Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After 35 years as a vegetarian, I'm going to try Primal. Help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After 35 years as a vegetarian, I'm going to try Primal. Help!

Hi everyone, I'm a brand new member here, and found this site through my husband. I've been reading it for weeks, actually, and just decided to join today. I've seen what 'going primal' has done for my husband's health and his weight, and so here I am, considering whether or not I can try this.

I became a vegetarian at 16 because of squeamishness, and I just felt bad for animals. Now, I'm 51. Not overweight, good health, outstanding cholesterol levels, great blood pressure. ...but, after seeing the changes in my husband, I just think maybe I could do better. I want to be feel stronger. And I will freely admit, turning 50 does something to a person I want to make the most out of the next decades I've got.

Anyway, if anyone has any advice, or has been where I am now and made the transition themselves, I'd love to hear your experience. This is scary, but I'm thinking it will be good for me. Thanks for any words anyone has to offer!
    Last edited by ForensicArtist; 05-19-2012, 07:10 AM.
    Ask a Forensic Artist

"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." ~Ronald Reagan

Fish and bacon are good gateway meats. Although when I gave up my 10 years of vegetarian eating the first meat I went for was steak, barbecued tri-tip to be exact.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

The first thing I'd say is, "Welcome. Welcome to the rest of your life." I wasn't vegetarian but I had other nutritional notions to let go of. In my experience, the emotional concepts are a lot harder to deal with than the rational ones. Emotionally, I was upside down for a while, because I had "known" for years I should do "a, b, c" and now I was violating every one of those rules. The rational facts which showed the rules were bogus was not as powerful - at first - as the emotion of wanting to do what I thought was the right thing.

However, patience with myself, persistence in reminding my emotional self of why I was making the changes and what they could and would do for me in the long run was critical. YMMV of course - but do be prepared to slip occasionally. It happens to all of us - what matters is what you do after that. I can't change the past. But I do determine what happens now, and what comes next.

And we're always here.

Comment

Free your Mind, and your Grok will follow:-)
        Free your mind, and your Grok will follow!

Comment

Originally posted by SoccerGrok View Post
          Free your Mind, and your Grok will follow:-)
          Thanks also for the previous replies. I haven't even tried anything yet, just thinking about it gets me a bit emotional! I've decided that I will only ever do farm-raised, though. And I was never the type of vegetarian that ate fake meat, so getting used to the taste will be a challenge. My sweetheart of a hubby is going to make me some garlic chicken tonight. I LOVE garlic!
          Ask a Forensic Artist

"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." ~Ronald Reagan

Comment

Welcome! A lot of us were vegetarian for years.

Comment

My advice would be:
              Read the book and follow it. Don't tweak too quickly. Get plenty of sleep!
              Also:
              Read the threads if you have questions, but don't ask your own questions at first, because a) your question has almost certainly already been asked, and the advice is already waiting there for you, and b) sometimes people can get a little snarky in their responses, and when you are a beginner, you may not need that coming your way.
              And:
              Start a journal. On paper or on the journal thread. Keeping track of what you are doing is helpful in so many ways.
              Good luck to you!

Comment

Hello from a two-week old omnivore
                I admit that eating meat again after 14 years of veggie/veganism felt strange. I really struggled with it emotionally for the first few days but it does get easier. The strong grounded "buzz" of wellbeing I felt coursing through my body after a nice steak confirmed that this is the right path for me.
                Make peace with the fact that if you were a cow's natural food he would eat you in a heartbeat
                It's ok to be squeamish, I have a feeling that will get better for us with some time.
                If I can give advice as a newbie, I'd say make sure you get your fibrous veggies and be open to taking digestive enzymes for a little while. Meat digests very differently and it can be a little challenging for the first bit to get used to. Enzymes with meals and fiber will go a long way.

Comment

Many years ago I was vegetarian for a few years. The thing that I had the hardest time readjusting to was chicken; it made me nauseous.
                  When eating red meat, combine it with green leafy veggies rather than starchy veggies, at least for a while. If you don't have trouble digesting it, then you can combine it with "heavier" food like sweet potatoes and avocado.

Comment

As Mark and others have stated, you can be primal and still be a vegetarian. Just means lots of eggs and probably cheese and yoghurt for your main protein sources. You could try that first and see how that goes, just be careful to find a good source of yoghurt without tons of sugar added!

From there, you can phase in the meats. Start with low doses of fish, and then slowly add bacon, ground meats, and move to full cuts as you feel comfortable.
                    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

I think that having a connection to the meat you eat may also help you to get past that squesamishness you felt; talk up the farmers at your local farmer's market about how well their animals are cared for, how they enjoy their lives grazing outside on grass and bugs and the things they were designed to eat, how they are butchered humanely. For me, knowing that I'm spending a little extra money to support an animal who had a good life and was raised well makes me feel better about what I'm eating.

Also, in the wild, animals often die cruel and painful deaths. It's not a pleasant thing to think about, but if I was a deer, I'd rather take one clean shot from a hunter than to slowly starve through the winter months until I'm so weak that a predator attacks me and eats me alive. I often think that killing animals humanely is a much better way for them to die than the way nature intended.

Comment

Congratulations on considering a change that may help you regain your energy- it's certainly worth a try even though you are already in good health.
                        Here is a website of a lady who is over 60 and thrives on a mostly primal type lifestyle. She eats grains but you can of course just ignore that:
                        Nancy Deville | Author of Healthy, Sexy, Happy, Death by Supermarket, and Karma

Marilyn Diamond, the vegetarian who wrote Fit for Life, went more primal in her 60s also and has a new book coming out, you might want to check that out. She's a bikini model now as the result of being more primal- it's never too late to get healthy.

Comment

First of all, WELCOME!

A lot of people on this board (myself included) were vegetarian or vegan at some point in their lives and, although vegetarian baiting can sometimes become a bit of a snarky sport around here, I think most of us realize that the two camps have more in common with each other than either of us do with the SAD eaters of the world. Both of us are concerned about our own health and also care about the well-being of the planet and the animals in the food chain.

I think you are going to be just fine especially since you have a Primal man who can cook by your side.

Comment

Welcome...enjoy your journey up the food chain.
                            Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                            PS
                            Don't forget to play!

Comment

Originally posted by Pinup View Post
                              Welcome! A lot of us were vegetarian for years.
                              Being an ex-vegetarian seems to be a universal theme here. I am, you are, loads of people are. I think even Gadsie mentioned he is. Am trying to think of a suitable analogy but the only one that sprang to mind is not very politically correct.

Comment

Working...
                              X