Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whole 30 for June

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by JackieKessler View Post
    Day 6

    B - black coffee

    Water

    L - Out to eat! Salad of kale, mango strips, walnuts and grapes drizzled with lemon juice (holy cats, TASTY); 2 HB eggs; water

    Black coffee

    D- Out to eat! 1/2 roasted free-range chicken w/skin, au jus, w/sauteed mushrooms, green beans, onions; water

    Snack - Apple

    Snack - 3 servings of raw macadamia nuts (oops)

    WOD - Holy cats, WALKING. Tons of walking. And based on how heavy my backpack and shopping bag got, LHT!


    So I'm feeling somewhat righteous. I was at Book Expo America* yesterday (one of the three largest book trade shows in the world) in NYC, and I stayed as close to Whole 30 as I could! No time for breakfast; for lunch I tried this wacky pre-fabbed salad from this high-scale cafe, and wow, it was tasty! (See above.) I ordered the 2 eggs to go with it so that I'd get some protein. And then dinner. Ah, dinner. I think I blew it. Even though I ordered the free-range chicken and ate it w/the skin, I forgot to say "gluten-free," and I have a sinking suspicion there may have been some flour in there somewhere -- and who knows what was used to roast it and get the skin so crispity? There was probably butter involved, or oil. I did say "no potatoes," at least. And I couldn't remember if green beans were okay or not, but I only had a few. That being said, I didn't go hog-wild, and even though the drinks were flowing, all I had was water. Huzzah! (I did feel a little bad on the way home, wondering if I blew it, and then I said, "Feeling bad changes nothing, and heck, I did my best, so enough with feeling bad about it." And then I had macadamias. So there!)

    So, lessons learned:

    1. ALWAYS request a gluten-free menu when dining out.
    2. If you forget to ask for gluten-free and have ordered something as close to Whole 30 as possible, don't sweat the small stuff.

    * At the Javitz Center in NYC. WALKING. Walking, walking, walking!!! Tons of walking. And walking to/from the train station to the center! And, by the way, WALKING. Whew.
    wow! you did awesome!!! I went out for dinner last night and did not do as well as you. I had salad with gluten free dressing, so that was fine, but I also had 2 glasses of wine I am feeling bad about it mentally and waking up with a headache didn't help either. Not sure why I caved. I think it was because there was NOTHING else besides water or club soda that I could think of. I drink water all day and just needed some flavor. I don't know if that makes sense, but drinking a coke would never cross my mind. Iced tea has caffeine, and didn't want sleep issues. I don't know, that was dumb, and I will have to do better.

    Question: Is there any other choices for drinks when you eat out? All I can think of are water, club soda, herbal iced tea (which I don't see offered at restaurants.)

    Comment


    • Awesome homemade paleo mayo that's quick and easy:

      Blender Mayonnaise
      ------------------
      If you like speed and ease of preparation, this is the mayonnaise for you!

      1 egg
      1 tablespoon or more fresh lemon juice
      1/4 teaspoon or more salt
      Pinch of white pepper ((Note: I didn't have any, so I didn't add any))
      1 cup paleo oil ((Note: I used light-tasting olive oil -- don't use EVOO, which tends to have a heavier taste))
      1 tablespoon boiling water

      In a blender, combine egg, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoon salt and white pepper. Process 10 seconds. With blender running, add oil in a thin stream. ((Note: This part is key. DON'T dump in the oil. Slowly drizzle it in. I drizzled, blended, drizzled, blended, drizzled, blended for about five minutes. DON'T RUSH.))

      Add water; process until thick and smooth. ((Note: This is when the mayo really looks like mayo!))

      Taste; add more lemon juice, salt and white pepper to taste. ((Note: I didn't add anything else.))

      Makes 1 cup.

      From: Grilling & Barbecuing: Best-ever Recipes for Meats, Vegetables,
      Fruits, Breads & Desserts-Indoors or Out!
      by John Phillip Carroll & Charlotte Walker
      F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

      **1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

      **First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

      Comment


      • FINALLY! I tried the coconut manna in the jar this am. warmed it, stirred and added it into my black coffee..... it gave the coffee a slightly sweet taste and it gave it a creamier look. this week i've tried, cocoa in coffee, cinnamon, and now the manna. hands down, the manna is the best!

