No announcement yet.

Weekly farmer's market haul thread...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I definitely wouldn't eat a regular turnip raw. You can also cook the Japanese turnips. They are also very good quickly fried in butter or ghee, with salt and pepper. This is likely how we'll be enjoying them. If you can find them, give 'em a shot. IMO, they are better than regular turnips.

Comment

Originally posted by Metric View Post
      I definitely wouldn't eat a regular turnip raw. You can also cook the Japanese turnips. They are also very good quickly fried in butter or ghee, with salt and pepper. This is likely how we'll be enjoying them. If you can find them, give 'em a shot. IMO, they are better than regular turnips.
      I assume they look different in some noticeable way as to be identified? I'll have to Google an image.
      "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
        I assume they look different in some noticeable way as to be identified? I'll have to Google an image.
        They look like large white radishes with green stalks/leaves.

Comment

Time for week four of everyone's favorite thread!

This week at the farmer's market, I bought:

1 lb of pasture-raised pork loin chops, 3 lbs, of grass-fed ground beef, 1 dozen pasture-raised chicken egs, for protein sources. For veggies I bought more sauerkraut (yes, I love that stuff), some amazing broccoli, and some wonderful purple cauliflower (yes, you read that right).

Misc/other, I bought: Some wonderful vanila chai tea (won't be drinking with milk though, but it's still amazing, trying it right now), and some matcha green tea powder (antioxidants anyone?).

Special note: The color (bright purple) of the cauliflower comes from the type of antioxidants in it. The color of cauliflower can vary widely. They had for sale: white, green, yellow, pink, and purple cauliflower. While similar in mineral and vitamin content, other properties like antioxidants and flavor probably vary widely among the colors.
          Last edited by Drumroll; 06-17-2012, 09:20 AM.
          "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

2 lbs organic nectarines
            2 lbs organic spinach
            2 lbs purple sweet potato
            2 bunches parsley
            Yummmm
            My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

We went to an organic u pick em farm, bought peaches, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, squash, Vidalia onions
              Seedless watermelon, cantaloupe, grapefruit, cabbage, kale, sw. Pots, tomatoes, broccolini

DH ( who I need u guys to pray for) bought fresh peach ice cream, 2 jars of homemade jam and lemon cookies!!!

Comment

It's that time again folks! Share your weekly hauls!

This week:

3 lbs grass-fed ground beef, 1 lb pasture-raised ground pork, and 1.25 lbs pasture-raised pork loin chops. Got more sauerkraut, and some awesome okra, mustard greens, and 2 dozen eggs from pasture-raised hens.

Leftover from last week:

Some great cauliflower and broccoli which I will probably finish up this week.

All in all, fridge is looking pretty full alongside my roommate's SAD collection of foods!

Comment

Nice haul today! 5 pounds grassfed ground beef, a dozen pastured eggs and a gorgeous 2+ pound grassfed sirloin steak. I also bought 6 bunches of kale, a few bunches of spinach, a head of cabbage and a box of gorgeous cherry tomatoes. Rounded it out with a few onions and a head of elephant garlic. Set for the week for about 55 bucks! (already stocked on pastured butter, bacon, lettuce, homemade caesar dressing and other essentials)

Comment

Didn't get too much today...the growing season is early. Just some kale and some soap. We met some nice goats though and next week they will have cheese so we'll try it and probably some yogurt as well.
                    5' 9" 47 YO F
                    PB start June 2, 2012
                    Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)
                    Current deadlift 245 lbs, squat 165 lbs, bench press 135 lbs

PB Journal

Comment

June - it has been so hot in the Midwest everything has been 4-6 weeks early! The ONLY good thing about this ridiculous heat. I move back to Oregon in about a month and I will likely miss the short strawberry season there but it should be about peak growing season on a bunch of stuff of other stuff. Unfortunately, it will probably be way more expensive there.

Comment

We got some lovely goat's milk yogurt and while we were chatting with the farmer, he gave us some herbed cheese, too, since he can't legally sell it. Awesome. Also got some lovely beets and some tender lettuce.
                        5' 9" 47 YO F
                        PB start June 2, 2012
                        Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)
                        Current deadlift 245 lbs, squat 165 lbs, bench press 135 lbs

PB Journal

Comment

We get a CSA box each week - this is our first year. This week's box had:

blueberries, cherries, and strawberries.
                          Radishes, arugula, beets (tiny baby beets!!!) baby bock choi, and a large "head" of lovely leaf lettuce.

We order our grass-fed beef and sugar-free bacon from US Wellness Meats, and pick up the rest of our meat from our local food co-op (grass-fed, pastured, etc.).
                          We get most of our eggs from some friends with a dozen hens that run their backyard... they do eat some organic chicken feed, but mostly eat scraps, bugs, worms, and whatever they can scratch out of the yard. Lots of grasses, some berries bushes, and an apple tree (which they are making better by eating all the worms and bugs!). So, as you can imagine, the eggs are incredible, with the deepest orange yolks!

We are planning on hitting a farmer's market today, mostly for the "ambiance"... and maybe a few goodies.

Comment

Expensive 'haul'

I live in Northern Westchester. Times are hard at the moment in our home and I try to buy at farmer's market but can only buy a little due to Westchester prices. I've tried several markets and prices seem similar. Here's a pic of my 'haul'. $32 worth. I understand the farmers have to make a living so I don't blame them... it's very hard to live cheaply even in the northern most area of Westchester.

1 bunch carrots, handful of green beans, 1 pepper, 5 mushrooms, 3 peaches, 3 miniature plums, 1 apple, 1 head broccoli, 3 small potatoes, 1 shallot, 2 tiny cippola (?) onions, 2 cups arugula, tiny cucumber. And 1 doz pastured chicken eggs.

If anyone is sorta near my area of the Hudson Valley (Yorktown) and knows of better prices within an hours drive, please let me know. Am I wrong to be overwhelmed at the tiny amount of food for $32?

farmers market 'haul'.jpg
                            SW: 243
                            CW: 177
                            Goal: Health

Comment

I buy direct from farms as well as have a CSA membership.
                              I don't have pics of this weeks farm share but here is a recent one csa.jpg I do a nice neighborly exchange of a few dollars for some nice organic raw milk milk.jpg My eggs are purchased from the little general store in town, they come from a local person and are nice yellow yolked eggs.

Comment

Today we found a new game stall. A whole venison heart for a quid, and a pack of liver for another two. And some grouse fillets. Guess it's coming into game season. Mm.

Comment

Working...
                                X