No announcement yet.

Primal Living As A Teen; Too many nuts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primal Living As A Teen; Too many nuts?

Hello everyone! I just officially started my Primal journey today! I've been decreasing my carbs for a while, but after discovering that I am intolerant to gluten I decided to go primal. My problem is this though, I'm still at living at home. My family eats meat a maximum of two times a week. I've been relying on lots of nuts (around 5-6 servings a day of raw flax seed, sunflower seeds, and almonds) for the past 3 months to get enough calories. I've added eggs in (3-4 a day) and meat when I can. I eat lots of veggies and have a Whey Protein shake everyday. Is it healthy to eat this many nuts or should I cut back? What do I replace them with to get enough calories/fat? I do not consume any dairy except for the whey protein and the only dairy I would be able to consume would be cottage cheese or cheap mozzarella cheese.Thank you!

maybe eat some fish instead. canned salmon, tuna and sardines are not very expensive, but loaded with protein and omega-3's. nuts have alot of omega-6's, not so good to eat large amounts. and maybe eat more eggs, they are cheap and can be hard-cooked to store in the fridge in case of "emergency".

Comment

Originally posted by HopelessDreamer View Post
      maybe eat some fish instead. canned salmon, tuna and sardines are not very expensive, but loaded with protein and omega-3's. nuts have alot of omega-6's, not so good to eat large amounts. and maybe eat more eggs, they are cheap and can be hard-cooked to store in the fridge in case of "emergency".
      +1 Yes, too many nuts.
      Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

Comment

Doing occasional nut binges are fine, but it is not advisable to do this more than VERY occasionally. Yep, too many nuts.
        "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Canned fish and more eggs are great advice. Do you have any disposable income? If so, maybe try picking up a package of chicken thighs or ground beef. You can cook them up in large batches and then freeze them for "emergency protein". You would not have to do anything fancy - just salt and pepper and in the oven til cooked. Or pan fry the ground beef with salt and pepper then freeze.

If you are not eating any junk food any more maybe you could convince your parents to give you a little extra protein allowance?

If none of that works, you could consider adding in some white rice with butter or some beans. I would eat soaked beans before consuming and excess of nuts.

Good luck and congrats on finding primal eating while you are still young
          Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Also if you can you can buy greek yogurt. Delicious with blueberries. And for when you eat nuts, I'd go with macadamias
            well then

Comment

Thanks everyone! I'm just having trouble eating enough (I lift heavy 3 times a week and do HIIT 2 times a week), so the nuts were an easy way to do it. Would 2-3 servings a day be alright? What are good fatty foods to eat?

Comment

Originally posted by HopelessDreamer View Post
                Great Advice
                Originally posted by runningforme View Post
                Thanks everyone! I'm just having trouble eating enough (I lift heavy 3 times a week and do HIIT 2 times a week), so the nuts were an easy way to do it. Would 2-3 servings a day be alright? What are good fatty foods to eat?

See above Sardine in Olive Oil are pretty good, also smoke Mackerels. You can also fry some eggs in Ghee or Mixed Coconut Oil with your Whey ( I do it with my Vanilla Whey, tastes great) etc. Good luck!

Comment

Since you are growing and working out you need to make sure you get enough protein. I have a friend that tried to do paleo eating very little meat and substituting with nuts and dairy, needless to say she was always hungry. Good fats like coconut oil and butter will help. Like Jammies said chicken thighs are cheap, I like to toss them in wheat free tamari and roast them. Do you eat sweet potatoes? At your age it is vital that you get enough to eat.
                  Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Thank you! I'll try that fried egg!

I do eat sweet potatoes when I can. I'm trying to keep my carbs below 150, but I'm thinking that may have to change in order to consume enough food. I am definitely getting enough protein (1-1.5g/lb), I'm just having difficulty finding fat sources that aren't nuts. Thanks!

Comment

How about avacado? Make some guacamole either using traditional recipes or I use Trader Joe's Salsa Verde (1 jar per 4 avacados). Butter on everything. Like someone said, coconut oil in your protein shake. What liquid do you make your protein shake with? Try something like coconut milk, since you don't do dairy. You mentioned you do cottage cheese...what about full fat sour cream or yogurt? How about some ground beef or lamb? +1 to eggs...I go through 15/week at least.

ETA: Just thought of another good fat...how about black, green, kalamata olives?
                      Last edited by jodeyh; 06-06-2012, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Avocado's are spendy, but I'll see if I can find a coupon! Is butter ok if it's not organic? I got some ground beef today, but think I may have made a primal newbie oops cause it's definitely grain fed and not lean. Thanks for all your suggestions!!

Comment

Here is my way of thinking about what we eat...you do the best you can with the money you have. If you can afford all organic foods, go for it. If you can't, then you get the best you can with the money you have.

So if your butter is not organic, it's ok. If your beef isn't grass fed, that's ok too. As long as you are doing the absolute best you can to buy "clean" food, then there's no fault to be found. If organic is out of your price range, go for the "all-natural."

Your note about the grain fed beef being not lean...do you want lean meat? I buy organic grass fed beef (at Trader Joe's - it's $5.99/lb) and it's 85/15, so I don't think that's very lean. Lean to me is 96/4, which I don't buy because I want the fat content to be higher.

Something else you might want to talk to your parents about is finding a local farm that has organic veggies and one that has grass-fed/grass-finished meats. Look online for your area and see if you can find something like that. Many times, you can get organic, etc foods for about the same price as you would buy conventional foods in the store.

Comment

Speak to your parents about how you want to eat and why, show them any books you have and this site. The problem is, that until you are buying and cooking your own food your really need your parents to be on board if you are going to go fully primal. I also think that teenagers and parents should talk to each other more, and show a bit more respect (both parents to kids and kids to parents), they may be supportive, and even if they are not you have been honest and open and they will at least know why you are eating a certain way, even if they don't understand. At this point in your life I think it is more important to eat enough calories now when you are growing than worrying about grass fed beef and orgainc veggies. there is plenty of time for that later, most everyone here grew up eating carbs, processed food, sugar etc, it may not be the best, but we made it through.
                            You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Comment

Generally, if you are asking if you eat too many nuts, the answer is yes.

I think 2-3 serving/week would be reasonable.
                              Lifting Journal

Comment

Working...
                              X