Teenagers on Forum

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teenagers on Forum

As many of you have noticed, there are a number of teenagers who may or may not have eating disorders that are on this forum basically looking for weight loss advice. This is worrying for a number of reasons. Obviously, there are a lot of people here who are appropriately aged and legitimately need to lose weight; this is a great forum for these people to give and receive support. However, it is no doubt triggering and harmful for teens with eating disorders. What's worse, it is obvious that many people do not read these kids' entire posts and proceed to encourage them to fast or give up nuts or dairy or carb cycle or some other inappropriate advice.

PLEASE be more cognizant of the advice you give and to whom you give it. These kids are very impressionable and some of your comments may have profound effects on them. I think that the MDA forum is wonderful, and great for the right people, but 14-year-olds are not the right people, so, as adults, we should all be more responsible about how we respond to them.

Hear, hear!

Comment

I think it's more important to ALWAYS stress an appropriate awareness of one's body image for EVERYONE, not just teenagers. Why should it matter any less for adults? Our advice shouldn't be any different depending on age. It should be elevated as a whole. So much of the Primal/Paleo ought to be understanding that "you are what you eat" and all that; not "go low carb to look sexy, you stupid fat fuck."
      carl's cave

Comment

I do not disagree, but...

Parents should be more aware of their teens activities. There are solid indicators of eating disorders that any parent should be able to spot. IN addition, a parent ought to know what their child is reading online. It takes little effort to log activity and see that they are reading things that a parent may not want their teen reading.

Comment

Originally posted by Jiigigaw View Post
          Parents should be more aware of their teens activities.
          And that is the parents' responsibility; not ours.
          carl's cave

Comment

Originally posted by carlh View Post
            My parents tell me to eat less. Now according to Everybody on this forum I should not be following that advice. I was cooking steak for dinner and my mom said (jokingly though) "are you ever gonna eat normal portions?"
            well then

Comment

Originally posted by Gadsie View Post
              My parents tell me to eat less. Now according to Everybody on this forum I should not be following that advice. I was cooking steak for dinner and my mom said (jokingly though) "are you ever gonna eat normal portions?"
              Your mom may not be aware of what a normal teenage boy consumes. My DH often worries about how we're going to afford feeding DS when he gets to be a teenager.

Comment

carlh, I'm not sure why you're getting all pissy. I actually agree with most of what you're saying. I'm just encouraging people to think a little more carefully about how they respond, especially to people who clearly have unhealthy relationships with food.

Comment

I did not get the impression that he was being pissy, just thought he was pointing out that while it's good to be aware of your audience and how you want to address them effectively and appropriately, it's not our job to filter information for any kids out there. So on the one hand, yeah, it's good to be wary of what you're saying, but not to the extent that you are trying to be a parent to these people.
                  Depression Lies

Comment

Originally posted by carlh View Post
                    Yup, and to my kids annoyance... I know everything they do. MUAHAHAHAHA

Comment

"normal for who? A sedentary, post-menopausal woman, or an active, growing teenage boy?"

Then get ready to dodge the wooden spoon, rolling pin, or broom...

Comment

I think there should be a minimum age for people who are on the forums. It's one thing to offer advice to an adult and a completely different thing to offer advice to a teen whose body is still growing and shaping and forming. I think Mark should limit the forum access to 18 year olds and older. It could possibly be opening him up to litigation if anyone go poor advice on the forums and it caused harm. Just sayin'.

That said, if I know you're a teen, I won't give advice. I may have in the past without knowing the person's age, but if I know it, I won't speak to prevent myself from giving poor advice that would be good for an adult, but bad for a teen.
                        Primal since March 5, 2012
                        SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
                          I think there should be a minimum age for people who are on the forums.
                          I was thinking about this too; however, it would be just like Facebook. People know the age requirement and put their DOB before that. I think it would be nice if people would fill out their profile info and it included age (maybe could show up with the join date and location info.) Would be helpful, because otherwise, how are we to know how old someone is unless they include it in their post.

Comment

Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
                            I think there should be a minimum age for people who are on the forums. It's one thing to offer advice to an adult and a completely different thing to offer advice to a teen whose body is still growing and shaping and forming. I think Mark should limit the forum access to 18 year olds and older. It could possibly be opening him up to litigation if anyone go poor advice on the forums and it caused harm. Just sayin'.

That said, if I know you're a teen, I won't give advice. I may have in the past without knowing the person's age, but if I know it, I won't speak to prevent myself from giving poor advice that would be good for an adult, but bad for a teen.
                            What does age really have to do with it? It's not like a 15 year old is stupid and irrational and as soon as he turns 18 he suddenly becomes "smart" or anything.
                            Also, I think if for example fasting is healthy for an adult it is also healthy for teen. Because fasting does not equal more or less food, or healthier or unhealthier food, and yet you still catches the health benefits of fasting.
                            well then

Comment

What does age really have to do with it? It's not like a 15 year old is stupid and irrational and as soon as he turns 18 he suddenly becomes "smart" or anything.
                              Gadsie, I don't think that it was meant as an insult. Generally, with age comes more life experience. While you may be a young person that can take advise from other people and determine if this is something that it appropriate, many youths have yet to fully develop that ability, and this is where caution might need to be exercised. Also, it is not uncommon for there to be age restrictions on message board or social media. I'm pretty sure it's a legality issue.

Comment

Working...
                              X