        Comment


        • Originally posted by LeaB View Post
          wow! you did awesome!!! I went out for dinner last night and did not do as well as you. I had salad with gluten free dressing, so that was fine, but I also had 2 glasses of wine I am feeling bad about it mentally and waking up with a headache didn't help either. Not sure why I caved. I think it was because there was NOTHING else besides water or club soda that I could think of. I drink water all day and just needed some flavor. I don't know if that makes sense, but drinking a coke would never cross my mind. Iced tea has caffeine, and didn't want sleep issues. I don't know, that was dumb, and I will have to do better.

          Question: Is there any other choices for drinks when you eat out? All I can think of are water, club soda, herbal iced tea (which I don't see offered at restaurants.)
          Don't feel bad!!! You enjoyed the wine, and now you know that it will give you a headache and make you bleary the next day (it's tasty, but it is a toxin), so you can keep that in mind the next time. It's all good! Whole 30 is a learning experience as much as it is a health-centric experience.

          When eating out, there's also black coffee and hot tea (herbal or non-herbal), and water. And seltzer. I've gotten so used to having water that I don't think about it too much.
          F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

          **1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

          **First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

          Comment


          • Originally posted by TLoRu View Post
            FINALLY! I tried the coconut manna in the jar this am. warmed it, stirred and added it into my black coffee..... it gave the coffee a slightly sweet taste and it gave it a creamier look. this week i've tried, cocoa in coffee, cinnamon, and now the manna. hands down, the manna is the best!
            Ooh, I haven't heard of coconut manna! I'll have to be on the lookout for it. Glad you found something that works for your coffee!
            F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

            **1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

            **First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

            Comment


            • Tropical traditions has coconut manna. You can make your own if you have a blender. Stick blender and food processor will not do the trick. I know as I have tried. Coconut manna is expensive though so I haven't ordered any.

              Day 6 is complete. Total weight lost: 5 lbs.

              B:
              4 sausage links
              2 boiled eggs
              vitamins

              D:
              taco meat (deer and pork mixed with McCormick Mild Taco Seasoning - all natural ingredients)
              Shredded iceberg lettuce
              Salsa - sure did miss the cheese and sour cream

              Weight is up 1 lb today. Must be the sodium in the taco meat. I don't expect it to remain long.

              Movement: 30 minute walk with work friend. General house stuff

              I'm think I'm doing ok. My food choices are spot on. I discovered late yesterday that I forgot to take my antidepressant. Aside from some mild withdrawal symptoms I've felt fantastic so I didn't take it again today. My problem is more anxiety than depression. Primal has allowed me to reduce my dose in half and I had planned on fully eliminating the medication anyway through the Primal Blueprint. Told DH that I failed to take it yesterday. He made a joke about getting old and needing one of those pill minders. lol I told him that I'm thinking my body is no longer in need of it if I'm not subconsciously making it a priority to take it and he agreed. So, I didn't take it again today to test myself and see how I feel. I have no significant stressors in my life anymore (like I did when I started taking it) so I think it'll be a good experiment.

              Ok, busy day so gotta jet. I have a paper due tonight and two discussion questions for another class. Busy busy day. Thank you procrastination!
              Primal since March 5, 2012
              SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)



              Comment


              • Originally posted by Jennerator
                I'm moving on and not getting discouraged!
                Totally water weight. You're doing wonderfully -- because you're right, two days of not quite Whole 30 after five days of Whole 30 isn't a deal breaker. I wouldn't even reset the count, if I were you; I'd go ahead and call this Day 7 and aim to stick with Whole 30 foods as much as possible. (I hope the prosciutto and sushi were delicious!!!)
                F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

                **1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

                **First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

                Comment


                • Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
                  I'm think I'm doing ok. My food choices are spot on. I discovered late yesterday that I forgot to take my antidepressant. Aside from some mild withdrawal symptoms I've felt fantastic so I didn't take it again today. My problem is more anxiety than depression. Primal has allowed me to reduce my dose in half and I had planned on fully eliminating the medication anyway through the Primal Blueprint. Told DH that I failed to take it yesterday. He made a joke about getting old and needing one of those pill minders. lol I told him that I'm thinking my body is no longer in need of it if I'm not subconsciously making it a priority to take it and he agreed. So, I didn't take it again today to test myself and see how I feel. I have no significant stressors in my life anymore (like I did when I started taking it) so I think it'll be a good experiment.
                  The stuff in the taco meat spices may have some preservatives thrown in there, and I'm sure there's a load of sodium; I'm confident that extra pound won't be around for very long.

