Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which form of magnesium is the best?

Which form of magnesium is the best?
    And if I supplement magnesium, do I need to supplement other things to balance it out? vitamin K2, etc.
    Last edited by Drlove; 05-09-2012, 11:25 AM.

I've recently heard in a Chris Kresser podcast that chelated forms (glycinate and malate) are best. Apparently calcium citrate is not absorbed as readily, at least for some people. Epsom salt baths are another method to get magnesium.

Comment

I don't know which form is best. I do know that many of the pills are poorly absorbed. But epsom baths are easily absorbed. I have heard it said that it takes two years to correct a deficiency with pills and two months with baths.

Comment

From my research, everything I've read says that magnesium citrate is one of the most bioavailable forms. I buy it in powder form (from NOW) and mix in a teaspoon to my water in the evening. The benefit of using powder form is not having any binders/fillers.

Comment

I've tried a few kinds and found magnesium citrate works best for me. I use the Solgar brand.

Comment

I use the topical magnesium brine (magnesium oil). It works great for me and I like it because there is no risk of GI upset. It does feel a little "tacky" on your skin at first, but I still use it every night.
            Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

I heard the same thing from Chris Kresser, tried a chelated version and it didn't work as well for me as the crappy drugstore version I was using.

I have heard good things about the citrate version, though.
              Durp.

Comment

I take 400 mg chelated magnesium every night before bed. I don't have leg cramps anymore and it helps me drift off to sleep pretty reliably.

Comment

I've been used this, which is cold water extracted from purified sea water:
                  Magnesium | together

It contains all the different natural forms of Magnesium, including oxide, hydroxide, sulfate, carbonate and chloride.

Be interested to know what you think of it.

Comment

I like my Solaray magnesium asporotate. Tried magnesium oil but it made me itch.

Comment

Magnesium chloride spray or Epsom salt baths.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                        Magnesium chloride spray or Epsom salt baths.
                        You can use the magnesium chloride spray in place of Epsom salts in the bath or buy magnesium chloride crystals for bath use as well.

Advantage? Well, magnesium sulfate (Epsom salts) are fine, but they do get excreted more quickly in the urine than most other forms of magnesium so your body doesn't maintain the magnesium in the body for as long as with magnesium chloride or some other forms.
                        "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Drum, maybe you can answer this for me... I have been using mag chloride oil for a while now, all over my legs right before bed as you suggested. I was originally diluting it to a 5% solution as it recommends on the bottle but recently started using it straight; the label says it's 120mg/mL, and I figured a 5% solution is pretty pointless so I titrated up until I was using full strength.
                          The difference in my sleep has been amazing (though I still don't wake up feeling rested but that's a cortisol issue) but what confuses me is sometimes I just get a bit of tingling on the skin where it's been applied and some nights it's full-on blowtorch burning, so intense for a few minutes until it calms down.
                          I'm also taking 600-800mg mag glycinate orally each day.
                          Any ideas why the extremes in reactions from day to day?

Comment

Originally posted by lemontwisst View Post
                            Drum, maybe you can answer this for me... I have been using mag chloride oil for a while now, all over my legs right before bed as you suggested. I was originally diluting it to a 5% solution as it recommends on the bottle but recently started using it straight; the label says it's 120mg/mL, and I figured a 5% solution is pretty pointless so I titrated up until I was using full strength.
                            The difference in my sleep has been amazing (though I still don't wake up feeling rested but that's a cortisol issue) but what confuses me is sometimes I just get a bit of tingling on the skin where it's been applied and some nights it's full-on blowtorch burning, so intense for a few minutes until it calms down.
                            I'm also taking 600-800mg mag glycinate orally each day.
                            Any ideas why the extremes in reactions from day to day?
                            Hmmm...

Well I know it CAN cause that feeling when it's getting absorbed really quickly. Have you considered what you might have done on the days this feeling is particularly bad that might explain a greater need for magnesium (intense exercise, less magnesium from food that day, excessive sweating, lots of urination, particularly lose stools, lots of mental and/or emotional stress)?

The reason it tends to go away as people use the "oil" more often is because as they correct their magnesium deficiencies, the body tends to absorb less and less of the magnesium and more slowly. But if you constantly need these high doses of magnesium the symptoms associated with rapid absorption will not go away. The fact that it only happens sometimes, and not every time says to me that on those particular days you might have a greater need for magnesium in your body. Can you trace back any particular consistencies on days when you seem to experiences the tingling the worst?

The good news is that this tingling is perfectly normal however, and not dangerous at all. Sometimes annoying yes, depending on how bad it is, but as you pointed out it goes away quickly and you know your magnesium is getting good use!

Have you tried using the oil in a bath (or mag chloride flakes) to see if this reduces the tingling frequency as well?
                            "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
                              You can use the magnesium chloride spray in place of Epsom salts in the bath or buy magnesium chloride crystals for bath use as well.

Advantage? Well, magnesium sulfate (Epsom salts) are fine, but they do get excreted more quickly in the urine than most other forms of magnesium so your body doesn't maintain the magnesium in the body for as long as with magnesium chloride or some other forms.

Understood...the only problem I have with that is you take an 8 oz bottle of mg spray which should last you 30 -60 days and dump 1-2 oz of that in your bath......quite wasteful in terms of methodology. Epsom salt hold more value monetarily for use in a bath. Yup I am a total tight wad.

Comment

Working...
                              X