Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Else Eating Just One Meal A Day?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by gopintos View Post
    Anyways, I was wondering about the low end of the calorie scale. How that affects a person. I know what CW says but sometimes I am confused on forum opinions.
    Really, really depends on the person, imo. Genes set your potential, and hormonal regulation helps to bring you to that potential. Calories, in my opinion, help to set the hormones right, and if you aren't getting enough of them or too much of them, screw up the hormonal balance and keep you from reaching that potential.
    My chocolatey Primal journey

    Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

    Comment


    • #17
      I am moving toward one meal a day, it seems.

      I am now hungry during a 10 am- 1 p.m window (and I eat a large meal), and then again around 8 p.m. (I eat a snack.) I could skip supper most days of the week and not miss it -- at this point if I do eat supper, it's a very small portion so that I am eating with the family.

      The miracle of PB for me is this appetite control. I used to be constantly hungry. My weight number hasn't changed much but my measurements sure have! I am a full size smaller and have lost inches everywhere.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Leida View Post
        Women with different body type (i.e. shorter, thinner bones) might not be able to put on enough muscle and their food requirements is lower.
        That's me.
        Believe me, I've tried so many different combinations and different kCalorie levels, and the only way I could lose weight (and not much muscle mass) is low carb, low cal, no processed junk. The two reasons being : my body type and my messed up metabolism due to yo yo dieting since high school.
        I suppose my other question for the one meal a day folks is this:
        Since that's a lot of food and protein in one sitting, is it possible for some of it to be converted into (glucose?) and stored as body fat?

        I have heard from friends in the bodybuilding world, that you are not supposed to eat more than 4 - 6 oz. of protein at one sitting because what I described above will take place.
        So if you don't mind, do you think this is true or another load of CW BS?

        Comment


        • #19
          B.S.
          I easily eat a pound of meat at a time in my one daily meal. Lost four pounds in the last two weeks without trying.
          Crohn's, doing SCD

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by CleoCat View Post
            The two reasons being : my body type and my messed up metabolism due to yo yo dieting since high school.
            Are you sure it's not just your messed up metabolism and nothing to do with your body type?
            My chocolatey Primal journey

            Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
              Are you sure it's not just your messed up metabolism and nothing to do with your body type?
              I plan to increase my food intake as son as I lose what I deem to be excess body fat. So I'll find out if my metabolism has "healed" or not. I also plan to stop micromanaging this whole weight loss/tracking thing and just maintain once and for all, while eating natural foods as much as I feel like.

              Comment


              • #22
                I do this periodically, so does my husband. He and I usually do a dinner-to-dinner 24 hour fast once a week. He typically eats 3 meals a day and i eat 2. I've tried to get in the habit of just eating one huge meal daily, but i find that I can't meet my nutritional/protein requirements with one meal because I get a terrible stomachache if i try to eat that much food at once. (I also have IBS issues, so I'm prone to pain if I'm not careful). For me, two meals usually works better, but if you can do one and feel optimal, I think that's great.

                The one huge meal a day is called the Warrior diet - though on that, technically you can graze on some light stuff earlier in the day like fruit.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Really, really depends on the person, imo. Genes set your potential, and hormonal regulation helps to bring you to that potential. Calories, in my opinion, help to set the hormones right, and if you aren't getting enough of them or too much of them, screw up the hormonal balance and keep you from reaching that potential.
                  Very true.

                  However, the fasting vs caloric requirements vs hunger tend to take care of themselves in my experience. When i go for long enough on near maintenance calories I lose the ability to fast. The hunger actually accumulates, till it flips the brain switch from: "Look at me, i do not need any food before noon!" to "You gotta eat, woman, to heck with the thinness!".

                  Also, meals, even if you eat just one a day, will become larger if the deficit is too high (and you have a healthy hormonal response). 1200 cals is above the BMR for the OP, so her appetite will either return once the body adjusts to the new regimen, and push her to eat more, or if the caloric level is roughly right, she will be able to continue to stick to it. I would though suggest alternating time of the meals and having extra meals and calories every few days to keep the body from being too used to anything.

