140
                        Progesterone CPT Code: 84144
                        Prostate-specific Antigen (PSA), Serum CPT Code: 84153
                        Sex Hormone-binding Globulin, Serum CPT Code: 84270
                        Testosterone, Free (Direct), Serum With Total Testosterone CPT Code: 84402; 84403
                        Prolactin CPT Code: 84146

Thytropin Releasing Hormone CPT Code: 83519; 84999
                        Thyroid-stimulating Hormone (TSH) CPT Code: 84443
                        Thyroxine (T4) CPT Code: 84436
                        Triiodothyronine (T3) CPT Code: 84480
                        T3 Uptake CPT Code: 84479
                        Reverse T3 CPT Code: 84482
                        Thyroxine-binding Globulin (TBG), Serum CPT Code: 84442
                        Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) Antibodies CPT Code: 86376
                        Thyroid Antithyroglobulin Antibody CPT Code: 86800

Predator not Prey

CW 315 | SW 506

Comment

Quelson, out of curiosity, how much do these tests cost?

I want to go get some testing done, but my insurance sucks, so any testing is out of my pocket.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                          Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
                            Quelson, out of curiosity, how much do these tests cost?

I want to go get some testing done, but my insurance sucks, so any testing is out of my pocket.

They AINT Cheap....

Out of pocket - try this reduced set, you can still get real info with it.

Blood Test, std testing, blood testing results | ANY LAB TEST NOW® can do most of them.

learn how well you are clearing your toxins. liver working too hard it cannot control glucose
                            learn how weak your hormone cycle is, if your vitamin d is in the toilet, the rest of them are too
                            learn how well you are managing your insulin (frak blood glucose levels they are bs for the broken and the cakehole shovers wont need them either)
                            learn how inflamed you are at the cellular level
                            Hepatic Function Panel (7) CPT Code: 80076
                            C-Reactive Protein (CRP), High Sensitivity (Cardiac Risk Assessment) CPT Code: 86141
                            Vitamin D, 25-Hydroxy CPT Code: 82306
                            Insulin, Free and Total, Serum CPT Code: 83525; 83527
                            C-Peptide, Serum CPT Code: 84681

learn which way your hormones are out.
                            DHEA is sex
                            Preg/Prog is stress
                            Estrogen is belly fat and cellulite
                            testosterone is acne, hair issues, and horrible periods
                            Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) Sulfate CPT Code: 82627
                            Estradiol CPT Code: 82670
                            Pregnenolone, Mass Spectrometry CPT Code: 84140
                            or
                            Progesterone CPT Code: 84144
                            Testosterone, Free (Direct), Serum With Total Testosterone CPT Code: 84402; 84403
                            learn if you are making enough energy ( simplification)

Thyroxine (T4) CPT Code: 84436
                            Triiodothyronine (T3) CPT Code: 84480
                            Reverse T3 CPT Code: 84482
                            Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) Antibodies CPT Code: 86376
                            Thyroid Antithyroglobulin Antibody CPT Code: 86800

Predator not Prey

CW 315 | SW 506

Comment

Thanks for the blood test info.

I'm not in the US so the codes won't help. But it'll be free at least..

Tell me again why it is that the US was so against public health care?? I'll never understand. Don't you guys look at countries like us (I'm in NZ) and see that it works??
                              although to be fair, it'd be really hard to implement at this point since the US is so established. Not to mention all the doctors would have to take a pay cut (Doc's here probably only earn $150k a year, heaven forbid it's not up near the half a mil mark, who could survive on less than half a mil!)

Anyway, I'll enjoy going to the doctor, paying $70 (only because I'm not enrolled at the doc I'm currently seeing, so the usual $35 charge is increased since I'm too lazy to transfer my funding), getting all those bloodtests for free, and picking up my $3 prescription afterwards.

Lol, I am such a dick.
                              Current weight lost: 82.9lb (37.6kg)

Current PRs:
                              Bench: 45kg/99lb
                              Squat: 100kg/220lb
                              Deadlift: 120kg/265lb

My blog
                              My journal

Comment

Nixxy I don't know about NZ, but I am in Australia and have spent about $900 in the past month figuring all this out. Medicare doesn't cover most of the blood tests I had (the hormones - dhea, test, est, prog), or the urinary iodine. Also to actually get a doctor who would listen to me I couldn't go just to my local GP and pay $70 (rebate $35), I went to one in Sydney who charged $300 (rebate $60). Then I couldn't go to a normal pharamcy and get a script covered on the PBS, I had to go to a compounding chemist, and paid $180 for my scripts, some of which will last < 1 month.

Comment

Working...
                                X