Please help, I need advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ann1217 View Post
    The anxiety is caused by NOT eating. When you starve yourself, your body sends signals to your mind to become fixated on food; that is part of the reason that people with eating disorders constantly think about food. The only way to end this cycle of starving, obsessing over eating, obsessing over not eating, binging, starving, binging, etc. is to just eat. It is very difficult at first, but eventually, when your body realizes that it is no longer in danger of starving, you will stop being so anxious about food. You just need to break the cycle; obviously, easier said than done, but if you don't do it, it will get worse and worse and worse. Break the cycle, Ribbons!
    +1 I know this is true because I've experienced it very recently
    well then

Comment

• Originally posted by Ribbons View Post
      Ugh I'm sorry I keep posting here. I know how annoying I am and I'm sure everyone hates me by now but I just really don't know what to do. I keep crying because of how much I ate and I think it was 420 cals including coffee and I know it's not that much because I had around the same amount yesterday but it feels like more and I'm scared that I'm going to eat again later but I don't want to because I already regret eating today. Ugh I can't stop crying, I don't know why it's so much worse today.
      I'm new around here (so beware of my advice) but I have to say it -- IF YOU WANT TO COUNT CALORIES, THEN COUNT THEM! Why care what others think? All I ask is that you try to be realistic about it (and not anal and unhealthy)

I count calories at Free Diet Plans at SparkPeople because the PB way of eating absolutely amazes me. I love to see the high-calorie counts with high fat over a week's time and then to see the scale show weight loss. It's the first time in my life that I've lost weight without being hungry.

Can I do PB without tracking what I eat? Sure I can, but I love data, facts, and I sit in front of the computer all day at works. Tracking food is something FUN for me to analyze over the long run. It helps me make better food choices too.

As I lose weight, I use this calculator to suggest how many calories I should eat (and I don't worry about it DAILY), I just average out the week (eat by hunger, then average the numbers to see how I do because some days, I'm more hungry than other days). Daily doesn't matter -- it's the long-run that counts.

Quit crying and take charge of your life. The PB way of eating can help you do that.

HAPPY CALORIE-COUNTING (at least get realistic with the number of calories your body needs to live and breathe!)

Good luck

CHECK OUT REAL CALORIES:
      Calculate Your Nutrient Intake on Any Type of Low Carb Diet

PS Sometimes anxiety can be caused by a feeling "of not doing well enough." A realistic calorie-count helps with that and will at least let me enjoy the food I DO EAT! Everyone is different.
      Last edited by Chatty; 06-04-2012, 01:12 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chatty View Post
        I'm new around here (so beware of my advice) but I have to say it -- IF YOU WANT TO COUNT CALORIES, THEN COUNT THEM! Why care what others think? All I ask is that you try to be realistic about it (and not anal and unhealthy)

I count calories at Free Diet Plans at SparkPeople because the PB way of eating absolutely amazes me. I love to see the high-calorie counts with high fat over a week's time and then to see the scale show weight loss. It's the first time in my life that I've lost weight without being hungry.

As I lose weight, I use this calculator to suggest how many calories I should eat (and I don't worry about it DAILY), I just average out the week (eat by hunger, then average the numbers to see how I do because some days, I'm more hungry than other days). Daily doesn't matter -- it's the long-run that counts.

Quit crying and take charge of your life. The PB way of eating can help you do that.

HAPPY CALORIE-COUNTING (at least get realistic with the number of calories your body needs to live and breathe!)

Good luck

CHECK OUT REAL CALORIES:

PS Sometimes anxiety can be caused by a feeling "of not doing well enough." A realistic calorie-count helps with that and will at least let me enjoy the food I DO EAT! Everyone is different.
        I think those calorie calculators are worthless. They all say I dhould eat around 2800 calories a day to maintain weight when I am "extremely active". Yet I am moderately active and when I eat 2800 calories I lose weight very fast. I got down to 123 lbs at 6'1" eating 3000 cals a day. Now I eat more than 5000 because I want to gain weight. And it isn't even going very fast. And it's double the amount I am "adviced" to eat. I'm saying everybody is a little different
        well then

Comment

• Originally posted by Gadsie View Post
          I think those calorie calculators are worthless. They all say I dhould eat around 2800 calories a day to maintain weight when I am "extremely active". Yet I am moderately active and when I eat 2800 calories I lose weight very fast. I got down to 123 lbs at 6'1" eating 3000 cals a day. Now I eat more than 5000 because I want to gain weight. And it isn't even going very fast. And it's double the amount I am "adviced" to eat. I'm saying everybody is a little different
          Exactly -- "everyone is different" -- and I'm tired of everyone telling me to "do as they do."
          Guess being 60 years old is part of it too!

