Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weekly farmer's market haul thread...

Hi guys!

Lately I've been wondering, how many of you guys go to farmer's markets regularly (weekly for some of you)? And yes, going straight to the farm also counts here.

I've recently posted a thread about how lately, everything I eat has been from the farmer's market.

So, I've posted this thread for us to share what we bought and other nice experiences had at the farmer's market (or on the farm) to inspire people, give them ideas about new or unusual foods to try, and just in general, inspire folks to get out there and explore their local food sources more!

Feel free to comment on what others are saying they've been buying at the markets and the experiences they've had.

I'll get us started:

Today: Bought 1.3 lbs of grass-fed beef ribs for grilling tomorrow. For the week ahead I bought, 3 lbs of grass-fed ground beef, 1 lb of pasture-raised pork chops, a dozen eggs from full pastur-raised hens, some locally grown, produced, and certified organic sauerkraut, some of the best asparagus I've seen in my life, some wonderful spinach, and some 100% grass-fed, raw cheese from a wonderful cheese vendor who's just the greatest guy ever. He even told me I could have two dollars off my feta because I buy from him so often!

Leftover from last week's market: Some kale that's just been the most amazing batch I've ever had, and a pound of pasture-raised ground pork.

Bonus experience: In addition to getting the discount on the awesome cheese, the guy who does the sauerkraut, pickles, and kimchi also sells coffee. He politely asked if I would please have a cup of coffee (on the house) of his latest roast just to try it out and let him know what I thought. Spent 20 minutes talking to him as I sipped his wonderful (and I think he said organic) coffee and learned a lot about both fermented foods and how to do it, and his coffee roasting methods.

All this, before noon, and this is shaping up to be a great day!

So, how about you guys? Time to share your weekly farmer's market experiences!
    Last edited by Drumroll; 05-27-2012, 08:59 AM.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Weekly for us. Got some pork sausage, beef liver, green onion , duck eggs and a giant wooden spoon someone carved (it'll be awesome to stir my bone broth with).

There was also a Paleolithic Weapon Master with ladles and other weird, deadly looking tools/weapons made out of wood and animal parts.

Not much available here yet otherwise, climate is too cold for 1400 ft elevation. Today it hailed ice nuggets the size of marbles. Gotta wait til mid June to get the good stuff.

Comment

Weekly for us too:

Farmer's Market was today:
      - Grass-fed beef roast (still have some ground beef from last week)
      - Smoked pasture raised pork-chop and bacon
      - Three dozen organic pasture eggs (1 dozen left over from last week)
      - Organic lettuce, onions, garlic and cucumber

Not a whole lot of organic produce available yet. Should be coming in the next few weeks.

Comment

Well not ezactly "farmers market" But
        once every 4-6 weeks we go to my Farm Butcher & Pork farm (there only a couple miles from each other) to stock up on at least a months worth of Beef, Pork, Lamb, Bacon etc etc.
        every 1-2 weeks I go to the local Dairy Farm for Fresh butter, Cheeses, veal, and sometimes more bacon.
        Also go to the fishmonger a couple times a month for stuff like scallops, squid, razor clams, tiger shrimp along with any other fish.
        And we have a fishvan that comes by weekly that I usally get some salmon & smoked mackrel from (they dont have a big selection like the fishmongers)
        I get a delivery of fresh organic veg from the local organic farm (does that count? )
        And my local farmer, 3 minutes walk up the road has a stand at the farm about 9 months out of the year with lots of fresh local grown (that is, the field right behind his stand) veg & fruits etc & Fresh free range eggs year round.

I hardly ever step foot in a conventional supermarket anymore
        Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by DinoHunter View Post
          Well not ezactly "farmers market" But
          once every 4-6 weeks we go to my Farm Butcher & Pork farm (there only a couple miles from each other) to stock up on at least a months worth of Beef, Pork, Lamb, Bacon etc etc.
          every 1-2 weeks I go to the local Dairy Farm for Fresh butter, Cheeses, veal, and sometimes more bacon.
          Also go to the fishmonger a couple times a month for stuff like scallops, squid, razor clams, tiger shrimp along with any other fish.
          And we have a fishvan that comes by weekly that I usally get some salmon & smoked mackrel from (they dont have a big selection like the fishmongers)
          I get a delivery of fresh organic veg from the local organic farm (does that count? )
          And my local farmer, 3 minutes walk up the road has a stand at the farm about 9 months out of the year with lots of fresh local grown (that is, the field right behind his stand) veg & fruits etc & Fresh free range eggs year round.

