No announcement yet.

Has anyone considered eating flowers?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flower shop flowers are not a good idea to eat--they're sprayed with lots of weird crap while growing and often have chemical preservation agents added to keep them looking nice. I'd also be cautious of foraging dandelions or clover from public parks where spraying might take place. But if you can find a reasonably clean source (a yard where you know no spraying takes place or maybe wildflowers from a place where humans wouldn't be spraying chemicals, etc.), there are lots of tasty flowers: nasturtiums, rose petals, violets, violas, marigold, clover, elderflower, lavender, dandelions...

Other flower-based foods include capers (a flower bud), saffron (stigmas from a type of crocus), and vanilla (orchid pods).
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Day lilies are yummy.
      Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

I like fried zucchini flowers - they're yummy stuffed with cheese, white rice, onions, garlic and fresh herbs, with a baby zucchino still attached. Quite difficult to source, but I've found a local farm shop that sells them.
        F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

The "spring mix" being sold by one booth at our local farmer's market had some herbs in it that had started to flower. They left the flowers on the herbs as they sold the mix. So I guess you could take it or leave it yourself. Kinda nice to be given the choice.
          "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

I like flowering borage. nice stuff.

yes, we eat a fair number of flowers, actually.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
              Day lilies are yummy.
              This...
              Day lilies!
              So few people eat them even thought they seem to be everywhere!

Lots of small flowers as well, better raw in salads mostly.

Also, Black locust blossoms... ahhhh.
              “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
              ~Friedrich Nietzsche
              And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

I just read that the tubers of Day Lilies are edible; they taste like and look like fingerling potatoes.
                http://honest-food.net/2010/06/29/dining-on-daylilies/

I am going to try some.
                Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

I just read that the tubers of Day Lilies are edible; they taste like and look like fingerling potatoes.

I am going to try some.
                  Nuttier than potatoes IMO.
                  Who knows the nutritional content... but tasty!

In TN, where I'm from, the standard orange day lily multiplies like wildfire in places where it's been planted.
                  We used to have lots near the house for flowers, and those needed to be thinned sometimes... and in other places around old home sites where it gets naturalized we'd get permission to dig clumps from the owner.

The old fashioned orange multiply the fastest too if you want to get good ones for munching on for planting on your own property. The fancy hybrids, not so much... showy flowers, slower growth.
                  Also, BONUS: the old fashioned ones can often be dug for free and added to your own yard.
                  Last edited by cori93437; 06-03-2012, 07:23 PM.
                  “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                  ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                  And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

I look at foliage and wonder if it's edible but finally have seen the light and am done with eating weeds I mean vegetation.

Comment

I am going to try some.
                      Just don't dig them if the Death Camus is nearby.

I eat daylily buds regularly. Mostly I saute them in loads of butter and eat them with scrambled eggs. They are also quite good pickled with pink peppercorns and served with charcuterie.

Comment

I like dandelion. Pansies taste like butter.
                        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

cool. the kindy is running a daylily fundraiser! i will get bunches tp plant all around. they are inexpensive!

Comment

Love the flowers on chinese broccoli.
                            My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Rose petals are yummy in a fruit salad. Only from the garden though (or someone elses!)

Comment

Fried pumpkin flowers in batter. One of my favorites.

Comment

Working...
                                X