Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What the HELL do I do now?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What the HELL do I do now?

    I am 100% sold on Paleo... The diet, the exercise, the whole thing. I've never felt so good and I am getting in great shape.

    My wife, however, is not 100% supportive. First off, she is a vegetarian, so the fact that I just became a serious meat-eater is tricky. She has never minded that I occasionally ate meat, but now I am asking her to cook/prepare it for me in mass quantities (She is a stay-at-home-mom who does most of the cooking). She is hispanic so all she wants to cook is mexican food, italian food, bake breads and cakes, etc. She even has a shirt that says "I LOVE CARBS!" She is in great shape, too. She works out and takes great care of herself.

    She will eat fish sometimes (pescatarian?) so there is that, but I am loving my grassfed roasts, my free range chickens, and my pulled pork, and my fish.

    There is no convincing her to eat paleo with me, trust me.

    I want to stay 100% paleo forever! I can't see myself going back. She wants to be supportive, but is finding it very hard to basically shop for and prepare 2 different meals. One paleo meal for me, and one regular meal for her and my toddler son.

    What the hell do I do now? I have no problem making my own meals, but I find that it takes something away from a family meal where all of us sit down and eat together.

    Sigh...
    Re-Starting Paleo January 10, 2013

    SW - 185.4 lbs Janury 10, 2013
    CW- 179.8 lbs
    Goal- 168 lbs Full Performance Level PBF, 32" waist, lean...

    MY PALEO JOURNAL

    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

  • #2
    This is a question that will often surface on the forum.

    My answer is always this: either force or apathy.

    You cannot put the eyes in this woman to see, so let her live.

    You can strike her and feed her bacon, but then she will leave you.

    Just do your best and live with strength, she will come around eventually.

    Comment


    • #3
      meat is great and all, but veggies get the biggest potion of the primal pyramid. as a family, make vegetables the main part of your food, and maybe if your meat is just something that you're eating on the side, your wife might be a little more open to making it, or you can just cook it up quickly.

      obviously, the breads and cakes aren't great, but you can probably sit that part out and still have it feel like a family meal. or, pair the baked good with primal foods (like a fruit salad or something) and just stick to the primal stuff when everybody is eating.
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

      Comment


      • #4
        Prepare your own meal while she prepares her meal for herself and son, then sit down together and eat as a family. My husband and I do this very thing almost every day. Make a deal with her and tell her that if she will buy your food, you will prepare your own meal (I assume she does the shopping as she is a SAHM). I have to admit that if I were a vegetarian, the last thing I would want to have to do is handle and cook meat all the time.

        Comment


        • #5
          I would agree with building the meal around the veggies. The meat would be more like a side dish just for you. So it still is basically one meal, but different sides. Maybe she can prepare the other things, like roasted veggies that seem to take a bit of time. Steaks take just a few minutes, well I like mine med. rare so just a few minutes and a few minutes of resting time, so I try to time that at the end anyways. So you can do that yourself. Other meats that take longer, maybe throw the roast on yourself before leaving for work. Freeze the leftovers for another meal another day. Or on weekends, cook up your meats, package into meal size servings, and then freeze them. I like to do this just so I have something quick on hand and only need the time to defrost & warm. That has saved me many times from eating bad stuff. That and removing the bad stuff, but I know there is still some stuff around if I were to go looking for it.

          By cooking and freezing ahead, even if she did it, she wouldnt have to cook your meat every single day, and eventually you will have variety in the freezer so you are not eating the same thing for days on end, unless of course you want to.
          65lbs gone and counting!!

          Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

          Comment


          • #6
            I cook every day for my diabetic non-primal partner. There is no convincing him so I've stopped nagging. Luckily he normally gives most things a try so I manage to cook 1 type of meal with extras for him, rather than doing 2 completely seperate meals. He basically eats what I eat but for him I'll add a small amount of starchy stuff like some beans/potatoes.

            I don't have a toddler to look after though.

            Maybe you should offer to cook for your family sometimes, and add some of their favourites on to a primal meal? Then your partner won't mind as much, having to cook a bit of meat to add to your meals.
            Start weight: 238 lbs (March 2012)
            Current weight: 205 lbs (July 2012)
            Loss so far: 33 lbs!!!
            WOE: Primal + IF
            Movements: Hiking, sprinting.
            Goal: to see my abs some time in 2013!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by MarissaLinnea View Post
              Prepare your own meal while she prepares her meal for herself and son, then sit down together and eat as a family. My husband and I do this very thing almost every day. Make a deal with her and tell her that if she will buy your food, you will prepare your own meal (I assume she does the shopping as she is a SAHM). I have to admit that if I were a vegetarian, the last thing I would want to have to do is handle and cook meat all the time.
              Yeah... I've suggested that. Her biggest thing is budgeting too. We now have to buy different stuff for different meals.
              Re-Starting Paleo January 10, 2013

              SW - 185.4 lbs Janury 10, 2013
              CW- 179.8 lbs
              Goal- 168 lbs Full Performance Level PBF, 32" waist, lean...

