Garlic causing sore throat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garlic causing sore throat?

Okay so frequently when I eat garlic I end up getting a sore throat and occasionally a cough. Any idea of what's going on? I would hate to give up garlic.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Never heard of that. I'd hate to give up garlic too. Vampires and werewolves and all.

Comment

Garlic can do no wrong. There must be some other explanation.
      Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
      5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
      Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
      TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
      bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Any chance you are eating garlic that has a bit of mildew on it? If so, you could be allergic to the mildew and be reacting to that. If you get a brown, greyish, or bluish tinge on the outer leaves you could have downy mildew on the garlic.
        Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post
          Any chance you are eating garlic that has a bit of mildew on it? If so, you could be allergic to the mildew and be reacting to that. If you get a brown, greyish, or bluish tinge on the outer leaves you could have downy mildew on the garlic.
          I don't think so. It happens with both granulated garlic (the spice) and the fresh stuff. Plus the leftover garlic looks perfectly fine.
          In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

Any other ideas?

Comment

I've read here & there to avoid garlic. I have not been convinced but there seems to be something in it that's triggering a reaction with you... whether it's some sort of allergic reaction to the garlic itself or some sort of herxheimer reaction it's hard to tell.

The below might be of interest, but I'd be interested to read what other, more experienced folk tell you...

https://www.facebook.com/note.php?no...04050&comments
              SW: 243
              CW: 177
              Goal: Health

Comment

Originally posted by KerryK View Post
                I've read here & there to avoid garlic. I have not been convinced but there seems to be something in it that's triggering a reaction with you... whether it's some sort of allergic reaction to the garlic itself or some sort of herxheimer reaction it's hard to tell.

The below might be of interest, but I'd be interested to read what other, more experienced folk tell you...

https://www.facebook.com/note.php?no...04050&comments
                That actually seems about right for explaining my circumstances. New question: after I go take the garlic off of my ribs what should I replace it with?

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Good View Post
                  That actually seems about right for explaining my circumstances. New question: after I go take the garlic off of my ribs what should I replace it with?
                  Hmmm... ginger? And IMO Thyme goes great with meat, too.
                  SW: 243
                  CW: 177
                  Goal: Health

Comment

I'm out of both. Perhaps I'll just eat them plain. With a side of blueberries and tea to drink.

Comment

Dang, ribs with no garlic!! It's a travesty! I usually put onions (diced and dried), chili powder, smoked paprika, a little oregano, thyme, cilantro, and sometimes some cumin and coriander. If they are lamb ribs I'll add some mint and sage.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Good View Post
                        Okay so frequently when I eat garlic I end up getting a sore throat and occasionally a cough. Any idea of what's going on? I would hate to give up garlic.
                        You are not crazy! I have the same issue. If I eat a meal with more than a hint of garlic I get a sore throat every time; regardless of source (fresh garlic vs garlic salt etc). It does not seem like an allergic response. It's funny that most people can use garlic to help cure a sore throat... What do you use to cure a garlic-induced sore throat? For me, drinking a lot of water, and waiting hours is the only solution I have found. I would be happy to get other suggestions, as I've had a lot of discomfort and even lost sleep due to the soreness.

Comment

Im so glad Im not the only one!! When i eat anything with a good amount of garlic in it i get a sore throat, and feel really fluey. I only just worked out what was causing it, and after last nights pasta experiment i am sure its the garlic. I don't usually put it in there, but i experimented with it and added it to my usual ingredients that Im always ok with. It makes me feel dehydration, and unwell. I wonder what causes this? As it is known to be a remedy for sore throats usually? Hmm..

Comment

Working...
                          X