Do you use a microwave for leftovers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you use a microwave for leftovers?

Just wondering if people here consider the microwave an acceptable way of heating up leftovers at work the next day?

I tend to bring cold salads to avoid the issue, but it would be nice to have a nice warm lunch instead sometimes. That being said, I was never a big fan of the texture of food after it is microwaved, it seems almost better just to eat it cold.

Brian

I'll never use a microwave again but that's just me. I'm in search of the highest health possible. They cook at too high a temperature and destroy too many nutrients. They also alter the structure of food and make it nearly unrecognizable by the body.

Microwave some water, let it cool down, water your plants with it and watch what happens.

I don't trust them at all. Some countries have even banned them? They are dangerous in my mind. It's up to you to research it more and believe what you want.

Comment

Kasey, do you just eat all your leftover meat cold?

Comment

I use a microwave and see no problem with it. It just uses electromagnetic waves to move the polarity of a water molecule back and forth (note water is naturaly polar molecule, and it doesnt physically change the molecule). That creates the heat.

Its not too much heat. If your food is warm and raw, then the temperature was not high enough to cook it. If your food is overcooked, then it probably did cook at too high a heat. Turn the settings down.

In summation, it shouldnt be any worse than boiling your food. Yes cooking destroys some nutrients, but I like my food cooked.

Comment

"Microwave some water, let it cool down, water your plants with it and watch what happens."

This?

http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave/plants.asp

Comment

I never really seem to have leftovers.

I'm getting rid of my microwave today though. I never really use mine much anymore.

Comment

Yes, I do! I use it to re-heat leftovers, to defrost frozen meat or meals, and even to steam vegetables (asparagus, for example, takes much less time in the microwave)

Comment

@Legerity I never actually have leftovers. I would warm them up in an oven if I did though. I'll leave the science box to others more daring.

Comment

They cook at too high a temperature and destroy too many nutrients.

How can it cook at too high a temperature? Do you even understand how a microwave works? It works by heating the water molecules inside the food. It isn't going to heat anything beyond the boiling point of water. Cooking something over a fire (the most primal method of all) is much hotter and causes vastly more chemical changes in the food.

I don't use mine very much anymore, but I have nothing against it.

A word of warning, though. Don't try to re-heat slow-roasted pork belly in the microwave. It will explode. A hot oven works much better for that.

Comment

@Kasey- the worst thing that could happen to you with eating food heated by microradiation is you getting awesome superpowers

Natural Selection: http://ichoosenaturalselection.wordpress.com

Comment

Rofl Athena.

I am going to be microwaving myself periodically for the next day or two now. If you dont hear from me, you should probably contact a mortician.... If you do hear from me, look up, because I am flying by, flipping the bird to all you mear-mortal losers.

Comment

Rgr, Ill remind myself not to make you angry, i wouldnt like you when your angry. haha

Natural Selection: http://ichoosenaturalselection.wordpress.com

Comment

It seems that there is a misconception as to what microwave does. Microwave as the name implies uses microwave radiation.

Microwave is a more efficient way to transfer energy. The longer the wavelength the more easily it can be captured and the energy transferred.

Yes microwave does heat the molecules very fast, and that could be a problem, but it is in no way different than how a pan heats molecules of food. At the lowest level the heat transfer between two atoms happens through radiation only. The waves do get reflected by metals. So you need vessels that are transparent to it. But it need not heat only water molecules.

Comment

Ovens that cook with microwave radiation - those reckless scientists are really out of control. What's next, an oven that cooks with infrared radiation? There's no way I'm putting food into my body that has been chemically altered by radiation!

Comment

I admit to not understanding microwaves. But I visited a site like this once:

http://amasci.com/weird/microwave/voltage1.html

(not this particular one) and when I learned that a microwave heated water by reversing its polarity TWO MILLION TIMES A SECOND, I thought to myself, "I don't know a THING about what it does to anything, and that's my FOOD."

And I gave it away. I don't miss it.

One thing I think a microwave is good for: if you have a sprain or sore muscles, you can put a closed bag of dry uncooked rice in it, warm up the rice, and use it as a heating pad.

Comment

Working...
                              X