Ghee versus Kerrygold

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ghee versus Kerrygold

Is ghee really that much better to cook with than Kerrygold butter?
    F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

**1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

**First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

because the milkfat solids are removed ghee has a higher smoke point than butter. your call.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

**takes notes** Thanks, noodletoy!

**1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

Comment

I make my own ghee from butter. Ghee is better because the milk solids 'burn' (go brown and smoke) at high temperatures.
        Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
        5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
        Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
        TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
        bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Many thanks, magicmeri!

Comment

But if you don't actually 'burn' them, those milk solids add a lot of flavor~ I think it depends on what you're cooking!

Comment

Yeah, if you are doing a lower temperature stiry fry (say simmering onions, tomatoes and courgettes together) then butter does taste awesome.

It's when you are frying meat that I turn to the ghee.
              Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
              5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
              Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
              TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
              bloodorchid is always right

Comment

i prefer the taste of Ghee to butter though...so I actually rather it for stirfry etc

Comment

I'm trying my first jar of ghee. I find it to be intensely flavourful. Like butter on steroids. I'm enjoying it during my Whole30, as it's an allowed fat while staying "dairy-free". Never have tried Kerrygold.

Comment

I bought some ghee recently, and I do not find it to be as good as butter. Maybe it's the brand I bought. It is good, and has a nice buttery taste, but it's nowhere near the greatest thing ever like I hear people say.

Comment

I think just like butter ghee will vary from brand to brand. Purity Farms brand was the first one I tried and I wasn't impressed...at all. Then I ordered from Pure Indian Farms and their ghee was fantastic (at least to me), a really rich flavor. They also have these falvored ghees that are lovely as well, the Digestive Ghee is my favorite on a hot sweet potatoe or even a bit in a cup of hot coffee or tea. It's pretty pricey stuff though.

Comment

Use your kerrygold to make ghee. Problem solved.

Making ghee is rediculously easy, plus you get to control the quality of the ingredients.

Cover mesh strainer with a few layers of cheesecloth. Take 2 sticks butter. Melt at low heat in a pan. Continue to cook until foamy. Watch carefully, and cook until the milk solids will begin to brown slightly and sink to the bottom of the pan. Remove from heat. Pour butter through strainer into a heatproof jar. Allow to cool, and store in the fridge.

Comment

Thanks, everyone!

Comment

ghee is magic for roasting vegetables, imo

Comment

It's not one size fits all.

I use coconut oil for cooking meat.
                              I use butter for vegetables.
                              I use ghee for frying eggs, and in Bulletproof Hot Cocoa.

Butter has a better taste because the milk solids provide some sweetness, but ghee is better for hot temps.
                              5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

Working...
                              X