Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

heart, liver and tongue. labeled as dogs food?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sometimes also powdered bone meal is added into pet food as a filer. I'm sure it's edible but it may not be digestible... :P
    Check out my new webpage: The Carnivore Runner
    Friend me on "The Facebook"
    Follow me on Twitter!

For customized training / nutritional plans for runners from a former athlete who has personal experience in dealing with severe food allergies, please email me at foxATtinybikeDOTnet. I am ISA certified as a personal trainer and have coached many runners at the recreational or young-competitor level to towards their goals! Most of all, I'd love to help you with yours.

Comment

i think bone meal is sometimes used as a human mineral supplement.
      my primal journal:
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

On the plus side, the fact that offal is often in the dog food section means that it is much cheaper than it should be (given how tasty and nutritious it is).

Originally posted by Doc Grok View Post
        Anyone ever had cows tongue or cows heart? how does it taste?
        Yes to both. They are both fine. We boil the tongue, I recommend slicing the taste buds off the tongue before serving, particularly if you are feeding it to kids. And the heart is just a big muscle. Tenderise it with a hammer and it's a great cheap steak.
        Last edited by magicmerl; 05-08-2012, 05:21 PM.
        Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
        5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
        Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
        TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
        bloodorchid is always right

Comment

If you read their pet food blog page it says the only difference is the fat content, which is higher.

Comment

i get a 90/10% mix of beef heart and liver from my local butcher. First time i ordered it he asked if it was for my dog. I got a weird look when i said it was for me . now he has it ready and waiting for me every week. Delicious!!

Comment

Originally posted by Saoirse View Post
              i think bone meal is sometimes used as a human mineral supplement.
              good to know! tks
              Check out my new webpage: The Carnivore Runner
              Friend me on "The Facebook"
              Follow me on Twitter!

For customized training / nutritional plans for runners from a former athlete who has personal experience in dealing with severe food allergies, please email me at foxATtinybikeDOTnet. I am ISA certified as a personal trainer and have coached many runners at the recreational or young-competitor level to towards their goals! Most of all, I'd love to help you with yours.

Comment

Has anyone just emailed US Wellness to ask them?
                carl's cave

Comment

I'll do it! I'm not too embarrassed to say "Hey, I know I'm a human, but can I eat the pet food?" What's the worst they can do, laugh at me? I'm used to that!

Comment

Doc Grok:
                    I'm assuming that the reason it's being sold as dog food it because there would be legislation involved in being able to sell those as human grade at the market or it simply could be that not many people would buy those. If you're interested in consuming, I'd just check with the stand owner to make sure there is nothing you should be aware of. It doesn't hurt to ask.

I feed my dog a raw diet. He eats purely raw meat with a bit of added sweet potato and salmon oil, so that's something I would happily feed him. He usually eats stuff such as duck necks, cornish hen carcases, rabbit spines, etc. The meat that the local raw pet store gets it from are all local, free-range, grass fed. I assume it would be safe for me to technically eat it but they are usually mostly bone.

Cheers!
                    Last edited by Metric; 05-09-2012, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X