No announcement yet.

Macadamia: How much is too much?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bear in mind macadamia nuts are composed of almost all fat - they are the oiliest commonly eaten nut. If you are eating a lot, you are going to slow your fat loss to a "snail's pace" because you are consuming lots of oil, and you must burn through all that dietary fat before you can tap into your fat stores. IMO, cut way back on macadamia nuts and as long as you aren't replacing those calories, the weight will start pouring off. But they're not necessarily unhealthy. People on this forum do all sorts of crazy things like drink straight heavy cream and blend sticks of butter into their coffee, so your vice is moderate to say the least! You have to weigh your options - do you like the nuts more than losing the weight? Take your pick and that's your answer.

If you feel the need to munch, simply switching to a drier, less fatty nut like a hazelnut would cut calories by about 25% given the same quantity. Though I would focus on eliminating them altogether. If you don't buy them, you can't eat them. The fact that they're outrageously expensive and would translate into lots of savings is another incentive to quit.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 10-18-2012, 11:53 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Yep, macadamia nuts (well nuts in general) are excellent for you. Minerals not as easy to come by eating Primal such as magnesium are high on the list of their attributes. They also have a superb nutritional and macro profile with complete proteins, good FA profile, and some carbs. Some people needing to lose weight need to watch how many they pile in, but they are a whole food and as such as self limiting as say....fruit. I shoot for at least several ounces of a variety of nuts in a day. Heck my salad has about 4 oz on it alone.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
        Bear in mind macadamia nuts are composed of almost all fat - they are the oiliest commonly eaten nut. If you are eating a lot, you are going to slow your fat loss to a "snail's pace" because you are consuming lots of oil, and you must burn through all that dietary fat before you can tap into your fat stores. IMO, cut way back on macadamia nuts and as long as you aren't replacing those calories, the weight will start pouring off. But they're not necessarily unhealthy. People on this forum do all sorts of crazy things like drink straight heavy cream and blend sticks of butter into their coffee, so your vice is moderate to say the least! You have to weigh your options - do you like the nuts more than losing the weight? Take your pick and that's your answer.

If you feel the need to munch, simply switching to a drier, less fatty nut like a hazelnut would cut calories by about 25% given the same quantity. Though I would focus on eliminating them altogether. If you don't buy them, you can't eat them. The fact that they're outrageously expensive and would translate into lots of savings is another incentive to quit.
        That makes sense. Thanks for your input. I actually am at a healthy weight though, so I'm not trying to lose, and macadamias help me keep my calories low anyway. How are eating them any different from eating fat from meat? That's essentially what I'm doing... instead of a few oz of grass fed beef for lunch, I'm having about the same amount of fat, but in the form of macadamias. Does this change things?

Comment

Originally posted by PrimalStudent View Post
          That makes sense. Thanks for your input. I actually am at a healthy weight though, so I'm not trying to lose, and macadamias help me keep my calories low anyway. How are eating them any different from eating fat from meat? That's essentially what I'm doing... instead of a few oz of grass fed beef for lunch, I'm having about the same amount of fat, but in the form of macadamias. Does this change things?
          I don't think so. If you eat meat otherwise, then you're getting the nutrients you need from both worlds.
          My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Working...
          X