Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

heart, liver and tongue. labeled as dogs food?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heart, liver and tongue. labeled as dogs food?

"plain grass fed beef. heart liver and tongue. dog food". thats what the sign says on the freezer at my local farm stand. I don't see any reason why I can't eat it. Why are selling these parts for dogs? I hope it's just because no one in america finds "heart, liver and cow tongue" appetizing. Anyway, if it's safe for dogs it should be safe for humans, right? They also have bone marrow which sounds like it would be good in a stew but its also labeled for dogs.

Anyone see any problems consuming this stuff?

Anyone ever had cows tongue or cows heart? how does it taste?

that's sad. you can eat those! hell, they're prized in most countries. fucking a...

Comment

I eat the "Pet food" from US Wellness meats all the time. It's 90/5/5 of 65% lean ground beef, heart, and liver. And it's so much cheaper than the ground beef. Makes great chili.
      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
        I eat the "Pet food" from US Wellness meats all the time. It's 90/5/5 of 65% lean ground beef, heart, and liver. And it's so much cheaper than the ground beef. Makes great chili.
        Do you!? Thats awesome...I keep seeing it and thinking I'll give it a shot, but then I chicken out for some reason. Yeah, a bit of liver and heart AND its cheaper! Whats not to like I suppose.

Comment

Sawwweeet!

yeah this stuff is 2.99 lb so 2 bucks less than the normal grass-fed ground and looks super high quality.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
            Do you!? Thats awesome...I keep seeing it and thinking I'll give it a shot, but then I chicken out for some reason. Yeah, a bit of liver and heart AND its cheaper! Whats not to like I suppose.
            Go for it. I'm not dead. I've been eating the stuff for at least a year. Girlfriend isn't dead either. (And this is one of the only ways to get liver into her diet. She hates the stuff).

Makes it easy to hit your minimum order weight too. Extra bonus.
            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
              What's not to like? Let's start with liver and work our way through the rest. Liver was meant for the dogs.
              I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
              My Journal

Comment

That is great news. I've wondered if the dog food is edible. I wasn't worried about it being actual hearts and things but that maybe they'd allow stuff in there that would be difficult to chew and thus wouldn't be very tasty.

Heart, by the way, tastes like really strong-flavored meat. It seems to turn dark red and the broth turns red, too. It's pretty good but it's so lean with very fine texture so it can get a little rubbery. I've never had tongue.
                Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Just remember to bring a can opener to the shop with you so you can start tucking in at the checkout

Comment

...Can opener? Ok, I missed something. We're not talking about Alpo are we?

Comment

The only thing that would worry me is how they handle the meat from a sanitation stand point. If it is being sold as "dog food" sellers may slack a little bit on how careful they are when they handle it. That being said, if I was sure that the quality of the food was the same as that being sold to people, I'd jump right in!

Comment

it may be that your state has wacky laws about handling offal, and so it has to be sold for dogs. we used to buy raw milk "for pets only," and there's a place in town that sells dehydrated chicken breast (nothing but salt added) "for pets only," whereas any processed/dehydrated meats for humans must contain nitrates/nitrites.
                        my primal journal:
                        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

No, we're talking about this:
                          U.S. Wellness Meats — Our Animals Eat Right So You Can Too.
                          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

oh my bad.
                            my primal journal:
                            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

As far as I know "for animals only" means it can include fallen animals and animals killed after they became sick. If it it cooked thoroughly I can't see the harm. I wouldn't eat it bloody. Also can be (legitimately) rather elderly so might not taste very good and may be tough.
                              Last edited by billp; 05-08-2012, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X