                  P.S. I apologize to Cleo about discussing her in third person in her own thread, but I am not sure how to rework the post to make it sound better. Sorry!
                  Last edited by Leida; 05-18-2012, 11:32 AM.
                  My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                  When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Here's what I do not get. If ad libitum I will eat on average somewhere between about 1100 and 1800 calories, how is that wrong for me and going to suppress my metabolism? I would have to consciously overeat to go higher than this. 1100-1800 is what I do naturally without trying and even with a little bit of unnecessary calories like wine or chocolate.
                    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Leida View Post
                      P.S. I apologize to Cleo about discussing her in third person in her own thread, but I am not sure how to rework the post to make it sound better. Sorry!
                      No worries. I find your posts very informative.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Here's what I do not get. If ad libitum I will eat on average somewhere between about 1100 and 1800 calories, how is that wrong for me and going to suppress my metabolism? I would have to consciously overeat to go higher than this. 1100-1800 is what I do naturally without trying and even with a little bit of unnecessary calories like wine or chocolate.
                        No, no, you won't suppress your methabolic rate that way. Methabolic rate gets suppressed if you under-eating day in, day out for more than 3-4 days in a row. Say, if you spent a week eating 800-900 calories each day or do a water fast, your methabolic rate will go down. One of the signs of suppressed MR will be that you will stop experiencing hunger.

                        Calorie cycling is effective because it helps with creating a small caloric deficit, and your low cal intakes are offset by high intakes, so your body can absorb the def without hitting the panic button and starting to shut the systems down to prevent you from losing fat too fast and die of starvation. At least that's a simplified theory on the level I can 'get it'.
                        My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                        When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Leida View Post
                          However, the fasting vs caloric requirements vs hunger tend to take care of themselves in my experience. When i go for long enough on near maintenance calories I lose the ability to fast. The hunger actually accumulates, till it flips the brain switch from: "Look at me, i do not need any food before noon!" to "You gotta eat, woman, to heck with the thinness!".

                          Also, meals, even if you eat just one a day, will become larger if the deficit is too high (and you have a healthy hormonal response). 1200 cals is above the BMR for the OP, so her appetite will either return once the body adjusts to the new regimen, and push her to eat more, or if the caloric level is roughly right, she will be able to continue to stick to it. I would though suggest alternating time of the meals and having extra meals and calories every few days to keep the body from being too used to anything.
                          Yes, but if you have excess amounts of body fat, then the hormones will tell you to eat less anyway. I don't see how long-term maintenance of extremely low body fat can be healthy in the long run at all anyway. So I guess if you wanted to reach a really really low bf %, then hormones are kind of out the window. But for a reasonably lean, normal look, people shouldn't be tracking their calories.
                          My chocolatey Primal journey

                          Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by CleoCat View Post
                            I suppose my other question for the one meal a day folks is this:
                            Since that's a lot of food and protein in one sitting, is it possible for some of it to be converted into (glucose?) and stored as body fat?
                            I suppose it's possible but in my experience it doesn't happen. This past week I've eaten one meal a day in the mornings, did nothing exercise wise for most of the week and I'm down five pounds from my weight last week, three pounds of Body Fat down from where I was last week.

                            If you eat clean and stay away from junk, you'll be good in my experience. That's me though and my messed up body so, take it for what you will.
                            Went Primal July 25th, 2011.

                            Current Age: 25

                            Total Loss: 126 lbs

                            Starting Stats: Weighed 266 lbs, Body Fat 37.6% (100 lbs), BMI 40.9

                            Current Stats: Weight 140 lbs, Body Fat 15.2% (21.1 lbs), BMI 21.2

                            Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

                            My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
                              But for a reasonably lean, normal look, people shouldn't be tracking their calories.
                              My husband is super lean and muscular, and at one point his normal chronic fatgue got SUPER awful, to the point where going anywhere, doing anything was torturous. We started tracking his food in fitday to see if he could have a deficiency in something, and we discovered her was drastically undereating - his calories were at something like 1,000. The next day he made sure to eat 2,000 calories and he instantly felt better. So i think counting calories once in a while can be helpful- now he is more careful to not undereat more than one day, and to make an effort to eat more, even when he's not hungry, because if he just relied on his hunger levels, he'd practically never eat (wish I had that problem!)

                              For me, tracking my calories periodically helps me to have a better sense of how much I'm eating, because it's very easy for me to understimate my intake if I'm not consciously thinking in terms of calories. I just have to be careful to take a break from calorie counting when I start turning into a calorienazi, because I have a tendency to get a little obsessive about it.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by CleoCat View Post
                                I have heard from friends in the bodybuilding world, that you are not supposed to eat more than 4 - 6 oz. of protein at one sitting because what I described above will take place.
                                I'm hardly an expert, but I did lose about 35 pounds in 2010 eating primal/paleo, without an extensive workout plan, eating lots and lots of meat. A really common lunch for me was a pound of ground beef in some tomato sauce. That's not counting the big suppers of wings, meat, or fish I was eating.

                                I wouldn't put too much stock in the whole "6oz or less" thing.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X