Just starting: constipation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just starting: constipation

So I've been at this for a few days now, eating lots more meat and vegetables than I had been. I seem to be having a bit of a problem pushing it all through. I've read Mark's poo article, but not quite seeing my problem: it doesn't hurt, but I have to strain for ages and then only get small pieces. I feel just a little overfull in that area.

Should I cut down on the vegetables? eat less in general? eat more vegetables? add ground linseeds? Thoughts?

More water. Usually the most important thing. Also make sure you are eating enough animal fat with your meat.

Comment

Please check out this website: Gut Sense: How to reverse and prevent constipation in children and adults

I have 6+ years of IBS, and the info on this website has been finally helping me to recover.

In a nutshell:
      1)Keep fiber low (10-15 grams/daily or less)
      2)Take a good quality high potency probiotic
      3)Eat some good quality fats

There are other useful things on the website. I'm currently using the GI Recovery supplements and the Hydro C supplement, which is a form of vitamin C that is safe on the stomache and helps to produce bowel movements without the laxative effects. It works like a charm (this from someone who has had the worst results ever from every laxative I've ever tried).

Comment

Originally posted by orielwen View Post
        So I've been at this for a few days now, eating lots more meat and vegetables than I had been. I seem to be having a bit of a problem pushing it all through. I've read Mark's poo article, but not quite seeing my problem: it doesn't hurt, but I have to strain for ages and then only get small pieces. I feel just a little overfull in that area.

Should I cut down on the vegetables? eat less in general? eat more vegetables? add ground linseeds? Thoughts?
        Drink more water.
        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Taking a magnesium supplement may help. I had similar issues, but taking 200mg of magnesium chelate twice a day took care of it. I actually started taking the magnesium due to leg cramps at night, which are also no longer a problem.
          LastBottleWines

Comment

Thanks all. I'm drinking more water and it seems to be helping. You might be right about the magnesium too: I've been waking in the night which I read on another thread might be a sign of lack of magnesium. I'll see if I can spring for some brazil nuts.

Comment

I have found that a pretty good slug of coconut oil gets things moving right along. Especially in the early stages of using it.

Comment

Originally posted by orielwen View Post

Gut Sense: Restoring Natural Bowel Movements

Comment

I found Kefir or live yogurt a help plus a tablespoon of ground flaxseed per day. Plenty of fats in the diet too. It lasted about 2 weeks with me then sorted itself out and I now poo easily and at least once a day.
                  I must admit I nearly quit primal by the end of week 2, glad I didn't as I'm so much better eating "clean".

Dave

Comment

Definitely second the magnesium! It will help with digestion, muscle cramps and sleep. Natural Calm, which is magnesium citrate works great! I have had sleep problems since I was like seven and nothing has helped like magnesium!

Comment

I was the exact opposite. With such an increase in vegetables, I found that I definitely did *NOT* have any constipation whatsoever. I was glad when my body adjusted.
                      Danni

Comment

Magnesium, more water and coconut oil should fix you right up

You should also look in to putting a footstool by your toilet to get yourself close to a squatting position during bowel movements. It is a much less difficult "route" out of your body if you are close to a squat. It can prevent straining and hemorrhoids.
                        Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

I've found the more coconut cream I consume, the easier it is to go.

Comment

Are you sure you're constipated? Or just pooing less volume and less often seems weird. Not eating all the bulky pastas and breads and grains reduces your volume of poo. I remember it seeming like it was kinda weird the first month or so.

Comment

I was the opposite when I started primal. I was out of town on a business trip, living in a hotel for a few weeks and had plenty of time on my hands so I sat there and read the (PB) book and started my conversion. let's just say i was glad to be in a room near a toilet for that first week. My body started cleansing, about 3 times a day!

Comment

Working...
                              X