                  Be careful if you go cold turkey with the antidepressant -- there will be side effects. You may want to call your doctor and discuss a controlled way to ween yourself from the med. No matter what you decide, three cheers to you for working to beat the depression!

                  Interesting stuff: wheat is linked to inflammation, and inflammation is linked to depression. So being grain-free, therefore, should lead to a more positive outlook overall and better coping skills.
                  F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

                  **1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

                  **First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by JackieKessler View Post
                    The stuff in the taco meat spices may have some preservatives thrown in there, and I'm sure there's a load of sodium; I'm confident that extra pound won't be around for very long.

                    Be careful if you go cold turkey with the antidepressant -- there will be side effects. You may want to call your doctor and discuss a controlled way to ween yourself from the med. No matter what you decide, three cheers to you for working to beat the depression!

                    Interesting stuff: wheat is linked to inflammation, and inflammation is linked to depression. So being grain-free, therefore, should lead to a more positive outlook overall and better coping skills.
                    I have been slowly weaning for weeks now. I reduced my dosage in half and stayed there for about a month before I started "missing" my dose. And the fact that I'm missing a dose and not experiencing any withdrawal symptoms tells me I did it the right way. Withdrawal symptoms for this drug (for me anyway) constitute as "Brain Zaps" where it feels like you're being electroly shocked from the brain and it travels down arms, legs. I've felt it in my teeth, as well. It's really disorienting. But I've had none of these feelings in the last two days, which is a good sign.

                    The taco seasoning I get is preservative free. Check it out. It's made my McCormick and only includes spices. They tell you what spices are in it as well. I'm sure the sodium is excessive, but since it's technically all "primal" ingredients, I haven't concerned myself with the sodium content.

                    SPICES (INCLUDING CHILI PEPPER, CUMIN, PAPRIKA, OREGANO), ONION, WHEY (MILK), SALT, SUGAR, GARLIC, POTATO STARCH, AND CITRIC ACID. Taco Seasoning Mix

                    Nutrition info says that there is 6 grams of sugar in the whole packet, and the packet is 6 servings in size. 1 gram of sugar is not a concern to me, really.
                    Primal since March 5, 2012
                    SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)



                    Comment


                    • I could really go for some cheese... plain lunch meat just doesn't appeal the way lunch meat and cheese do.
                      Primal since March 5, 2012
                      SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)



                      Comment


                      • I'll have to check out the Coconut Manna. I haven't had a chance to make bulletproof coffee but I just added the coconut oil and ghee to my black tea and pretty tasty.

                        B - 2 eggs + bacon
                        L 2 hamburger patties + avocado and sauteed spinach
                        D - dry rubbed oven baked ribs and broccoli.

                        Going for a nice walk with the fam in a couple of minutes.

                        BadBunny congrats on the flat stomach!
                        Last edited by Bejelly; 06-07-2012, 06:27 PM.
                        My Blog: A Girl Worth Saving
                        My Cookbook: Paleo Eats

                        Comment


                        • I'm feeling pretty good, this is effectively GAPS diet with some differences but it's going pretty good. I'd say i'm at about 15days in? So half way. Gut health has improved i think.

                          Will be a big decision on whether i infact change anything at the end of the 30days or just live like this, if it ain't broke dont fix it as they say.

                          Comment


                          • Despite how good I feel and all the positive changes, I will probably bring fermented dairy back into the diet and see how things change. If it's bad, I'll reluctantly give them back up, but I do miss my fermented dairies.
                            Primal since March 5, 2012
                            SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)



                            Comment


                            • I was thinking that, reintroducing kefir at least. like you i will probably see how i feel and limit it or stop completly if i'm not happy.

                              Comment


                              • Well, so far so good. I made an exception to go out for sushi with a friend who was in town. With all my food allergies there's not much else that I can do. Still managed to make the rice fit into my low carb that I'm trying (under 100g). I'm not going to sweat it. I don't honestly have any problem avoiding grains so it's not something I'm stressing about. Sugar on the other hand... That being said I've had no added sugar since I started. I've been playing with intermittent fasting the past week and I've been surprised how easy it is. The only problem I've had with it is getting enough calories in during my feeding window. Plus I just realized today that I've been 100% faithful with my workout schedule for the past three weeks which feels good.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X