I hardly ever step foot in a conventional supermarket anymore
          I have a fish guy that occasionally shows up at the farmer's market I go to, but I REALLY wish I had a quality fishmonger/fish shop around where I lived. My local grocery store isn't horrible for that, but it's far from a dedicated shop for it and I generally don't get over there anymore anyway.
          "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

The produce is out in force where I'm from. Local farmers hawking their delicious green things everywhere!

Comment

My local produce spot is kind of like a farmer's market because they carry half of their produce locally, as well as all the fresh meats they sell.

Latest haul for me (once a week):
              5 lbs grass-fed beef
              2 heads organic romaine
              3 lbs organic tomatoes
              2 lbs zucchini
              1 bunch parsley
              3 lbs sweet potato

Mmmm
              My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
                My local produce spot is kind of like a farmer's market because they carry half of their produce locally, as well as all the fresh meats they sell.

Latest haul for me (once a week):
                5 lbs grass-fed beef
                2 heads organic romaine
                3 lbs organic tomatoes
                2 lbs zucchini
                1 bunch parsley
                3 lbs sweet potato

Mmmm
                That's quite a haul. I can dig it!

Comment

Chicago has a bunch of markets so I hit the big one Saturday (Lincoln Park) and a smaller one downtown on Thursday if I run out of anything. This week I bought eggs, salad mix, carrots, and two pints of strawberries since everyone had buckets of them! I don't get them every time, but there's a guy who makes homemade pork rinds that are amazing and another guy who sells elk jerky.

Comment

Not farmers' market, but a variety meats store:
                    Whole rabbit
                    Duck breasts
                    Ground elk
                    Wild boar chops
                    Ahi tuna steak
                    Bison steak
                    Alligator

Comment

I wish I had a store like that around here... I could go for some "variety meats."

Comment

Originally posted by KatieCHI View Post
                        Chicago has a bunch of markets so I hit the big one Saturday (Lincoln Park) and a smaller one downtown on Thursday if I run out of anything. This week I bought eggs, salad mix, carrots, and two pints of strawberries since everyone had buckets of them! I don't get them every time, but there's a guy who makes homemade pork rinds that are amazing and another guy who sells elk jerky.
                        Wow, no markets are quite that large around me, unless I went into the city on a Saturday, but that would take some effort. Instead I'll stay home and get my workout done.

Comment

So, it's time for week two of the farmer's market hauls!

What'd you all get this week?

Me: Tea lady was at the market so got some organic Genmaicha tea and the Golden Monkey black tea, have had a cup of each already and all I can say is YUM.

For meats, I got three lbs of grass-fed ground beef, two amazing looking sirloin steaks, and a chuck roast. Veggie-wise I got the greatest looking mustard greens, some purple (yes, you read that right) cauliflower. And again, got a dozen eggs from pasture-raised chickens.

Leftovers: Spinach from last week, the ribs (ended up meeting with friends on Memorial Day so didn't make 'em), a little bit of that awesome asparagus, and still some of that sauerkraut.

How about you guys?

Comment

Farmer's Market Goodies picked up today: (I posted it in the wrong thread earlier)

Grass Fed Beef - Round roast
                            Pasture Pork - Smoked pork chops and Smoked bacon
                            Organic Pasture chicken eggs: 3 dozen (still have 1 dozen left from last weekend's trip to the FM)
                            Veggies: organic romaine and organic cucumber (still not a whole lot of local produce available.)

Comment

I bought 2 organic chickens from a friend, she has some connections to a Hutterite farm. $12 each, and they are both around 6-8 lbs! Dirt cheap. They sell for close to $30/chicken at the farmers' market.

Comment

Working...
                              X