Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pregnant while Primal/Paleo - who else has done it? Weight gain issues?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm 28w. Wasn't primal at all during the first and 2nd portion of my pregnancy b/c I had a pretty bad aversion to meat and wanted every kind of junk food out there. I did start off overweight as well, but even eating all of the junk, I haven't gained much at all.
    Welp, I should've known it was going to happen w/ my previous pre-preg health issues, but was diagnosed with GD. Went back to primal w/ extra carbs (fruit & some dairy) and I've been losing weight since.

Anyway, blahblahblah..... if your baby is gaining weight as it should, then I wouldn't worry.
    DD born August 2012
    TTC #2
    SW: 1/20/14- 212.4
    CW: 2/21/14- 202.6 (9.8 loss)
    Goal: Short term, get below 200 and get pregnant. Long term, get to 120-130
    Mini goal, get in to a size 12.

My boring uneventful journal for your viewing pleasure

Comment

Sounds like you are doing great...it's awesome that you're able to enjoy this time now

I'm no professional...6 months pregnant with baby #1...but my midwife has been great for topics like this. I was really worried at first, because I'd lost 10 lbs. in the first trimester from being so sick every day. No matter what I ate, nothing was staying down! The way she assured me was saying 'the baby is designed to survive'...and that between getting the prenatal vitamins and draining me of anything else she needed, that the kid was going to turn out just fine.
      It sounds like you are getting plenty of nutrients - so I wouldn't worry about the weight either. Just think, no 'dropping the baby weight' work for you to do afterwards...perfect!

I have gained back my 10 pound loss as of a couple weeks ago...but other than that, nothing. Now that I'm able to keep more than just bread in my stomach (totally hit up the Panera bagels as well!), I'm trying to focus on getting back to just eating lots of fruit and veg. For some reason I still have trouble keeping most protein down...
      "Imagine all the people, living life in peace..."

"Nothing will work unless you do."

Comment

i did it!
        i had my baby 4 weeks ago, she is perfect.
        i had lost all baby weight 2 weeks ago, which was only 15-20lbs total.
        i felt great. a little stomachy through the first trimester, and skated through the rest of the pregnancy. my only complaint was swollen ankles, but i work on my fee a lot.
        i am so thankful i stuck with primal throughout my pregnancy. it was a total breeze.
        the only thing that really wasn't a breeze? everyone telling me that i was "too thin" to be pregnant. lots of old ladies telling me that i would have a sick baby if i didn't gain more weight. i ate all the time, though, just lots of primal goodies! i was never hungry, i was always satisfied. i never deprived myself. i had lots of sweet potatoes, fruit, and nuts. i didn't worry about carbs, either. i ate some primal home made treats, like muffins or almond butter cookies if i really wanted them.
        now 4 weeks postpartum, i look great and feel great.
        enjoy the rest of your pregnancy!

Comment

Awesomesauce and congratulations, Cookie.
          Steph
          My Primal Meanderings

Comment

Wanted to update - I had my monthly midwife appointment and gained 5 lbs while eating 100% primal .
            Teacher and Homeschooler
            One husband of 9 years,
            Two kids (6 & 3)
            Pregnant with #3, due this summer

Going primal resolved my anxiety symptoms!!!

Comment

Originally posted by FrankiG View Post
              Wanted to update - I had my monthly midwife appointment and gained 5 lbs while eating 100% primal .
              But Franki!!!! How can you possibly be gaining weight without hearth-healthy whole grains???/?/?/?/????

Heh.
              Steph
              My Primal Meanderings

Comment

I'm 10 weeks pregnant, and hoping the morning sickness dies down a bit so I can jump back on the Paleo wagon (though I willeat Greek yogurt).
                Unfortunitley I've been pretty bad about my eating. Basically what I crave... I eat in hopes I won't upset my stomach. Backfires regularly lol.

Comment

congratulations, cookie! WTG and enjoy that baby!

for the rest, also congrats on your various progresses, as it sounds like things are going well.

for morning sickness, usually starch helps. try rice or potatoes, and see if you can have them in the AM. i found that beneficial.

Comment

The best part of the appointment was chatting with the midwives all about paleo/primal eating and how great it is. I even passed on some cookbook titles and websites like this one .
                    Teacher and Homeschooler
                    One husband of 9 years,
                    Two kids (6 & 3)
                    Pregnant with #3, due this summer

Going primal resolved my anxiety symptoms!!!

Comment

My first appointment is set for end of June. Day before my birthday.
                      Steph
                      My Primal Meanderings

Comment

Working...
                      X