looking for pork rinds? try looking at Aldi

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for pork rinds? try looking at Aldi

Been looking for pork rinds recently but Whole Foods and my local big grocery stores let me down. Then I remembered theres an Aldi near me, so I checked it out today. They have their own brand (called Clancy's) of unflavored pork rinds. The only ingredients are fried pork skins and salt. Perfect, and only 89 cents for a 3.75 oz bag. I believe the spicy flavored one lists soybean oil as an ingredient.

Also picked up some spicy guacamole. The ingredients checked out (no soybean oil) and it was 2.99 for a 14 oz bag. Just tasted it with the pork rinds and they're great. Probably can't beat homemade, but still very good.
    Yes, the real Dirk.

No Aldi here in Sacramento, but I go to Raley's to get my pork rinds made by "El Sabroso"; fried pork skins and salt. Usually on sale for 1.99. Good stuff!

Comment

Yup, Aldi has some amazing finds and pleasant surprises. I actually found 79-cent avocados, in NEW YORK!

Comment

My local grocery chain (Giant) carries Goya chicharrones; ingredients: fried out pork fat with attached skin, salt added. They're more expensive than just the pork rinds, but I don't eat nearly as many of them because the fat leads quickly to satiety. Tastes great too.
        Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

Comment

I just noticed these at Aldi today, but didn't buy them because I wasn't sure what they were fried in. It says fried, but no oil or fat in the ingredient. Not sure if if that's because it's lard, but trying to find out and Google is letting me down so far.
          My Primal Journal - Food, pics, the occasional rant, so...the usual.

I love cooking. It's sexy science that you stuff in your face. - carlh

Comment

I have found that the pork rinds available at the Mexican markets where I live are all natural, just pork and salt, no MSG and other junk. We don't have Aldi's here but do you have any markets that cater to hispanic folks?

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
              I have found that the pork rinds available at the Mexican markets where I live are all natural, just pork and salt, no MSG and other junk. We don't have Aldi's here but do you have any markets that cater to hispanic folks?
              Not that I know of.
              Yes, the real Dirk.

Comment

Exciting news... Since there was no oil/fat listed on the ingredients I was suspicious if the pork rinds were actually friend in some kind of vegetable oil, but just got a response from Aldi to my customer inquiry and "we fry our Pork Rinds in their natural pork fat." Also learned they are produced by Evans Food (based here in Chicago!). Alright, off to buy some now.
                Last edited by DashFire; 06-21-2012, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Wait... I CAN EAT PORK RINDS?!
                  I've got of one them journal thingies. One Night At McCool's

Comment

Sure you can eat them...but why would you want to? Those things look groooooooooooss!

Comment

Originally posted by DashFire View Post
                      Exciting news... Since there was no oil/fat listed on the ingredients I was suspicious if the pork rinds were actually friend in some kind of vegetable oil, but just got a response from Aldi to my customer inquiry and "we fry our Pork Rinds in their natural pork fat." Also learned they are produced by Evans Food (based here in Chicago!). Alright, off to buy some now.
                      Jay's brand of pork rinds are also a good brand fried out in their own fat. To be honest ive never found a bag of pork rinds that listed anything other than pork skin and salt except for flavored ones. Do they even exist? I see people post a lot about rinds from the store being cooled in shitty oils but as I said I've yet to find one.

Comment

You shouldn't normally see them cooked in any thing because they're cooked in their fat.

Comment

Originally posted by BestBetter View Post
                          Sure you can eat them...but why would you want to? Those things look groooooooooooss!
                          Pork rinds are the most delicious snack food there is. The sodium content on a lot of brands is really through the roof though. That entices you to keep eating beyond the point where you should, and with all that extra salt it can make you bloat. So be careful with them. A delicacy for sure but you have to be especially careful about portion control.

Comment

Originally posted by NicMcCool View Post
                            Wait... I CAN EAT PORK RINDS?!
                            Yes - Go hog wild!

Just double check the ingredients to make sure they don't list veggie oil or other crappy stuff (especially the flavored ones). Also, I'm told they can be crushed up and used as breading for fish, chicken, etc. But haven't tried it yet.

Originally posted by BestBetter
                            Hmmm, cheap crunchy salty snack, with the following nutritional profile vs. potato chips, YES PLEASE...

1oz Clancy's (Aldi Brand) Wavy Potato Chips
                            - 10g Fat
                            - 16g Carbs
                            - 2g Protein
                            1oz Clancy's Original Pork Rinds
                            - 10g Fat
                            - 0g Carbs
                            - 16g Protein

JWBooth is spot-on though regarding the sodium, which can be 3-4 times that of potato chips. Which I find surprising, because these didnt actually taste salty at all to me, despite being rather high in sodium.
                            Last edited by DashFire; 06-21-2012, 09:52 PM.

Comment

No Flavor ie Plain the way to go, 2 ingredients

I don't recommend going "hog wild" @ 1 sitting, as the sodium from table salt, as others have stated is high, & that "normal" table salt also includes very small amounts of dextrose as an anti-caking agent, so these factors don't make these the ultimate & very best snack, but it is still pretty high on my list! Bacon is pretty salty too, so when I eat these or other uber-salty foods I just limit or avoid adding any other salt that day. Unless its a sweltering, heat-wavy summer day(s).

I do buy them from the very nearby dollar store, The Dollar Tree for .99/bag the cheapest & easiest close-to-primal snack when I'm out and about. Good to keep in my backpack or my car when hunger hits, but they can be somewhat addictive, so I often refrain from buying more than 1 bag at a time, ha.

Will have to try them as a part of a pie/quiche crust or as a creative breading soon, as I'm trying to greatly reduce my former stand-bys: almond crusts & walnut crusts mixed w/ coconut flakes.

I'm moving into a tighter phase of reducing/eliminating the extra O6 sources in my diet. See how I feel on less O6s. I only eat grass-fed beef, liver & wild fishes but I do tend to go hog wild at times with nuts. And even when I don't go wild with them, they are still in my diet. Almonds, always sprouted overnight, were my thing for a long long time (years), then walnuts were my darlings since I heard they were highest in O3s. Now I'd like to rein in those guys & lose my lil belly roll & put on another 10 lbs of muscle this summer. Just finished a 48 hr water fast a few days ago & I'm ready for a change.

Originally posted by DashFire View Post
                              Yes - Go hog wild!

Just double check the ingredients to make sure they don't list veggie oil or other crappy stuff (especially the flavored ones). Also, I'm told they can be crushed up and used as breading for fish, chicken, etc. But haven't tried it yet.

Hmmm, cheap crunchy salty snack, with the following nutritional profile vs. potato chips, YES PLEASE...

1oz Clancy's (Aldi Brand) Wavy Potato Chips
                              - 10g Fat
                              - 16g Carbs
                              - 2g Protein
                              1oz Clancy's Original Pork Rinds
                              - 10g Fat
                              - 0g Carbs
                              - 16g Protein

JWBooth is spot-on though regarding the sodium, which can be 3-4 times that of potato chips. Which I find surprising, because these didnt actually taste salty at all to me, despite being rather high in sodium.
                              "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
                              "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
                              "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Comment

Working...
                              X