X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
    [/B]

[SNIP]
    Oh, and Chaco, raw goat milk is way better than pasteurized but any goat milk is better than cow. There was a whole discussion on Underground Wellness about A1 and A2 milk. (sorry don't have the link atm). Worth a watch.
    Hi, Paleobird... I'm glad you mentioned UW - I will check it out, too. Several of Mark's posts explained the basic differences between the two and how A2 is better but I'd like to learn more. I've been calling around looking for raw milk and now know to ask the farms if their milk is from Jersey cows.... but this whole thread makes me want to find raw goat's milk, too just to try it out.
    SW: 243
    CW: 177
    Goal: Health

Comment

Oh, and Chaco, raw goat milk is way better than pasteurized but any goat milk is better than cow. There was a whole discussion on Underground Wellness about A1 and A2 milk. (sorry don't have the link atm). Worth a watch.
      I believe it. I can get raw cow's milk pretty easily for around $5.50/half gallon in PA, but goat's milk is a challenge. I know where to get it, but it would involve a 30 minute train ride or 40 minute drive into Center City Philly and probably $9/half gallon I'm sure. Honestly, I just don't drink milk. I don't see value in it. This is just a rare experiment. Most of the time I use heavy cream and canned coconut milk for ice cream and skip the milk altogether. I just wanted to try something new...and WOW. The custard is insanely good. I wish raw dairy wasn't so persecuted in this country. It's treated like smallpox.
      Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

I guess I need to try it. If I like it, I guess I need to get me a goat. I think my son has some but he was having trouble keeping them at home I think, so I don't know if he still does.
        65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

Bought myself some goats milk.

Currently siphoning my coffee, goat milk will be added. Can't wait!

Comment

I am so going to buy some.. I want 2 goats and 6 chickens so badly I go to sleep thinking about them already here.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
              I wish raw dairy wasn't so persecuted in this country. It's treated like smallpox.
              I guess we are just more enlightened out here in California.

The UW discussion of the whole A1/A2 thing was the first time it really made sense to me. He did a good job of breaking it down.

Comment

Unfortunately, I disliked the goat milk. I barely like goat cheese. I found there was a slight aftertaste (sort of the same tangy aftertaste you get from goat cheese). I will stick with cow milk. Was worth a try. My MIL is allergic to anything from a cow, so I will give it to her so that she can enjoy. She LOVES goat milk.

Comment

yeah, my sister has goats and she brought over some fresh goats milk. . . it was heaven! what type of ice cream maker do you have? i am looking into getting one, i have a kitchen aid so i thought about getting the ice cream attachment. it could be dangerous for me to have an ice cream maker but i just might take that chance.

Comment

I think they sell raw goat's milk at Reading Terminal in Philadelphia. I may have to go check it out. Honestly, I don't really drink milk and it's probably $12/gallon there, but it may be worth checking it out. It's not really on the menu since I want to cut a little for the summer, haha.

Goat butter sounds incredible. I have never seen goat's heavy cream before. It has to exist, right? If it does, I'll culture it myself with buttermilk and whip my own. I've done it before, why not?
                    I eat goat butter all the time. It literally tastes like candy.

Comment

Well, we ate the entire HALF GALLON of ice cream between the 4 of us. It went over well. Next flavor: roasted cherries and dark chocolate with a red wine swirl. My idea. If I see it on the market, you stole it from me.
                      Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

If you like goat's milk you may like goat meat. I can get it at taquerias. It's called birria if the menu is all in Spanish. To me it has a sort of creamy taste like the milk does.
                        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                          If you like goat's milk you may like goat meat. I can get it at taquerias. It's called birria if the menu is all in Spanish. To me it has a sort of creamy taste like the milk does.
                          Goat meat is good stuff. I get it at my local Asian supermarket and at a middle eastern butcher shop I go to. Goat and slow cookers were meant for each other.

Comment

Well, we ate the entire HALF GALLON of ice cream between the 4 of us. It went over well. Next flavor: roasted cherries and dark chocolate with a red wine swirl. My idea. If I see it on the market, you stole it from me.
                            Gotta apply for that patent, ASAP, to collect a penny off of that stolen intellectual property...
                            If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

[/B]

Huh? I buy raw dairy all the time at my local Sprouts store. Who's being persecuted?

Don't know about LA but SD has recently passed an urban agriculture ordinance allowing goats and chickens within the city limits. My friend has goats and is happily producing the world's yummiest chevre cheese.
                              Well, I'm technically in Beverly Hills which doesn't let you have a clothesline unless its been grandfathered in. And no Sprouts here.

They shut down our raw buying club last summer and the guy running it gave up fighting with the city and state. Organic Pastures was recalled again though 2/3 of the tests are clean (still waiting on #3). I'm having a hard time finding Claravale because everyone is buying it up.

If my girls were still drinking tons of milk I'd make the trek to a farm to get some milk, but the bit they drink is fine with the Organic Valley Grassfed. I don't miss the 1-1/2 gallons a day months we went through in their twos!
                              Miriam in Sunny SoCal

Comment

Choco,

I tried the goat milk from TJs based on this thread. Great texture and fullness, but the gamey after-taste is hard to shake. Plus the price is perplexing. I can get a gallon of raw cow's milk for 9 bucks, the goat milk is actually more expensive!! However I have zero digestion issues, no bloating, no gas, nothing really.

Comment

Working...
                                X