No announcement yet.

$125 a week?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The thing is that now many employers expect you to have 1. a smart phone and 2. internet service at home, so it is a required item to stay employed. The easiest thing to cut on a budget is food.... it sucks. I feed 2 people really well on $125 a week. I can't imagine adding in 2 kids.

She probably knows how to stretch her budget... but the best idea is meal planning and not wasting any food. Beyond that, Latino markets are often super cheap on veggies- everything always looks a little day old but if you eat it in a day or two. Also, I use frozen veggies a lot.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

I strongly second the Frozen Vegetables. Unless you have hours to wash and fresh veggies, frozen is much better.
      I don't go to Costco, but I bet they have 5 lb bags of frozen veggies for $1 a pound.

regular ground beef 85%
      canned tomatoes -- don't buy regular tomato sauce it's loaded with sugar
      chicken thighs
      Canned tuna
      Eggs -- but unfortunately, industrial eggs are nearly worthless and the good ones are too expensive
      No coke or pepsi, that stuff is expensive. Iced tea mix?

I think the real issue is going to be fat. Butter, coconut oil, olive oil are very expensive. Are there any cheap fats?
      5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

It really depends on where she lives.

I would have no problems feeding my family soaked beans, lentils, rice, potatoes, and frozen veggies if the budget was tight. If she spends a bit more on good quality fats (coconut oil and grass-fed butter) and eggs, then I think the rest should be fine. If she can make bone stocks and sneak in a little organ meat that would be great.

There is a whole spectrum of eating between SAD and Organic, grass-fed primal. If she avoids wheat, high fructose corn syrup, processed oils and just focuses on whole un-processed foods that family should still do quite well.
        Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post
          It really depends on where she lives.

I would have no problems feeding my family soaked beans, lentils, rice, potatoes, and frozen veggies if the budget was tight. If she spends a bit more on good quality fats (coconut oil and grass-fed butter) and eggs, then I think the rest should be fine. If she can make bone stocks and sneak in a little organ meat that would be great.

There is a whole spectrum of eating between SAD and Organic, grass-fed primal. If she avoids wheat, high fructose corn syrup, processed oils and just focuses on whole un-processed foods that family should still do quite well.
          +1.
          If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

Originally posted by oxide View Post
            I think the real issue is going to be fat. Butter, coconut oil, olive oil are very expensive. Are there any cheap fats?
            I don't know about where you are, but here in the UK lard (pig fat) can be had easily and very cheaply, as it is used as a cheap substitute for butter in baking. Goose fat is available but expensive. Suet is cheap but tends to come in little pellets coated in wheat flour.

Comment

Today I bought a HUGE grass-fed cow tongue for $6 Canadian at the farmers market. This thing will feed my DH and I for a couple days.

Comment

coconut oil from the indian markets are the least expensive, and butter can be cheap, too. our butter is surprisingly cheap, all things considered.

FWIW, DH and I spent about the same amount of food in the US (taking into consideration the difference in the value of the dollar). But, in the US we were organic, and here we are somewhat organic. That is to say, most of our stuff is likely organic, but organic labelling is tough here, so most people don't go for the certification. But, it might also be conventional and/or mixed in.

Grass fed (for meat) is pretty much all you can get, so there is that.

Comment

I had a phone and a home internet connection back in the US (2 yrs ago) that cost a combined total of $70. My sister, by contrast, had bells-and-whistles cable, broadband, home phone, and cell-phone package (and today has an iPhone), that ran her $175 per month.

When she then told me she "couldn't afford" healthier food, I pointed out that she could save $105 per month by dropping cable and switching to the internet/phone process that we were using. It was amazing what I was able to chew it down to.

But god forbid someone lives without cable tv!

I'm nto saying it's this woman's circumstances, btu I know *a lot* of people who cry poor on their iPhones.

Comment

Wow! Thanks y'all, for all the suggestions. I've forwarded the link to this discussion to my sister. She lives in Northern California, BTW, and has great access to mounds and mounds of local seasonal food.

Stats as of 3/1/12:
                    5'10" female, 38 y/o
                    Currently 140 lbs., approx 25% body fat
                    WEIGHT GOAL: lose a bit more body fat and tighten up the rear end...basically, I want to look great naked. Everywhere else is looking great, but my ass/hips/thighs are being a bit stubborn. TMI?
                    DAILY MACRO TARGETS: Cal: 1,857. Protein: 100g (400cal). Carb: 75g (300cal). Fat: 128g (1156cal).
                    EXERCISE GOAL: incorporate 2-3 strength training sessions and 1 sprint session per week.

Comment

Originally posted by zoebird View Post
                      I had a phone and a home internet connection back in the US (2 yrs ago) that cost a combined total of $70. My sister, by contrast, had bells-and-whistles cable, broadband, home phone, and cell-phone package (and today has an iPhone), that ran her $175 per month.

When she then told me she "couldn't afford" healthier food, I pointed out that she could save $105 per month by dropping cable and switching to the internet/phone process that we were using. It was amazing what I was able to chew it down to.

But god forbid someone lives without cable tv!

I'm nto saying it's this woman's circumstances, btu I know *a lot* of people who cry poor on their iPhones.
                      I don't miss TV, really. IF I wanted to watch something, I have Hulu, Netflix. I'm more of an audio guy, though.
                      If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

Tell her to look into CSA's, some even have meat. We are lucky to live in an area with quite a few organic/grassfed/pastured farms and have a CSA that lets you order what you want online and pick-up once a week. Our budget savers are economy packs of meat (usually has a couple lbs. of ground beef, a roast or two, sausage, round steak, etc.) from a local grass fed farm. Then I buy seasonal produce based on what cuts we get, and make a meal plan. Frozen veggies (lately I've been getting organic because both Woodstock Farms and Cascadian Farms have had coupons out) help a lot too, and I use the dirty dozen/clean 15 cheat sheet to pick what I buy organic or conventional. It's just silly to buy organic bananas--the skin keeps the pesticides out.

Comment

if you arent doing organic/grass fed/pasturized only then that number should be easy ...

i can honestly say my wife and i spend about $150 a month on food, sometimes less ... and we eat well imho
                          started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

Comment

My family of 4 (kids are 2 and 3) are able to eat primal on a $300 a month budget. I do most of my grocery shopping at Sprouts Farmers Market because it is cheaper and better quality than the grocery stores around here. One of the biggest things that helps this is when something is on sale, say asparagus for .88 a pound, I stock up and buy 10-20lbs then freeze most of it for future use. You can also do this with meat, sometimes I can get chicken thighs for .99 a lb or drum sticks for .88 a lb and just stock up. We are thinking of upping our budget to $400 a month.

Comment

I feed my family of 5 from cosco for about 5-600 a month. A deep freezer is key and a food saver. I also live in Vermont which is one of the most expensive states to live in.

Comment

For a family of 3, we spend on average 200-250 a week. I do buy organic and grassfed/pastured items. I don't bargain shop and pretty much refuse to go to more than 1 store . The store I shop at is a health food store and some items I could definitely get cheaper somewhere else. If I dropped organic/grassfed and but back on some of the wild caught fish, 125-150 might be doable.
                                "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                                X