Teenagers on Forum

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NobleSavage View Post
    This is where i disagree with you. Yes, conventionally anorexia is considered a mental illness.
    Heres the definition of a mental illness (according to a free dictionary)

According to this definition any obsessional behaviour is a disorder. Take materialism for example. Most of us are westerners or influenced by the western dogma. Wether we like it or not that makes us obsessional materialists and so mentally ill.
    The point im making here is that definitions are arbitrary and not neccesarily sensical. We like to create 'names' and 'disorders' for the type of behaviour that our society doesn't endorse. That way we can box em, crate, em and send them to a psychiatrist and be rid of them. Normality is nothing but the most commonly seen mental illness.
    Who's to say that everyone who is "concerned" about nutrition isn't actually OCD as well. I think we all have a little OCD since we are here and we are obsessed with eating well, losing weight, being the healthiest we can, or what have you. You have to be a little obsessed in this day and age in order to live this lifestyle. According to this definition I have OCD since my life revolves around eating, living, and exercising to stay well. I am always thinking about how to avoid the SAD diet and CW medical advice. Donuts in the break room, pizza with friends, doctors who want to medicate me for health problems caused by my previous SAD. Which looks to outsiders like I have drastically changed cognitivly, behaviorally, and psychosocially. Just saying...
    F/37yr/5' 5"
    SW: 154 March 2011
    CW: 140 July to Oct 2011
    PB: 145 gained 5lbs in first 4 months March to July 2012
    With a combo of PB and IF-ing 5 days a week (1 x 1200 calorie meal per day) I have lost 15 lbs PB/IF = 130 lbs July 2012 to current
    GW: 120
    Ultimate Goals ar to be: Happy/ Fit/ Energetic/ Feel great/ Balanced/ cure my thyroid and adrenals

Comment

I'm reading this thread and shaking my head. Does no one remember what it was like to be a young teen and watch your body become unrecognizable? I know I was upset~ the body I knew and trusted suddenly shaped different, no longer lithe and graceful. Clothes that once fit loosely, becoming tight and uncomfortable. Eating twice as much and not knowing why~

I'm glad no one labeled me as having a mental dysfunction while I struggled through those months of confusion.

Comment

Originally posted by Nady View Post
        I'm reading this thread and shaking my head. Does no one remember what it was like to be a young teen and watch your body become unrecognizable? I know I was upset~ the body I knew and trusted suddenly shaped different, no longer lithe and graceful. Clothes that once fit loosely, becoming tight and uncomfortable. Eating twice as much and not knowing why~

I'm glad no one labeled me as having a mental dysfunction while I struggled through those months of confusion.
        +1

Everybody here thinks I have an eating disorder, including me. But on the other hand, it's just kind of who I am. I have obsessed about the littlest things since I was 10. It never hurt me in the long run though.
        well then

Comment

Originally posted by Nady View Post

w0rd. not that i felt that way. i developed later and so i had heard it all and seen my friends go through it. my thoughts were "can we get this over already?" nevertheless, kid's looking for information and has a lot of anxiety about it. empathy goes a long way.
          my primal journal:
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Gadsie View Post
            +1

Everybody here thinks I have an eating disorder, including me. But on the other hand, it's just kind of who I am. I have obsessed about the littlest things since I was 10. It never hurt me in the long run though.
            Please ~ you're a kid~ that's what kids do. It's how they learn~ worry a thing over and over until it feels comfortable. Some people just forget what they were like while growing/learning. Including my own kids!

Comment

I have come to this lifestyle and MDA to help recover from an ED. I believe that eating the food my body is meant to eat and listening to hunger and satiety signals will help me recover from a very long-term ED that has come back rampantly in the last two years (I think following PND and trauma). There is a lot of shame for me about being anorexic and so obsessive and I hide it from the world pretty well. I come here to learn, to read advice and choose what works for me, to have a few chuckles and to connect with other people who see nutrition and a healthy lifestyle as the key to all-round wellbeing.

There are quite a few undisclosed EDs on this forum, maybe some members don't even recognise the ED in themselves. Forums about food are inevitable going to attract folk with EDs, and how wonderful that the communnity here is on the most part supportive. Teenagers are particularly vulnerable and I agree with other members that they are far better here than on a pro-ana site.

