Whole 30 for June

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LeaB View Post

I am frustrated that just changing to the paleo lifestyle did not 'melt away' my fat like I hear so much, I have been at it for at least a year and have lost 8-10 pounds (and very small measurement changes) clothes are still size 12 but they are looser than before. So I was really hoping that if I was even more strict (my changes are to give up chocolate, alcohol, cream and greek yogurt (only dairy I was still using)) I would see results quickly like everyone else here seems to be seeing. alas, I will carry on and see if another week will show some signs. Don't get me wrong, I will continue paleo lifestyle as a I love it I don't feel like I am 'missing' anything (until this experiment! which I consider a stricter temporary change, after the whole 30 I intend to have these things again but in a minimal fashion)

Anyway, I don't know why I am rambling on, I guess because I am not seeing/feeling changes yet. But it is only Day 6 for me, I shouldn't expect too much.

Hey! It is Friday, one workday away from the weekend!!!!!
    Everyone have a great day!
    When I first went Primal I lost 50lbs but the settled around a size 14. I did eat massive amounts of nuts though but even when I was absolute thinnest I was a size 10 (on low fat SAD diet). I'm not built to be a size 3. Good Luck on this journey!
    My Blog: A Girl Worth Saving
    My Cookbook: Paleo Eats

Comment

• Originally posted by Bejelly View Post
      Congrats Marthat!

I can tell that cutting my carbs is working as my clothes are getting looser and wow am I energetic but I have a tough time sleeping for the past 3 days. I had sweet potatoes last night for dinner and slept like a baby.
      I almost always have carbs with dinner, because they definitely help me sleep. I think a lot of people around here have noticed that carbs for dinner help them sleep and that going too low carb negatively effects sleep. I'm not trying to lose weight, but I don't think that some starch with dinner should be too much of a problem for anyone. If anything, getting the sleep will be better for weight loss.

Comment

• That's awesome Martha! Very motivating!!!

Day 8
        B-3 eggs, bacon & green apple
        No lunch ate an early dinner
        D- Stuffed portobello mushroom w/ pulled pork, pineapple, onions & tomatoes supper yummy

Comment

• Wow - inadvertent 15.5 hour fast has been broken! Yowza.
          F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

**1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

**First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

Comment

• Originally posted by marthat View Post
            Weight this morning is back to lowest weight in almost a year. Wearing new jeans that fit like a glove, but are as comfy as pajamas - they are awesome and were only $10 at a vintage clothing store. SCORE!!

I'm on day 41. Have been 100% compliant with avoiding dairy, gluten grains (had a few tbsp rice once), legumes, probably 95% perfect with sugar and sweeteners. Down 9 lbs of real weight loss, 11.5 lbs from my artificially bloated starting weight. Happy, Happy, Happy!!
            FABULOUS!!! You're amazing.

**1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

Comment

• Originally posted by islandwahine View Post
              D- Stuffed portobello mushroom w/ pulled pork, pineapple, onions & tomatoes supper yummy
              This sounds yummy!

Comment

• Day 9:

Had to eat dinner super early cause I'm meeting friends and didn't want to end up starving and surrounded by no-no foods.

Breakfast: Coffee with 1 T ghee and 1 T EVCO.

Lunch: Bone broth with meat and gelatin from the bones.

Snack: 1/2 sweet potato.

Dinner: A few raw scallops, a few sauteed scallops, dinosaur kale with ghee, 1/2 sweet potato with ghee, a banana with coconut milk and cinnamon for dessert.

Off to be a a normal 24 year old (except that I'll be sober - yay).

Comment

• Ann- you use coconut oil in your coffee, not coconut milk? Interesting! I **still** can't find ghee near me (I'll probably have to make it), but once I get ghee, I'll give this a shot.

Comment

• I don't think I posted yesterday, pretty busy with a dress rehearsal on top of everything else. Anyway, I ate well and took two dog walks. For whatever's reason the only exercise I am doing is walking the dogs. I am having a had time making myself do the rest of my routine. I think at some point I might need to join a group class but am resistant to the idea because I consider myself to still be in recovery from adrenal fatigue.

9days in and the most telling improvement is zero back pain and a perfectly easy period. Yay! When I started I neglected to take some measurements so I did it today. Though by other folks standards I am a chunky monkey by my standards I am less than 20 pounds over weight, so at this point in the game I consider weight loss for me to be a vanity issue rather than a health one. What a relief after feeling out of control for my entire adult life.

