• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oxide View Post
    It's not one size fits all.

I use coconut oil for cooking meat.
    I use butter for vegetables.
    I use ghee for frying eggs, and in Bulletproof Hot Cocoa.

Butter has a better taste because the milk solids provide some sweetness, but ghee is better for hot temps.
    Very helpful - thank you!
    F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

**1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

**First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

Comment

Originally posted by Unicorn View Post
      Use your kerrygold to make ghee..
      +1.

I'm a strong proponent of making your own clarified butter. Very easy and you get to make sure it is coming from the best source possible.

Comment

Kerrygold Irish butter is pretty ordinary as butter goes IMO and I much prefer the taste of President unsalted French butter from Normandy. Kerrygold is not a gourmet/premium brand in the UK. Butter can burn but if you add a little olive oil, it should be fine.

Ghee is amaaaazing. Like melted Cornish clotted cream (and not the bottled stuff available in US as that tastes nothing like real clotted cream). I buy mine from Spices of India as they have the manufacturers of Khanum ghee do their batches without ethyl butyrate and it's the only ghee I can find without that in the UK.

Comment

Any grass fed butter works. Kerrygold is popular in the US since it is widely available.

Comment

Do you have to refrigerate ghee? I have had it on my counter for quite a while....

Comment

Officially no, but most people I know do.

Comment

ghee and butter both can be stored at room temp.
                As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

I keep my tins stacked up on a kitchen counter. I find it gets really hard in the fridge.

Comment

I've been refrigerating mine, but I think I'm going to keep it on the counter. It's a pain to chip off a portion for cooking!
                    F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

**1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

**First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

Comment

Working...
                    X