Comment

• Please don't start using an online calorie calculator, Ribbons. As Gadsie says, they are worthless. Anything that can discourage you from calorie counting is a good thing, because at the moment calorie counting is making you ill. Chatty is (presumably) a 60 year old post-menopausal woman, who is (presumably) already overweight. What works for her is not going to work for you at 17. Your requirements are totally different. Again, look at Gadsie's example. He's got himself out of the situation you are in by eating much more - he is eating 5000 calories a day. In fact, I'd probably go so far as to say that paleo eating when measured in calories always ends up as a higher number just to stand still. I don't know why, but it seems to be common. Probably because calories don't really mean anything.

Originally posted by Ribbons View Post
            [...]I just really don't know what to do. I keep crying because of how much I ate and I think it was 420 cals including coffee and I know it's not that much because I had around the same amount yesterday but it feels like more and I'm scared that I'm going to eat again later but I don't want to because I already regret eating today. Ugh I can't stop crying, I don't know why it's so much worse today.
            I think you need like a nice book to read, to get your mind of dieting and weight. I think you might enjoy "Gone with the Wind" by Margaret Mitchell. I don't mean the film. That was made later and doesn't have the detail or depth that the book has. Most people have seen the film, but that is no preparation for the book. The heroine is about your age and has this idyllic upbringing and her family are kind to their slaves. But the war comes and overturns everything. It's very exciting. I don't know if it is out of copyright or not, but there are certainly PDFs floating around on bittorent and such like. Do have something to eat first though, as it is impossible to read on an empty stomach.

Oh yeah, the crying. That's from not eating enough. But you knew that already. Have something to eat (as much as you can manage) and read a nice book instead.

If you still feel bad later today you must go to the doctor. Probably a good idea just to go even if you are feeling better.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxide View Post
              +1 billp. Ribbons, you don't need to fear that your parents will find out. THEY ALREADY KNOW!!
              My mum has noticed that I'm eating less (my dad works till late usually) but she doesn't seem to mind as much as she used to, probably because I've had phases like this before and they've only lasted a few days.

Originally posted by billp View Post
              This is important, Ribbons. The stakes are high. A little bit of embarrassment now is nothing in the wider scheme of things, compared to the benefits of honesty, maturity and seeking help from your nearest and dearest. Your parents love you - they will help you.
              If I told them they wouldn't understand and they'd probably lecture me on "starvation mode" or make me go to the doctor.

Originally posted by Ann1217 View Post
              The anxiety is caused by NOT eating. When you starve yourself, your body sends signals to your mind to become fixated on food; that is part of the reason that people with eating disorders constantly think about food. The only way to end this cycle of starving, obsessing over eating, obsessing over not eating, binging, starving, binging, etc. is to just eat. It is very difficult at first, but eventually, when your body realizes that it is no longer in danger of starving, you will stop being so anxious about food. You just need to break the cycle; obviously, easier said than done, but if you don't do it, it will get worse and worse and worse. Break the cycle, Ribbons!
              I can't; I'm scared that if I start eating more then I'll stop caring about how much I eat and even what I eat and I'll put on weight.

Originally posted by Chatty View Post

Can I do PB without tracking what I eat? Sure I can, but I love data, facts, and I sit in front of the computer all day at works. Tracking food is something FUN for me to analyze over the long run. It helps me make better food choices too.

Good luck

CHECK OUT REAL CALORIES:

Thanks but if I purposely count calories I get obsessed with the number and nothing else matters so I end up aiming for the lowest number I can, so I stop eating and plan to do lots of exercise but then I don't have the energy to exercise so I hate myself even more. I'm obviously not a very balanced and stable person. It's better that I don't try to count calories or if I do I just estimate it in my head because at least if i know it's not exact then I don't have the pressure of weighing everything and getting everything right.

