Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Surprising Primal Problem - Advice Please!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the nausea sounds like a gut issue of the low-fat to high-fat transition. it should sort itself out.

some good suggestions here, but perhaps also try switching out some large-volume-low carb veg for lower-volume ones, like tomatoes and garlic instead of a big spinach salad.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Thank you to everybody who has responded! All the suggestions are exactly what I was looking for. The folks on this board sure know how to come through for a gal. *Sorry, going to college in the Dirty South (because that sounds so much cooler than just "the South") has given me an intense appreciation for what I think is funny Southern slang. Like gal. And y'all.

Ahem, back to the point.

FrankieG - I have been nibbling a square or two of dark chocolate most nights of the week, and I have been eating a generous amount of strawberries and blueberries since those are in season and I have aunts who live nearby in the country and grow a lot of fresh berries that they like to give away. I've made the coconut balls before and they're divine, so I would not mind making those a more frequent option. Thanks again for all the suggestions and for pointing out other Primal options besides the baked goods. I like the idea of a list of higher carb Primal foods since that is possibly what I need. Banana-berry-protein-kefir smoothie coming right up for breakfast (I usually have those 2-3x/week)

Bosnic - agreed on the muscle. I was just reading on freetheanimal.com that a lot of people have noticed that while the body is adjusting to this lifestyle the body fat does drop off rather immediately (for some, at least), but that after a few months it stabilizes and that after that transition it is a lot easier to put on muscle. I did 15 minutes of strength exercises yesterday and will wait 5-7 days to do some again. Thanks for the reminder to rest, and for making me feel better about just eating when I'm hungry, even if it seems like the hunger is low. I promise I won't go crazy! No craziness here. Whose crazy? *jokes*

Noodletoy - The more I'm reading the more I'm agreeing with you. I'm thinking a lot of my current issues are probably related to the transition and will work themselves out. I never thought someone would tell me to ditch my salads for a while, but it might be what is needed to get through the transition. I hadn't thought of focusing on higher-density veggies but it makes sense. Muchas gracias, friend.

You guys are great Thanks for offering advice and (maybe unwitting) comfort about the transition. Worries abated, good folks. You rock my socks.
      Live Clean, Love Hard. Or vice versa.

Female! Height: 5'10.5" HW: 161 SW: 135 CW: 124 GW: Whatever number my body wants to be when I'm eating and moving well - trying to get that muscle mass up.

Comment

Sweet potatoes, sweet potatoes, sweet potatoes (and white potatoes, and carrots, and parsnips!

I also have appetite issues if I am eating a lot of fat and protein, and I can't really afford to lose much weight, but if I eat starch with my meals, my hunger increases a great deal and I can eat more! Try making parsnip puree with tons of butter; it tastes amazing!

Comment

Ann1217 - Glad it's not just me who has had a wild appetite change with the meat and fat. Sweet potatoes I shall add!

And I'm kind of embarrassed to admit BUT because I never ate fruits and veggies till about 10 months ago (I was an EXTREMELY picky child and have just now gotten more adventurous) I have never had any idea what on earth to do with parsnips. You puree them, you say? With butter, you say? Can't go wrong with butter...That does sound amazing, and I will pick some up on the next trip to the market!

I thank you in advance for expanding my palate and veggie selection

Female! Height: 5'10.5" HW: 161 SW: 135 CW: 124 GW: Whatever number my body wants to be when I'm eating and moving well - trying to get that muscle mass up.

Comment

My husband is sort of in a similar position - his hunger levels are often way too low, to the point where he has to make a conscious effort to eat more, and even then he falls short sometimes, and we've found that he just can't consume enough calories unless he's eating carbs - potaoes, white rice, occasionally some properly soaked quinoa or gluten-free bread. So this has me thinking that maybe in your case, upping your carbs in the form of primal things like white/sweet potatoes and white rice (I know you said you cut out grains, but maybe this one would be okay?) might be necessary. He and I have both found that adding starches tends to make us hungrier a few hours after eating them. For this reason, I try not to eat lots of starchy/carby/sweet stuff for breakfast, because It sets me up for a high-hunger day, but maybe this would work in your favor? I wonder if eating a big starrchy breakfast, like potatoes or rice, with fruit/honey instead of fat would help to trigger your hunger later in the day, when you could focus more on fattier foods. Just brainstorming here...

