Macadamia: How much is too much?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Macadamia: How much is too much?

I can't stop eating Macadmia nuts and I don't really know how much is too much. I have been having them as a snack (about 1oz. worth) a couple of times a day and they are soooo good that I can't help sneaking some in outside of that and end up having maybe 4oz. a day.

Even with what I feel is excessive Macadmia consumption, I've dropped a bunch of weight since going primal. I went from 260lbs to now around 215lbs (as of yesterday) in about 5 months, although weight is now dropping at a snails pace.

Is this too much Macadmia? Or should I feel confortable eaching this much regularly?

I've eaten 300 - 400 grams in one go before and lived to tell the tale.

Macs' and peanut butter...can't have them in the house.

Comment

I can't have macadamia/cashew butter blend in the house. That's too good! The only negative to eating too many of these nuts would be the fat imbalance. Otherwise, they are a healthy snack in moderation.

Comment

As long as it is not inhibiting you from eating other foods (providing different macro/micro nutrients) you are fine. It may be slowing your weight-loss as well. Nuts and nut butters seem to be very addictive to people, myself included. I have those snack-sized ziplocks and measure out nuts before I eat them and that's it for the day.

Comment

1/4 lb of macadamias per day is too much if you are trying to lose weight. Nuts and dairy are not great foods when losing weight - low satiety, huge calories.
          If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Macadamias have gone to about $1 per ounce here, and that's a little tough for my food budget. I love them, though. Ate them frequently when I first started eating primal/paleo/ancestral, and they helped get me through snack-y times (plus were cheaper). Just dial it back a little.

Comment

primalmontana, the ziplock sounds like a good idea.

Comment

with regards to macadamia nuts, 'too much' is when you stop losing or starting gaining weight, assuming your goal is weightloss. they're basically pure monounsaturated fat, so there's no real 'too much' limit, like certain toxins.

200 calories an ounce though - food for thought... eventually, you'll have to watch how much you take in.

Comment

I read over at Robb Wolff's site that if you're trying to lose weight you should only eat 1-2oz/nuts daily. As well as only 1 fruit. For now, I'm trying to follow that.
                  ~Amanda
                  My Primal Journal

Comment

When you start shitting whole macadamia nuts, you should probably cut back.
                    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Too much is also when the give you horrible gas and come out looking the same as they went in. Been there, done that. I limit my consumption to about 5 at a time or so.
                      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I just can't keep mac nuts in the house and as jakey pointed out 200 cal/oz is a lot. If the OP eats 4oz, that's 800 calories. The problem with "munchie" calories like this is that they don't seem to have any effect on my hunger levels for a real meal. They just add extra calorie on top of what I would eat anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by tfarny View Post
                          1/4 lb of macadamias per day is too much if you are trying to lose weight. Nuts and dairy are not great foods when losing weight - low satiety, huge calories.
                          What if I keep my calories and macronutrients in check though? In that light, macadamias shouldn't contribute to weight gain, right?

I ask because I eat about a 1/2 cup of macadamia a nuts per day, usually to replace lunch (which is a very busy time of day for me). I get all of my animal protein and vegetables throughout the rest of the day, and keep my calories around 1200. I also cut out 1/2 an avocado from the rest of my day to compensate for the addition of the macadamias.

Do you think I will see myself gaining fat as a result?

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                            I just can't keep mac nuts in the house and as jakey pointed out 200 cal/oz is a lot. If the OP eats 4oz, that's 800 calories. The problem with "munchie" calories like this is that they don't seem to have any effect on my hunger levels for a real meal. They just add extra calorie on top of what I would eat anyway.
                            When I eat half a pound of nuts in the afternoon, I skip dinner...I think they contribute plenty of satiety...later on!
                            My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Agreed! I feel they're healthy primal calories at the end of the day, as long as they're added in place of -- not on TOP of -- something else! So if I eat some, it'll be instead of an avocado or something.

Comment

Working...
                              X