Feeling crazy and obsessed about food and weight is draining and humiliating. I hate it and would gladly trade it in. But I am learning and doing my best. I had breakfast today (3 fried eggs, tomatos and mushrooms fried in butter) and when I saw it on my plate (huge it was!) I almost burst into tears and threw it out. I've eaten it...but now my days looms ahead with fear that I've eaten too much and and I'm going to be fat and how can I make up for those extra breakfast calories. Yet I've learned from this forum and from my own trial and error that if I don't eat breakfast and starve myself I'll end up cramming myself at some stage with high carbs and sugar. This is scary stuff for me and I'm pushing 40, so life experience is not an issue here, the illness is the issue.

It was suggested to me a few days ago that I eat only primal meat, veg and eggs for a month and see how I go. Cut the dairy and fruit and eat when I'm hungry. I thinkIi might try it. I'm not exactly sure where I'm meandering to here, I think I want to say that this is very much a community. I believe that most people in this site would like to see their own children, families, friends and community at large thriving on a Primal lifestyle. So when desperate and fearful teens come here looking for a solution we can be there with open arms and guide them. They might not listen, which is another issue, and sometimes excessive help can turn into enabling, which is yet another issue. But berating, belittling and dismissing them outright is not in the spirit of MDA. I have read a lot of this recently and I shrink my anorexic head in and lurk some more.

Anyway. I'm very glad to be eating the foods that I am and feeding them to my kids also. I hope that if they ever needed help and advice from the primal community that they would be welcomed and supported.

Comment

Actually, there are big differences between having an interest in health and coming to something as a common interest and being obsessed with something. There are differences, and those differences can be defined and determined.

Also, I do not agree that it is necessarily normal for a kid to "worry over a thing" until they become comfortable with it. That wasn't' what i recall from my childhood. But, that's also not to say that there isn't something temperamental involved in the equation. I tend to be of a very laid-back temperament and always have been.

What I do see is that there are a number of people on the boards who are not thinking clearly. They are thinking about these things in an unhealthy way. For those people, many of us have expressed concern -- on their threads and journals -- to go and get help.

From there, there are two other camps of people: 1. those who are unhealthy physically and seeking to become healthy; and 2. those who are healthy and are interested in the topic/lifestyle and like to converse with like-minded folk.

I fall into this second category. I came to this lifestyle because my husband was having some health issues, and this seemed the easiest path for all of us to follow. It's been great for us, no worries. We've all been as healthy and happy as can be. I just enjoy the process. I'm not at all obsessed with anything about it.

For those who fall into the first, they tend to fall into two categories: A. those who seem to get great results quickly and easily; and B. those who need to find the exact right combination over time in order to get the results that they want. This second group often "looks like" they are obsessed, but they are often simply tenacious and trying to figure out what might work for them.

There is another group in this family -- I would say that they are not obsessed, but they are new -- people who come in and start something, do it for three or four days, and then change, and do that for three or four days, then change, and then might have a binge or three a long the way and 6 weeks in are frustrated that they haven't seen any changes. They just need to keep it simple. Honestly, do one thing for 21 days, and then see if you need to tinker.

But really, it's ok that we are diverse. We can learn to respect each other and also know when to advise someone to chill out, or to get help, or to keep it simple, or what have you. That's what being in a community is anyway.

Comment

I think that this thread has wandered a long way away from my original intention, which was just to ask people to read questions carefully and think a little about who they're coming from before they answer. I really do not understand what is so controversial about that, but please just try to get back to the heart of it, which is really just to be compassionate!

Comment

Maybe I could have avoided all of that if I had left the word "teenagers" out of the title.

Comment

I personally spent my teens dancing my a$$ off 6 days a week at aerobics. While I wouldn't say it was a *total* waste of time, it was almost. If I could go back in time I would eat this diet & walk, not work out all the time. Teenagers can and should have the option to learn the truth- life is simply too short.

Comment

I think it's presumptuous to assert that people aren't' thinking about their answers, or providing their best advice in light of what they view as the poster's context.

Comment

Originally posted by Ann1217 View Post
                          I think that this thread has wandered a long way away from my original intention, which was just to ask people to read questions carefully and think a little about who they're coming from before they answer. I really do not understand what is so controversial about that, but please just try to get back to the heart of it, which is really just to be compassionate!
                          +1
                          Originally posted by Ann1217 View Post
                          Maybe I could have avoided all of that if I had left the word "teenagers" out of the title.
                          +1
                          my primal journal:
                          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

OP, you need to get in touch with Grumpy, he's been fighting to keep these lousy kids off his savannah for years.

Comment

Working...
                            X