Comment

Ha, don't be embarrassed! Just cut up the parsnips into pieces, steam them til they're tender (about 10 minutes) then throw them into the blender with a load of butter and a little salt and blend until silky smooth! Goes great with roasted chicken!

Comment

Wow, I just had an exam on Ehlers-Danlos in Biochem last week. I noticed that you said you haven't been eating much fruit. I imagine that your doctor has you taking a Vitamin C supplement right? (involved with collagen synthesis) You might want to check out if there is room for some additional citrus fruits in your diet, or replace some of the supplements with food. Since it's a fairly serious condition I'd check with my doctor before altering too much.

Comment

Bestbetter - sorry to hear your husband is experiencing the same curious conundrum. I think I agree with you and some of the other posters and think that some more carbs might be in order. My initial foray into the Primal lifestyle made me a little wary of excess carbohydrate consumption. The wonderful thing about PB, though, is how much it encourages you to experiment and listen to your own body. It is quite possible that my body is telling me to eat more 'taters! Fortunately I've always loved 'em (I jokingly credit my Irish ancestry and insist that the Potato Famine made my ancestors crave potatoes and they passed that down....too soon?), so I'm going to try to get more starch in me and see how that does.

Ann - thank you! That sounds very doable and delicious, and thanks for not making me feel superbly silly for not knowing what to do with a parsnip If they're good pureed, I'm wondering how they do just steamed and buttered and seasoned with garlic. Can you fry them in butter or lard? Now you got me all excited to try something new in the kitchen (and I *love* playing in my kitchen).

Comment

Parsnips are pretty versatile. If you were going to leave them whole or in chunks, I would recommend baking them, as they'll get crispier, or sauteing. I only steam when I puree them, so that they'll blend easier. But you can try them all sorts of ways!

Comment

Thank you ma'am! I shall... oh, I shall...

Comment

If you are struggling to reach a 'maintenance' level of calories and you feel you are eating plenty of fat already, I think the solution is to eat some primal carbs. Add an extra portion of either a starchy veg or a fruit, and keep adding gradually until your body fat % stabilises.
                        Start weight: 238 lbs (March 2012)
                        Current weight: 205 lbs (July 2012)
                        Loss so far: 33 lbs!!!
                        WOE: Primal + IF
                        Movements: Hiking, sprinting.
                        Goal: to see my abs some time in 2013!

Comment

I definitely have shared this experience off an on. The first 5-6 weeks I was hardly ever hungry. I had been watching my carbs and keeping them low in the 30-40g/day range. But was forcing down 1300-1400 calories a day. I started eating sweet potatoes and a piece of fruit every day and then my appetite increased for several weeks and I was happily eating 1500-1600 a day. I hit a little plateau for about 2 weeks, so I decided to cut fruit and potatoes out again and there went my appetite, but the weight is melting off again. For me, I think it is a side effect of ketosis. Definitely up your starches, fruits, nuts. I made the Paleo pancakes the other day. The only ingredients are bananas, almond butter, eggs. They were super delish and if I hadn't been making them for 5 other people I easily could have overdone it!

Comment

Roast your parsnips.

Cut a parsnip into quarters or wedges (or thick slices if it's an especially large parsnip). Put the bits in the roasting tray about 40 minutes before the joint is done, turning them so they get coated in the meat fat. After 20 minutes, turn the parsnips. After 40 minutes, eat with the meat.

Also works with carrots, celery, and a bunch of other vegetables.

Comment

Working...
                            X