Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I in ketosis? And Should I not be?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Am I in ketosis? And Should I not be?

    Here is a sample of my daily menu:

    Breakfast: bacon, avocado, or leftover meat from dinner

    Lunch: a meat and veggies like spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, or something of the like

    Snack: this is the best part of my day! Protein smoothie made from pea protein (cant do whey), mixed with fresh juiced spinach, chard, watercress, kale, or a mix of them all and a carrot, and coconut milk.

    Dinner: same as lunch

    Notes: no nuts, no potatoes, no rice, occasional fruit

    I have had an increase in sweating and body odor. I usually can go deodorant free, but not since PB. My skin is also breaking out a lot more. I take zinc, magnesium, copper, phosphorus, and vit d supplements. And I am trying to rebuild muscle and even add some fat to my body composition. I'm at 21 percent body fat, and I at least want to maintain that. Am I eating enough carbs to stay out of ketosis? Would the extra body odor be coming from ketosis?
    Don't let anybody tell you, "You can't" just because they can't.

  • #2
    how long have you been eating that way? that's basically a ketogenic diet. can't say for sure re. your body odor issue, sometimes new foods, any new foods, can do that.

    Comment


    • #3
      3 months or so... Only new foods would be the chard, watercress, and kale. Detox symptom maybe?
      Don't let anybody tell you, "You can't" just because they can't.

      Comment


      • #4
        I don't digest starchy things well. Should I increase my digestive enzyme dosage and increase starches? I had a candida issue that I was treating and really limited sugars and starch... Will that cause another imbalance?
        Don't let anybody tell you, "You can't" just because they can't.

        Comment


        • #5
          you're definitely in ketosis! i don't really like ketogenic diets, but if you're happy, i'm happy. as for not being able to digest starch or sugar... look everyone's a bit different, but that doesn't really jive with my understanding of human anatomy. but do what feels best, if your health is good!

          Comment


          • #6
            Well, I'm not happy with it because I'm not gaining weight. I'm 110 lbs, and I look like I'm 12. My happy weight is 120-125. I started paleo bc of leaky gut. So to heal my gut and candida, I cut out starches. So anatomically speaking, I'm not working like a healthy person. How much is needed to get out of ketosis food quantity wise. I hate keeping up with grams... So like add a banana and some extra carrots kind of thing?
            Don't let anybody tell you, "You can't" just because they can't.

            Comment


            • #7
              add some real starch. a banana or ripe plantain, if you're looking for fruit sources, or sweet potatoes, real potatoes, taro, cassava, green plantains, or even white rice, if you're looking for veg.

              Comment


              • #8
                Personally, I think that ketosis is a great, short-term way to kick-start weight loss (among other benefits), but shouldn't be a daily way of life. And if you want to gain rather than lose weight, you need more carbs. If your candida is under control, I would definitely add at least one medium sweet potato or a couple of bananas a day. Increase probiotics and digestive enzymes too if you need to.

                I noticed that my body odor has changed slightly too... I think that for some people that's just a side effect of eating more protein.

                Mostly I would say don't eat the same thing every day. Change things up until you find your sweet spot (where you feel and look your best). Some people find they gain weight if they eat dairy or bananas... but my sweet spot includes both of those things. Everyone is going to have some slight variations within this way of eating - that's why it's great that it's so flexible. So play with it, experiment, and find what works for YOU. Clearly, ketosis is not what works for you.

                Comment


                • #9
                  What the others have said. If you feel and function better with more starch in your diet then by all means change it up a few times each week with some bananas, sweet potatoes, etc. I was eating rather low carb while shedding the blubber but now I have this flexibility where I can run off either fat or carbs and feel no difference either which way. Some days are much like yours with no problems and then on lifting days I eat a couple bananas or 3, have a little white rice or even just honey straight out of the jar.

                  I've gained a few pounds but it's lean muscle mass so no complaints really.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Legbiter View Post
                    What the others have said. If you feel and function better with more starch in your diet then by all means change it up a few times each week with some bananas, sweet potatoes, etc. I was eating rather low carb while shedding the blubber but now I have this flexibility where I can run off either fat or carbs and feel no difference either which way. Some days are much like yours with no problems and then on lifting days I eat a couple bananas or 3, have a little white rice or even just honey straight out of the jar.

                    I've gained a few pounds but it's lean muscle mass so no complaints really.
                    I'd like to gain muscle mass as well. I just tried some starch for snack, and now I feel bloated. That's what happens when I get starchy. But I don't want to stay in ketosis all the time. Should I give my gut more time to heal?
                    Don't let anybody tell you, "You can't" just because they can't.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by GeorgiaPeach View Post
                      I'd like to gain muscle mass as well. I just tried some starch for snack, and now I feel bloated. That's what happens when I get starchy. But I don't want to stay in ketosis all the time. Should I give my gut more time to heal?
                      It could be that your gut needs more time to heal. Your carbs don't absolutely have to be starch. Try berries and citrus fruit. They have a lower glycemic load so you won't get as much bang for your buck as you will with a banana, but it's better than nothing. Try different starches one at a time and see if there's one that doesn't make you feel bloated. I hope something works for you!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by GeorgiaPeach View Post
                        I'd like to gain muscle mass as well. I just tried some starch for snack, and now I feel bloated. That's what happens when I get starchy. But I don't want to stay in ketosis all the time. Should I give my gut more time to heal?
                        What is wrong with staying in ketosis? I'm not sure that I would force the issue were I in your shoes. You may wish to up your carbohydrates if you regularly engage in activities that would draw down your muscle glycogen stores, but barring that ...

                        With respect to gaining muscle mass, you would need to provide a stimulus as well as a context for that to happen. A high fat, high protein diet is certainly a good context, now you need to provide some strenuous training stimulus to exploit that.

                        -PK
                        My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

                        Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by pklopp View Post
                          What is wrong with staying in ketosis? I'm not sure that I would force the issue were I in your shoes. You may wish to up your carbohydrates if you regularly engage in activities that would draw down your muscle glycogen stores, but barring that ...

                          With respect to gaining muscle mass, you would need to provide a stimulus as well as a context for that to happen. A high fat, high protein diet is certainly a good context, now you need to provide some strenuous training stimulus to exploit that.

                          -PK
                          I started PB Fitness today. Now I'm 100% discouraged. I'm naturally athletic and active,but it kicked my butt (and I just did the intro level exercises). I also added bananas today with no problem... It's those stinking squashes that get me... But I am incredibly weak!! What happened to me?! What to eat to make that get better (in addition to working out of course)?
                          Don't let anybody tell you, "You can't" just because they can't.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by GeorgiaPeach View Post
                            I started PB Fitness today. Now I'm 100% discouraged. I'm naturally athletic and active,but it kicked my butt (and I just did the intro level exercises). I also added bananas today with no problem... It's those stinking squashes that get me... But I am incredibly weak!! What happened to me?! What to eat to make that get better (in addition to working out of course)?
                            We all start at the beginning, wherever that may be. Remember, you are the only competition that you have. Strive to be a better version of yourself, not some airbrushed fitness model. With that said, the name of the game is consistency and constant improvement. If you can squeeze out one more rep each successive workout, you will be well on your way to crushing it. If you cannot, you are probably not eating or not resting enough, or some combination thereof. Tweak accordingly if this happens.

                            -PK
                            My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

                            Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              what about adding in some nuts and nut butters? High calorie and fat, easy to eat.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X