carb count

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carb count

Mark says that between 50-100 carbs is the sweet spot for weight loss. I usually fall at around 80 grams a day with no problems. But I am only eating between 1200-1300 calories a day. Does that mean that I should be eating less carbs? Is there a certain percent of my daily intake that should be carbs? I am around 25%carb 20%protein 55%fat and looking to lose weight and gain a little muscle.

And please don't tell me I need to eat more! For my weight and height its a recommended amount to lose a pound a week and I never feel deprived.

Thanks everyone!

I don't know how to "do the math" and found this calculator helpful:

Calculate Your Nutrient Intake on Any Type of Low Carb Diet

Comment

you are absolutely fine!

Comment

Are you lifting weights?
        Danni

Comment

Yes. Once or twice a week. But I'm a little girl and just started lifting. I have an extra protein shake on those days that has some carbs and whey protein.

Comment

That calculator says that I would need to eat less then 900 calories a day to lose a pound a week! I'm pretty sure that's starvation!

Comment

Yes, 900 cals is starvation, and likely to cause muscle loss, not gain.

As you want to gain muscle, then don't cut carbs any further. See how it goes ... and adjust as necessary.

You need to fool your body that it's not in an overall calorific deficit in order to gain muscle while losing fat, thus weight loss will be slower than if you just aim to lose fat.

It might be worth considering focusing first on gaining the muscle, with little or no fat loss, and then on losing the fat. Depends how much fat you have to lose.
              F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by ninababie2 View Post
                I never feel deprived.
                Well, that's all right then.

However, whoever recommends some set calorie count as necessary to "lose a pound a week" simply hasn't a clue what he or she is tailing about. Back in the 1950s -- yes, that long ago -- Kekwick and Pawan at the Middlesex Hospital showed that patients would lose weight on a 1000 kcal diet that was 90% fat but would not on a 90% carbohydrate diet with the same calorific value.

At the moment since you're counting carbohydrate and counting calories you're trying to run two systems in tandem -- one that works and one that's badly broken.

Stick to Mark's figures for carbohydrate intake, but frankly tracking how many "calories" you eat overall is simply unnecessary. Save yourself the labor of counting yet something else and just eat as much as you need. Eat as much as feels comfortable without either forcing down more than you want or letting yourself feel hungry.

Comment

If you want to lose fat and build muscle, eat less fat and more protein. That's a pretty low protein diet. Shoot for at least 1g/lb of lean body weight a day, but feel free to eat up to 2g/lb. The more active you are, the more protein IMO.
                  Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Paleo bunny- how exactly do I fool my body?
                    Lewis- I have a food addiction. I don't stop at full so tracking my food keeps me healthy and sane!
                    Choco- I get a good amount of protein. Not quite .1 but I'm also not super active:lifting right now

Comment

If you are averaging 1250 calories a day @ 20% protein, that is 62.5g of protein a day. That is in my opinion an abysmal amount of protein amounting to slightly more than half a pound of meat a day. Yesterday post workout, I got about 175g of protein in a single meal and I'm a mere 143lb male. Now, I'm not expecting you to sit down and eat a pound and a half of steak and a quart of yogurt in a sitting like I do, but if your goal is to build some muscle while losing fat, you should be taking in at least 100g of protein a day (it's only a pound of meat a day, which really isn't much over the course of 3 meals). Protein is the only macronutrient with a metabolic advantage worth mentioning, so the more calories in protein you ingest, generally the more fat you'll lose in a caloric deficit (and the more muscle you'll put on in a caloric surplus).
                      Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

I agree with Choco - you need more protein merely to preserve muscle on a calorific deficit.

To fool your body that you're not in calorific deficit and gain muscle you need to cycle calories in over calories out. Don't be in deficit more than 2 or 3 days a week, and vary the deficit. Eat a high carb, high protein meal followin strength-training workouts, with some dairy if you can tolerate it.

Check out the LeanGains protocol.
                        Last edited by paleo-bunny; 05-22-2012, 01:59 PM. Reason: typo
                        F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Mark says .7 per pound of lean mass is okay...and that is 65 for me. I will try to eat a little more though. It just seemed to me like fat was the goal. Does anyone hAve a ratio they strive for? That would be the most helpful

Comment

If I have a milk chocolate chip I am sick for a week! No dairy for me. But I'll try to change it up. I love consistency so it will be difficult

Comment

Originally posted by ninababie2 View Post
                              Mark says .7 per pound of lean mass is okay...and that is 65 for me. I will try to eat a little more though. It just seemed to me like fat was the goal. Does anyone hAve a ratio they strive for? That would be the most helpful
                              I believe that's for maintenance, not for gaining.

If you eat very low carb then protein will be squandered on gluconeogenesis.

ETA: not sure whether Mark assumes how much protein will be wasted on gluconeogenesis. However, since he doesn't make that explicit and he clearly indicates that glucose intake should be increased in line with activity, I can only conclude that he hasn't taken that into account in his protein intake guidelines.
                              Last edited by paleo-bunny; 05-22-2012, 02:08 PM. Reason: ETA

Comment

Working...
                              X