              MY PALEO JOURNAL

              "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity."
              ~ Abraham Lincoln

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by CaveWeirdo View Post
                I cook every day for my diabetic non-primal partner. There is no convincing him so I've stopped nagging. Luckily he normally gives most things a try so I manage to cook 1 type of meal with extras for him, rather than doing 2 completely seperate meals. He basically eats what I eat but for him I'll add a small amount of starchy stuff like some beans/potatoes.

                I don't have a toddler to look after though.

                Maybe you should offer to cook for your family sometimes, and add some of their favourites on to a primal meal? Then your partner won't mind as much, having to cook a bit of meat to add to your meals.
                Thats a great idea. Maybe I could just take over a couple meals a week, and cook and freeze enough for other days. Thanks for the good ideas everyone...
                Re-Starting Paleo January 10, 2013

                SW - 185.4 lbs Janury 10, 2013
                CW- 179.8 lbs
                Goal- 168 lbs Full Performance Level PBF, 32" waist, lean...

                MY PALEO JOURNAL

                "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity."
                ~ Abraham Lincoln

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by jllundqu View Post
                  Yeah... I've suggested that. Her biggest thing is budgeting too. We now have to buy different stuff for different meals.
                  Yes, the money aspect can be difficult. Eating Primal isn't cheap. I have found that I have had to alter the rest of my family's diet a bit in order to make it work on our budget. But, those alterations mean I don't buy junk food ever, and I always have a supply of fresh fruits and veggies for everyone to eat. So, it has worked out for the most part. I think my husband actually suffers the most, lol!! No more processed mac and cheese, chips, cookies, granola bars etc in the house. Oh well, it's not good for him anyway, lol!!!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Since she loves Mexican & Italian eats, maybe encourage her to try making some carnitas and paleo lasagna? My husband goes gaga for Hasta La Vista Pasta Lasagna from Everyday Paleo by Sarah Fragoso.
                    --Trish (Bork)
                    TROPICAL TRADITIONS REFERRAL # 7625207
                    http://pregnantdiabetic.blogspot.com
                    FOOD PORN BLOG! http://theprimaljunkfoodie.blogspot.com

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      My sister is marrying a vegan. I have already had this discussion with her. Her fiancée hasn't eaten meat since age five and has already said multiple times that it will never happen. Her fiancée is not overweight, but nor is her fiancée in the peak of health either. Her fiancée has serious muscle mass issues, and has been told to up the protein intake from more than one doctor and nutritionist but just won't! Aside from doubling down on the over-salted soy burgers.

                      It's a message that's never going to take and I have just learned to accept it. *sigh*

                      But damn, it's hard watching my sister's loved one eating a diet that's ruining their health. But you really can't force it on them. Take my case. If I did, my sister would stop talking to me and call me a jerk and an insensitive moron and I'd ruin my relationship with her.

                      People make their own decisions you know? As the great Paul McCartney once said, "live and let die."
                      "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
                        My sister is marrying a vegan. I have already had this discussion with her. Her fiancée hasn't eaten meat since age five and has already said multiple times that it will never happen. Her fiancée is not overweight, but nor is her fiancée in the peak of health either. Her fiancée has serious muscle mass issues, and has been told to up the protein intake from more than one doctor and nutritionist but just won't! Aside from doubling down on the over-salted soy burgers.

                        It's a message that's never going to take and I have just learned to accept it. *sigh*

                        But damn, it's hard watching my sister's loved one eating a diet that's ruining their health. But you really can't force it on them. Take my case. If I did, my sister would stop talking to me and call me a jerk and an insensitive moron and I'd ruin my relationship with her.

                        People make their own decisions you know? As the great Paul McCartney once said, "live and let die."
                        This. I'm coming to grips with the reality my dad's simply a grown man. I can't make his decisions, for him; nor, will I have it otherwise. Unless they ask, I'm not talking, anymore.
                        If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          As other have said, I don't think you can really expect her to cook your meat for you.

                          But cooking a vegetable centric meal where you have a little meat on the side (that you cook yourself) seems like a reasonable compromise.

                          How about this? You eat steaks for lunch, and eat fish / vegetarian at home. Does that sound workable?
                          Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

                          Griff's cholesterol primer
                          5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                          Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                          TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                          bloodorchid is always right

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I think your wife is being selfish. She sees you're on an eating plan that's increasing your health status. A loving partner would support this. You work hard all day to provide your family with a roof over their heads and food on the table, the least your wife can do is cook that food. Sure, it may be out of her realm and take a little more effort, but it's not asking the moon and the stars. You need to gently remind her of this. You've already gotten great advice from others on how to make the cooking easier for your wife. All the best to you!
                            I'm retraining and strengthening my taste buds, one primal meal at a time.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
                              As other have said, I don't think you can really expect her to cook your meat for you.

                              But cooking a vegetable centric meal where you have a little meat on the side (that you cook yourself) seems like a reasonable compromise.

                              How about this? You eat steaks for lunch, and eat fish / vegetarian at home. Does that sound workable?
                              yes,it seems that you are only talking about 1 meal/day during the week. you could eat eggs, meat, and so forth for breakfast and lunch. on weekends maybe you could cook brunch with something like coconut-flour muffins or pancakes for the whole family??

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X