Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vegetables

hey guys.
    theres alot of stuff our body needs, alot of minerals and vitamins and i know most of them we get by eating vegetables.
    So, what vegetables in your opinion are a must?

Dark green leafy (like spinach, kale, and chard), and cruciferous (broccoli, cabbage, sprouts) are the ones I turn to most often. I know they're good, but I don't have a breakdown of all the nutrients. Asparagus, bok choi, and gai lan also round things out.
    And technically fruit, but also tomatoes.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Comment

I loves me some veggies, but I don't eat them as often as I know I should. I do think they're important, but I also know it's OK if I don't ALWAYS have them. They're just good, and take up a lot of space to make me feel full.

Comment

You are somewhat mistaken to believe that most vitamins and minerals are gotten from vegetables. For years I believed that meat and animal products were nutritionless and worthless. Now I know the truth. There are vitamins and minerals in meat, fat and organs that are more easily absorbed by your body and some provide more vitality than their vegetable versions. Enjoy whatever vegetables you like, but eat your liver, too.
        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

ha I missed that the OP said that...
          Female, age 51, 5' 9"
          SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
          2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Comment

Done with vegetables, finally.

Comment

Vegetable are quite healthy but no paarticular vegetable is a "must." If I had to pick a few of the most nutritious I'd choose kale, other dark green leafy veg, carrots, and sweet potatoes. You can live without any vegetables, but you'll probably be healthier if you eat some, as far as I can tell. Which ones - depends on where you live, what you like, what season it is, etc.

Some pretty useless vegetables include iceberg or other light-colored lettuces, cucumbers, green peppers. Tomatoes out-of-season and shipped from Mexico or somewhere are really pointless.
              If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                You are somewhat mistaken to believe that most vitamins and minerals are gotten from vegetables. For years I believed that meat and animal products were nutritionless and worthless. Now I know the truth. There are vitamins and minerals in meat, fat and organs that are more easily absorbed by your body and some provide more vitality than their vegetable versions. Enjoy whatever vegetables you like, but eat your liver, too.
                There are particular vitamins and nutrients that are not really found in animal meats and even in the organs, only in small amounts. In those instances, veggies are more useful as sources for them.

In addition, though some vitamins and minerals are absorbed better accompanied with fat (vitamins D and E are prime examples), there are some vitamins and minerals that are water solulable and are absorbed fine without the presence of fat (vtamin C is a good example as is, I think, vitamin K).

For that reason, I recommend that most people keep a healthy diet of animal protein/fats and vegetables in the diet.
                "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
                  There are particular vitamins and nutrients that are not really found in animal meats and even in the organs, only in small amounts. In those instances, veggies are more useful as sources for them.
                  Which?

In addition, though some vitamins and minerals are absorbed better accompanied with fat (vitamins D and E are prime examples), there are some vitamins and minerals that are water solulable and are absorbed fine without the presence of fat (vtamin C is a good example as is, I think, vitamin K).

For that reason, I recommend that most people keep a healthy diet of animal protein/fats and vegetables in the diet.
                  Vitamin K is fat soluble. Adrenals, kidney and brain are all good sources of vitamin C

Perhaps some fact checking first next time
                  Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

A nice big salad every day with added spinach, along with all the usual suspects, and whatever veggies you enjoy eating. Food has got to be fun if you are going to stick to a way of eating for life.
                    The blog: Lean Ape

100 Steps To YOUR perfect Body

Comment

I'm also not sure which these are. I will agree that veggies are healthy, but have no idea what they provide that cannot be found in the animal kingdom. Certain minerals? That you'd probably get in the wild just by drinking natural water and accidentally eating dirt once in a while.
                      If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Roger M. Wilcox seems to think the idea that vegetables are "good for you" is a myth:
                        The Myth That Vegetables Are "Good For You": Vegetable-Free Living

Comment

Originally posted by saarx1 View Post
                          hey guys.
                          theres alot of stuff our body needs, alot of minerals and vitamins and i know most of them we get by eating vegetables.
                          So, what vegetables in your opinion are a must?
                          N/A....they are good as a condiment and for taste primarily.

Comment

Just go for a variety of different brightly colored fruits and vegetables with a good mix of both raw and cooked and you should be covering most of your bases.

Sure, you could probably survive without them but I see no need in pretending like I'm living in the Arctic. You would probably be wanting to make sure you eat raw organ meats and thyroid glands to be sure. I would rather get my vitamin C from a plum than raw seal liver. You can't be too sure how much nutrient loss occurs during cooking vegetables and meat, so it's good to include some fruit as well. Avoiding plant food would be cutting yourself short on all kinds of enzymes, anti-oxidants, phytochemicals, bioflavoinoids, polyphenols, caretenoids and other health promoting nutrients.
                            Last edited by Forgotmylastusername; 06-04-2012, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                              What she said.

I love my veggies. They provide a lot of variety in taste and texture in my diet. They're not as essential as animal products, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X