Comment

• Day nine went great. Last night I had a binge and was feeling pretty bad about myself but woke up this morning ready to turn over a new leaf. I it so much easier to turn over a new leaf when you don't think so badly about yourself.
                      B-2 eggs and 3 slices of bacon. It was so freaking good
                      L-Skipped because of the big B
                      S-Bannana
                      D-Homemade sphagettie sauce with grass fed ground beef, mushrooms, broccolie, celery, onion, tomatoe and garlic. Mung bean sprouts on top. Very filling

Comment

• Day 9 update: University son is home for the weekend, and we are celebrating hubby's birthday and Father's day, since hubby will be leaving for a business trip in 5 days and will miss both. Supper tonight, by consensus between the returning son and his dad, was ribs. My recipe has a small amount of brown sugar and a large amount of ketchup. I boil the ribs in this sauce until very tender, then just finish on the BBQ. They are one of my best recipes. So I made them and ate 5 ribs worth, without any added sauce. Plus cheese free caesar salad. It was an awesome meal and I was stuffed! Dessert was a rhubarb crisp for the guys and I made myself a little Paleo rhubarb dessert. I kept out a handful of chopped rhubarb from the rest and added about a tbsp of water in a glass bowl. Cooked in the mic for 1:30, I think, then left to sit and soften. After a few minutes, I simply mashed it with a fork, added some sweetener and cinnamon and a few slivered almonds for a bit of crunch. It was yummy and a good alternative to the sugar-laden, oatmeal/brown sugar/butter crusted confection that I made for the others. (Without so much as a taste of the topping mix - a first for me, let me tell ya!)

Today at lunch, we had a tube of goose liver pate, a surprisingly Primal-compliant product. But rather than spread it on bread or crackers, I was eating fresh-from-the-garden radishes, so I cut them into rounds and used them as "crackers" for the pate. Not half bad!

Comment

• Day 9

Coffee w/CM
                          Skipped breakfast; not hungry and had TKD tournament class
                          Water

Black coffee

Lunch (breaking a 15.5 hour fast)
                          1 can of Wild Planet albacore tuna w/homemade paleo mayo, celery, carrot, onion, dill, black pepper, spicy mustard and crushed walnuts; BAS (spring mix of organic lettuces, cucumber); water

Snack
                          Apple w/almond butter; handful raw macadamias

Dinner
                          2 Applegate Farms Super Uncured Hot Dogs; sauerkraut; spicy mustard; BAS (mixed organic lettuces, bell pepper); water

Dessert
                          7 organic strawberries, chopped, with 1 banana sliced, in a bowl w/CM drizzled (proceeded to get heartburn after dessert -- will avoid CM tomorrow)

Vitamins - 3 omega 3s, 1 D3

WOD - TKD tournament class (knee was aching, so I was only able to give it about 70%. Frustrating.)

Went to the farmer's market today and picked up 2 pasture-raised chicken breasts (w/bone and skin) and 2 grass-fed beef shoulder steaks. Grilling tomorrow night! Other purchases (not from the market) include ghee, coconut aminos, coconut nectar, and CONVICT CONDITIONING, which I'm finding completely fascinating. And Loving Husband installed a Perfect Pullup bar -- while I can do standing rows, I absolutely cannot do even one deadweight chinup or pullup. Well, at least I have a benchmark! The day I can do one CU/PU I will know that I'm getting stronger.

Comment

• Day 9 was a success for me too. Fully of cravings though. Not sure what that was about but I really wanted cookies today. Cookies are my weakness.

B: (6 am)
                            4 sausage links
                            2 boiled eggs
                            vitamins

Movement: 5k walk with SIL in 55:18 pushing a stroller with a 35 lb baby girl and gear.

S: (1 pm) pkg Hormel nitrite/nitrate free turkey breast

Movement: grocery shopping

S: (5 pm) bratwurst and sauerkraut at the race track

Movement: chasing 2 year old daughter and 5 year old son at the race track.

D: (11 pm)
                            salmon filet sauteed in ghee
                            sugar snap peas in a pool of ghee

Mid-day meals were really lacking. Starving at 11 so I went ahead and made some salmon. Just sounded so good and I didn't want to go to bed with this hunger. Besides, the day was relatively carb free, not to mention uncommonly low on fat.

No change on the scale. Still up a lb and still stuck at 202. Where did my 201 go?? I miss 201.

On that note, I think I'll accept the invitation from my book and go lay down to read for a while. I hope everyone had a great day.
                            Primal since March 5, 2012
                            SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Correct, JackieKessler, I put coconut oil and ghee (or grassfed butter when not on whole 30) in my coffee. I put the coffee and 1 teaspoon of each (yesterday I did a tablespoon, cause I skipped breakfast) in the blender and blend it until it turns into a creamy consistency, almost like a latte. It's delicious!

Comment

• Hi all

Just popped in for an update and its nice to see so many doing so well.

Its going really well for me so I definitely keeping going. Eating between 1pm and 7pm is also suiting me and I never seem to be hungry. Generally I'm stuffing myself on a large Chicken salad at lunch with mixed berries for desert and then having Meat veg and berries for dinner - tonight is beef and tomato casserole with loads of veg which is melt in the mouth in 45 mins in a pressure cooker so its also reducing my cooking time.

I get through a couple of litres of water a day but don't tend to drink much else even though I have a cupboard full of herbal teas if I fancy something different.

Coming from a period of eating Junk I feel far less bloated and have definitely lost some weight as my clothes feel looser - but as other have said this could be mainly down to my body not needing to protect itself from all the sugar.

Anyway we're a third of the way there so good luck to everyone with the next third.
                                1st June 11 to 30st Aug 11 - 36lb removed in 13 weeks
                                Messed about on and off for the rest of the year

June 2012 - Had the practice - now time to do it for real

Comment

Working...
                                X