Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raw, frozen beef liver pills

Hi everyone-
    I've been reading the site for almost two years and this is my first post!

I recently added some chopped beef liver to my typical dinner of burgers and it was truly awful. I could not swallow one bite.

I've been scouring MDA and some other sites for info on swallowing frozen raw liver in pill-form, an idea that seems to have come from Chris Kresser.

So... For the people that do this - how much would one need to ingest in order to reap the health benefits? Are we talking a few per day or tons of pills at once 1x/week? Is it even safe to consume raw?? Should it be done in conjunction w/ a meal so as to prevent liver taste from haunting me? Is this even necessary if I'm getting choline from egg yolks?

Thank you so much everyone-I've already learned a ton from this forum already!!!!

I tried this once, years ago. I almost threw up. In just the time it took me to swallow it started to thaw and the texture and taste . . . . I tried it a few times and ended up feeding the rest to my cat because I just couldn't do it.

The only way I can eat liver is in liverwurst.

I'm considering dehydrated liver pills when I have the money to play around.

Comment

You need to try it with some fava beans, and maybe a nice chianti...
      Start weight: 238 lbs (March 2012)
      Current weight: 205 lbs (July 2012)
      Loss so far: 33 lbs!!!
      WOE: Primal + IF
      Movements: Hiking, sprinting.
      Goal: to see my abs some time in 2013!

Comment

The only way I can eat liver is in liverwurst

Comment

I wanted to do that, but it didn't work well for me. Plus there is a real risk of contracting parasites eating raw liver - even liver that has been previously frozen.

I hate liver too. I kept trying recipes until I found one I don't hate. The one I like is a curry fried calf liver with a cilantro lemon vinaigrette.
          Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post
            I wanted to do that, but it didn't work well for me. Plus there is a real risk of contracting parasites eating raw liver - even liver that has been previously frozen.

I hate liver too. I kept trying recipes until I found one I don't hate. The one I like is a curry fried calf liver with a cilantro lemon vinaigrette.
            Stop lying. All the curry, lemon and vinaigrette in the world could not make liver not taste like liver. So glad to see a thread on the forum where eveyone is not saying "Liver, I love it". Come on!!! Everyone say it with me "Liver Sucks"
            I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
            My Journal

Comment

Liver is medicine. I take it once per week. I muscle it down like cough syrup, but with a dried blood and nickels taste, with a jug of water and a pool of hot sauce. The best thing I have found is to soak it in lemon or lime juice for 1-24 hours. It doesn't always work on the funkiest livers, but when it works it neutralizes almost everything offensive but the texture.

Comment

I really believe that if you really can't abide a certain food, you probably shouldn't eat it. I wasn't too fussy an eater as a child, but I wouldn't eat scallops. My dad tried to sneak them into something and I ate it and threw up on his shirt. Lesson learned.

There is so much beautiful nutritious food out there - why gag down something you don't like?

I still won't eat scallops. Blech.
                "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

cool Joanie---I threw up scallops too and will never EVER eat them again. I also hate liver. I actually froze some deer liver and tried to swallow it but then freaked out about eating raw liver. Maybe I should revisit this in the fall (hunting season)...tried cooking the liver but it was HORRIBLE, and I'm a great cook!
                  Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
                  http://thewoodsygal.com/

Comment

Originally posted by CaveWeirdo View Post
                    You need to try it with some fava beans, and maybe a nice chianti...
                    CaveWeirdo for the Win!

Comment

I think you are just going to have to try around. My suggestion to you is to go to the nearest big-city gourmet shop and ask for pate and terrine and such that has liver as an ingredient. The bird livers are the mildest tasting, and with all the other ingredients in there, the livery flavor is also diminished.

If you hit a really good French cuisine place, the ingredients should be at the very least clean, although not perfectly Primal.

My hubby isn't a fan of liver, but just last week he said that braunschweiger was not too bad. It is pork liver, and really not strong tasting, at least to my sensibilities.

Beef liver is something to work up to. Just FYI, I have been a liver-eater all my life, but I get it that others don't.

The German-speaking countries all have lots of liver recipes, as do the Slavic countries. If you cook, seek out these cookbooks at your local library.

And give yourself time. If you kind of try it here and there, no pressure, it may just grow on you.
                      I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

Originally posted by TorMag View Post
                        Stop lying. All the curry, lemon and vinaigrette in the world could not make liver not taste like liver. So glad to see a thread on the forum where eveyone is not saying "Liver, I love it". Come on!!! Everyone say it with me "Liver Sucks"
                        Nope. If jammies can stick it out long enough to find a recipe she likes, you can too. Grizzly Adams would eat his liver as well.
                        I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

raw liver just sounds like a pathogen-incident waiting to go wrong. plenty of ways to make liver more tasty, just do a net search.

my mother used to boil livers for the dogs and the smell of it was sickening. she also cooked it to DEATH. it was MANY years before i was willing to try it -- as pâté. it was like tasting all the earth's minerals woven through edible silk made of butter and cream.

i prefer chicken livers and rinse them, then soak them in yogurt or milk or cream. water in a pinch. change the water several times. poach in home-made chicken broth with a few cloves of garlic til the centers are just pink. whizz in the food pro with some dried thyme, butter, cream and cognac. salt and pepper to taste. i will sometimes add a prune or two in there. this freezes well and am now in a phase of eating it a few times per week. it tastes better the next day and i prefer it not refrigerator cold, so take some out about 30 minutes pre-meal.

and you scallop-haters are absolute weirdos! lol. living in new england i have access to the best and i swear could eat them everyday.

As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
                            as pâté. it was like tasting all the earth's minerals woven through edible silk made of butter and cream.

and you scallop-haters are absolute weirdos! lol. living in new england i have access to the best and i swear could eat them everyday.
                            I love that description. That's exactly what my homemade pate tastes like.

And scallops are a gift to us from the ocean goddess. They are only gross if they are overcooked.

Comment

Exactly.. make homemade paté or do as I: Slice it, fry it on a pan in butter and maybe some onion, squese fresh lemon on top and sprinkle on some salt flakes. Eat with some side dish you like.
                              Take a walk on the wild side.

Comment

Working...
                              X