Originally posted by billp View Post
              Please don't start using an online calorie calculator, Ribbons. As Gadsie says, they are worthless. Anything that can discourage you from calorie counting is a good thing, because at the moment calorie counting is making you ill. Chatty is (presumably) a 60 year old post-menopausal woman, who is (presumably) already overweight. What works for her is not going to work for you at 17. Your requirements are totally different. Again, look at Gadsie's example. He's got himself out of the situation you are in by eating much more - he is eating 5000 calories a day. In fact, I'd probably go so far as to say that paleo eating when measured in calories always ends up as a higher number just to stand still. I don't know why, but it seems to be common. Probably because calories don't really mean anything.
              Maybe because paleo's generally lower carb than CW and people on low carb diets tend to be able to eat more without putting on weight for some reason.

I think you need like a nice book to read, to get your mind of dieting and weight. I think you might enjoy "Gone with the Wind" by Margaret Mitchell. I don't mean the film. That was made later and doesn't have the detail or depth that the book has. Most people have seen the film, but that is no preparation for the book. The heroine is about your age and has this idyllic upbringing and her family are kind to their slaves. But the war comes and overturns everything. It's very exciting. I don't know if it is out of copyright or not, but there are certainly PDFs floating around on bittorent and such like. Do have something to eat first though, as it is impossible to read on an empty stomach.

Oh yeah, the crying. That's from not eating enough. But you knew that already. Have something to eat (as much as you can manage) and read a nice book instead.

If you still feel bad later today you must go to the doctor. Probably a good idea just to go even if you are feeling better.
              Unfortunately I don't have time to read much at the moment because of school but thanks for the suggestion, I'll read it in a few weeks. Do you mean "not eating enough" as in not enough fat or not enough in general? Because I try to eat enough fat everyday so I can take a multivitamin in case I'm deficient in anything.

I'm still hesitant about going to a doctor. I know this sounds stupid but I don't know if I can cope with being weighed. And also I'm ok today. I even bought macadamias (which was a bad idea because now I'm scared that I'm going to eat them). I haven't eaten anything today but I sort of want to but I know I'll regret it if I do, especially since yesterday I ate like 1100 calories(!) because after dinner I had nuts and yoghurt. So if I eat I might eat too much. Or the wrong foods. And if the part of me that tells me not to eat isn't working then I could easily make the wrong choices.

Originally posted by pererlale
              Thing is, you don't actually need to loose weight. At your height, your weight is fine, and there are many women at your height/weight who look great.
              I'm not one of them. I have a huge amount of fat that I want/need to get rid of.

Comment

My mum has noticed that I'm eating less (my dad works till late usually) but she doesn't seem to mind as much as she used to, probably because I've had phases like this before and they've only lasted a few days.
                She is probably treading very carefully because she is so worried. It is not easy handling these things. I expect she is paying pretty careful attention and you parents are talking about it a lot. It's what parents do.
                If I told them they wouldn't understand and they'd probably lecture me on "starvation mode" or make me go to the doctor.
                Starvation mode is real. You are in it now. They would be failing in their duty to you if they didn't make you go to the doctor.
                I can't; I'm scared that if I start eating more then I'll stop caring about how much I eat and even what I eat and I'll put on weight.
                I have been eating as much as I like of meat, fat and veg for 9 months now. All that time I have lost fat. I am not wearing clothes that I bought when I was a student but could not wear because even by then my waist and stomach was too large for what I thought was my size. Now these clothes are loose on me. It is the wheat in bread and pasta that causes insidious fat gain, not food in general. Me, and lots of other people on this forum are all eating as much as they like and not getting fat.
                Thanks but if I purposely count calories I get obsessed with the number and nothing else matters so I end up aiming for the lowest number I can, so I stop eating and plan to do lots of exercise but then I don't have the energy to exercise so I hate myself even more. I'm obviously not a very balanced and stable person. It's better that I don't try to count calories or if I do I just estimate it in my head because at least if i know it's not exact then I don't have the pressure of weighing everything and getting everything right.
                Well done! Exactly right! You have the right way in you! YOu just need to eat more so you feel better and have a clear head.
                Unfortunately I don't have time to read much at the moment because of school but thanks for the suggestion, I'll read it in a few weeks. Do you mean "not eating enough" as in not enough fat or not enough in general? Because I try to eat enough fat everyday so I can take a multivitamin in case I'm deficient in anything.
                I mean not enough in general, as well as not enough fat. I wouldn't worry about the school stuff. In the wider scheme of things it doesn't make much difference anyway. In your current staving state you will not be able to do your exams effectively anyway, nor revise properly. If I was your doctor I would immediately sign you off sick and out of school for a month and insist that you took the exams later or next year.
                I'm still hesitant about going to a doctor. I know this sounds stupid but I don't know if I can cope with being weighed. And also I'm ok today. I even bought macadamias (which was a bad idea because now I'm scared that I'm going to eat them). I haven't eaten anything today but I sort of want to but I know I'll regret it if I do, especially since yesterday I ate like 1100 calories(!) because after dinner I had nuts and yoghurt. So if I eat I might eat too much. Or the wrong foods. And if the part of me that tells me not to eat isn't working then I could easily make the wrong choices.
                There are no wrong choices when you are starving, except choosing not to eat. 1100 calories is too little to live on. It will be impossible for you to eat too much for weeks now, after this starved episode.

