Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why white rice and not brown?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Why white rice and not brown?

    My sister and I always discuss nutrition and I was saying that I always see people here saying they eat white rice and of course people always say brown rice is better.

    Why do people here prefer white rather than brown as a carb source?

    Jaime

  • #2
    Isn't brown rice loaded with arsenic, which is removed by the "whitening" process?

    Comment


    • #3
      There's an article here on that - Is Rice Unhealthy? | Mark's Daily Apple

      Bear in mind though that although white rice is advocated here it's still mostly empty calories. But if you are active, healthy and you like it you can have it. I get it several times a week - the japanese variety.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by jmosery View Post
        My sister and I always discuss nutrition and I was saying that I always see people here saying they eat white rice and of course people always say brown rice is better.

        Why do people here prefer white rather than brown as a carb source?
        Brown rice causes psoriasis for me (and possibly receding gums). I had a more obvious reaction to brown rice than to gluten.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by js290 View Post
          Brown rice causes psoriasis for me (and possibly receding gums). I had a more obvious reaction to brown rice than to gluten.
          INTERESTING... I never heard of this, before. *puts this bullet into magazine for the argument gun* thanks
          If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Darz View Post
            There's an article here on that - Is Rice Unhealthy? | Mark's Daily Apple

            Bear in mind though that although white rice is advocated here it's still mostly empty calories. But if you are active, healthy and you like it you can have it. I get it several times a week - the japanese variety.
            There are some Japanese brands I like, because they actually have flavoring! I think Nishiki is one of them.
            If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

            Comment


            • #7
              Can't remember the name of the brands I usually get but I just love the stickiness of Japanese rice and indeed the flavour is a plus as well, quite different from the long grain variety.

              Comment


              • #8
                I like basmati rice, and red rice. Red rice has a very different, nutty flavor that I really enjoy, and a small amount in basmati rice turns it an amazing purple. Plain white rice, meh. Japanese rice, really enjoy that too.

                I find I'm ok on rice once or twice a week, but more than that, my fibro kicks up.
                Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

                Big Fat Fiasco

                Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

                Comment


                • #9
                  Brown rice falls under the whole grain umbrella so it's usually promoted as being healthier. There have been a couple of studies comparing the two, but there is no real evidence for which one is better. I've seem some sources say white rice is bad because it has a higher GI than brown, but there is a whole range of GI values for different types of rice, and some varieties of white rice actually have lower GIs. This has more information about the differences: white rice vs brown rice

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    white rice is a staple in Asia.... enough said.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      why would you want to eat something that is genetically modified?
                      Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
                      Before and after pics
                      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
                      Primal Sucess Story
                      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
                      Primal Journal
                      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Is there genetically modified rice being sold?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Velocity J View Post
                          Brown rice falls under the whole grain umbrella so it's usually promoted as being healthier. There have been a couple of studies comparing the two, but there is no real evidence for which one is better. I've seem some sources say white rice is bad because it has a higher GI than brown, but there is a whole range of GI values for different types of rice, and some varieties of white rice actually have lower GIs. This has more information about the differences: white rice vs brown rice
                          Good point. Also, any differences in GI are only relevant if one is comparing a plain bowl of one variety of rice against another as a whole meal.

                          Significant protein, fat and fibre from vegetables eaten with rice are far more significant in lowering the GI of the meal than a small amount of wholegrain fibre.
                          F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            My Japanese wife and I eat Korean rice mostly. Nishiki is okay in a pinch, but there are much better varieties out there. The best source is a local Korean grocery store. Go in and ask what is the best rice and they will show you. FWIW, my wife won't touch brown rice.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Brown rice has some of the antinutrients that impair mineral absorption. On the other hand it has a lower GI value, but GI is mostly irrelevant in healthy diets/people. I'd just stick to white rice since its safer. Obviously if you're on a good diet you won't be eating a lot of white rice anyway.
                              http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X