Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendations for a Type 2 Diabetic considering primal eating?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you, @Ingvildr and @TorMag!

@Ingvildr: I'm pretty sure his insulin is long-acting. He took it once a day for years and started twice a day maybe 5 years ago. This would mean he's not quite so aware of the carb count and it's relationship to insulin dosage. At least that's what I assume. He already restricts his carb intake, but not enough, IMHO, especially since he's still eating bread and pasta. But he's also restricting fat intake, which means he feels hungry and deprived all the time. He has often told me things like, "well, I guess I've gotten used to feeling hungry all the time." No wonder his energy levels are so low! Granted, he's in his late 70s, but I refuse to believe that age alone explains it. He's intrigued by the idea that strictly reducing carbs will help his diabetes, and I think he's just dying for permission to eat more satisfying meals and stop feeling hungry 24/7!
    Going slowly seems best. Plus, my parents are allergic to the idea of wasting food/money (children of the aftermath of the Great Depression), so even if they get on board with this, I'm sure they'll use up their pasta and rice stores anyway, just in smaller portions over more time.

@TorMag: Maybe your blood sugar levels went up from getting off the insulin, then started coming down due to dietary changes?

Comment

Yes, my blood sugars going up was because I went off of insulin and they have been coming down because of dietary and exercise changes. I just want you to know, that Paleo/Primal is not a magic bullet for EVERY type II diabectic. It has taken a lot of hard work on my part and I am not out of the woods yet. You asked in your original post for true results from diabetics and I am giving you mine. I sure wish just being primal would have "cured" me of diabetes, but it has not. Maybe if I can lose another 70 lbs I will be free.....
      I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
      My Journal

Comment

Thank you for sharing your experience, and good luck to you!

Comment

Working...
        X