Another good reason to go to the doctor is it gets you off the hook about the exams, most likely. You will be able to do them later in the year when you are feeling better and will perform better.
                I'm not one of them. I have a huge amount of fat that I want/need to get rid of.
                Probably not. Women and different from men, in that they need a higher percentage of body fat. Anyway, you won't lose unwanted fat by starving - your body will conserve fat and burn muscle instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by billp View Post
                  She is probably treading very carefully because she is so worried. It is not easy handling these things. I expect she is paying pretty careful attention and you parents are talking about it a lot. It's what parents do.
                  Nah she's not really like that, she'd usually say something to me straight away. But she also knows that I fast most days and that I'm trying to just eat healthy food so it doesn't look that strange if I skip a meal or something.

Starvation mode is real. You are in it now. They would be failing in their duty to you if they didn't make you go to the doctor.
                  I thought you had to be at a very low body weight though... And anyway if I was in starvation mode I'd be out f it now because of the amount of calories I had yesterday.

I have been eating as much as I like of meat, fat and veg for 9 months now. All that time I have lost fat. I am not wearing clothes that I bought when I was a student but could not wear because even by then my waist and stomach was too large for what I thought was my size. Now these clothes are loose on me. It is the wheat in bread and pasta that causes insidious fat gain, not food in general. Me, and lots of other people on this forum are all eating as much as they like and not getting fat.
                  Yeah I know that I lose weight when I'm not eating grains and sugar and stuff but is there something in wheat that makes you put on more weight than other carbs like rice and starchy vegetables?
                  I don't know why but I feel like I'm failing when I eat or when I'm full, even though obviously not all food is fattening.
                  Well done! Exactly right! You have the right way in you! YOu just need to eat more so you feel better and have a clear head.
                  I mean not enough in general, as well as not enough fat. I wouldn't worry about the school stuff. In the wider scheme of things it doesn't make much difference anyway. In your current staving state you will not be able to do your exams effectively anyway, nor revise properly. If I was your doctor I would immediately sign you off sick and out of school for a month and insist that you took the exams later or next year.

There are no wrong choices when you are starving, except choosing not to eat. 1100 calories is too little to live on. It will be impossible for you to eat too much for weeks now, after this starved episode.

Another good reason to go to the doctor is it gets you off the hook about the exams, most likely. You will be able to do them later in the year when you are feeling better and will perform better.
                  Probably not. Women and different from men, in that they need a higher percentage of body fat. Anyway, you won't lose unwanted fat by starving - your body will conserve fat and burn muscle instead.
                  Wow, no, there's no way I can do the exams later. I'd have to fail year 12 which isn't necessary since I'm not that bad. I wonder if my "eating disorder" is my way of procrastinating because I can't cope well with the stress of school.

Comment

• OMG. I ate like 2000 calories today. I can't even describe how much I hate myself right now. I'm seriously panicking, I tried to throw up but I couldn't do it, I don't know what to do. I don't remember the last time I felt this depressed. You all told me to eat but this is what happens when I eat now. I can't do this anymore.

Comment

• Then go to the hospital and ask for help.

Comment

• Originally posted by zoebird View Post
                        Then go to the hospital and ask for help.
                        I don't want help anymore. I want to die.

Comment

• Which means you need help. Go to the hospital and get it.

Comment

I don't want help anymore. I want to die.
                            I'm not good with these things, I hope somebody can talk you out of these thoughts as quickly as possible, just hang in there. I just want you to know that I was in the same situation a couple of times, and I'm so much better now. It really can be done.
                            Go for a walk
                            well then

Comment

• I can't go anywhere. It's 9pm and my parents are home.

Comment

• Then go to your parents, tell them you want to die, and ask them to take you to the hospital.

Comment

Working...
                                X