No announcement yet.

The Best Ice Cream to Cheat With

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ive tried making my own ice cream, but I dont have a machine, and it always comes out completely solid!
    Whats the magic ingredient to stop it being so rock hard?
    I dont want to add alcohol, but there has to be something else!

Can anyone help?
    I'm not a complete idiot! There's parts missing!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rattybag View Post
      Ive tried making my own ice cream, but I dont have a machine, and it always comes out completely solid!

Can anyone help?
      I can tell you this with absolute certainty as I am at this point an ice cream veteran. This will work for HALF A GALLON OF ICE CREAM:

2 tablespoons 80-100 proof rum + 1/4 cup 80 proof vodka for vanilla-based ice creams (or 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons vodka if you want the alcohol flavor to be undetectable)
      1 packet gelatin dissolved in 3 tablespoons warm milk. Make sure you get all the clumps out before you add it to your custard.

This will be appropriate if you are using 1 pint of heavy cream + 2-3 cups 2% or whole milk and 6 egg yolks. If you use a lower fat milk or less egg yolks, you will drop the fat content of the ice cream and require more alcohol.

The gelatin is very important. It is a stabilizer, and it is 100% primal since it is made from cow bones. Buy Knox unflavored gelatin. It's about $1.50 and sold next to the Jello in the grocery store. You could use xanthan gum in its place, but gelatin produces a much better consistency and it is much healthier than nasty gums and thickeners.

I also recommend the following method: reserve 1 cup of heavy cream until right before churning. Take that 1 cup of heavy cream and whip it until stiff peaks form. Then FOLD that whipped cream into the custard right before churning. Store-bought ice cream is made with overrun - it has anywhere from 30-100% volume as AIR whipped into it. The airy texture also helps prevent freezing. Industrial ice cream factories have expensive ice cream makers that whip the ice cream as it churns to incorporate the air. This does not occur in home ice cream makers, so whipping the cream will help your consistency to achieve a more store-bought-like texture. FYI - when you DO BUY STOREBOUGHT ICE CREAM, realize that the number shown on the ice cream is not a weight measure, but rather a volume measure. If you ever what to know what the best ice cream is, first make sure an ingredient is "egg" or "egg yolk", then take your ice creams and weight them in the produce department. Buy the heavier one. Legally, you can have up to 50% volume as air, or 100% overrun (think Breyers ice cream - you're paying for air), so buy the ice cream that weighs the most because you are getting more eggs and cream and less air.
      Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 06-15-2012, 08:44 AM.
      Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Can anyone help?
        Air.... The cream has to be stirred. You could try stirring it every so often until frozen.

Comment

I'm wondering if Kahlua is primal. It's made I think from beans or something. The fillers in ice cream like carageenan are a real problem, must avoid. I am thinking of making my own homemade ice cream, the HD adds up.

Comment

Originally posted by BamaAla View Post
            Oreo McFlury with extra Oreo! If you're going to cheat, cheat.
            I've gotta go with HeathBar Blizzard at Dairy Queen on that one... extra heath... mmmm dirty cheating thoughts.........
            Re-Starting Paleo January 10, 2013

SW - 185.4 lbs Janury 10, 2013
            CW- 179.8 lbs
            Goal- 168 lbs Full Performance Level PBF, 32" waist, lean...

MY PALEO JOURNAL

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity."
            ~ Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Lynna View Post
              Air.... The cream has to be stirred. You could try stirring it every so often until frozen.
              I do stir it a lot during freezing but it still ends up a frozen brick!

Comment

I dont want to use alcohol. Is the gelatine used instead of the alcohol?

Comment

I dont want to use alcohol. Is the gelatine used instead of the alcohol?
                  The alcohol lowers the freezing point. It's non-negotiable for this method.

You could try what my dad does: whip the bejeezus out of the custard, put it in the freezer 30 minutes, whip again, put it in the freezer 30 minutes, whip again, put in the freezer 1 hour, repeat until frozen.
                  Steph
                  My Primal Meanderings

Comment

Originally posted by onalark View Post
                    The alcohol lowers the freezing point. It's non-negotiable for this method.

You could try what my dad does: whip the bejeezus out of the custard, put it in the freezer 30 minutes, whip again, put it in the freezer 30 minutes, whip again, put in the freezer 1 hour, repeat until frozen.
                    This sounds like the same principle as Choco outlined in one of his ice cream recipes. Save a portion (I think it was half) of the cream and whip it separately and fold it in just before you churn the ice cream. This incorporates air more easily.

Comment

There's also this:
                      The Food Lab: Real Ice Cream Without an Ice Cream Machine | Serious Eats: Sweets
                      Vanilla Ice Cream Without the Machine | Serious Eats : Recipes
                      Steph
                      My Primal Meanderings

Comment

Luna and Larry's, or make my own with a pudding recipe.
                        I blog :http://raisinggodzillas.blogspot.com/
                        Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...17134571662261
                        "We have all the food groups- meat and chocolate".

Comment

I saw Jeni's in the store today- $15 a pint. For that price you'd be better off just buying an ice cream maker and making your own.

Comment

Why do people think Jeni's is primal friendly? Check out the cookbook, most of her ice creams have slightly weird stuff like corn syrup, cornstarch, cream cheese, etc. in it. Something like haagen dazs or (better yet) straus creamery ice cream is way cleaner.

Comment

Working...
                            X