No announcement yet.

Cottage Cheese, what's your take on it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cottage Cheese, what's your take on it?

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to see what everyone thought about cottage cheese.
    -Do you eat it?
    -What kind/percentage?
    -What are your favorite toppings for it?
    -How often do you indulge in it?

I'm trying to figure out how often I can eat it and what type to buy. I want to stay primal as possible but I want food options.

Thanks!

I adore breakstone cottage cheese with a little serving of cantaloupe.

Comment

My wife makes homemade cottage cheese. It's a cross between kefir and dry curd cottage cheese. She ferments the milk, then discards the left over liquid, leaving all the fat and curds. I'm not 100% sure about the macro content but I believe most of the milk sugar is gone. I eat it daily, usually with an apple or banana, or tossed in a veggie salad.

I go through it so fast she makes a batch every other week. She recently started using high fat milk from a local creamery and the result is closer to cream cheese than cottage cheese. Zero sugar or salt added so most people think it's bitter, but I love it.

I also occasionally dip into the pot when she is making it, before the curds have formed. I consider it my bi-monthly probiotic treatment since sure each drop has several billion active cultures
      Last edited by primal-dan; 05-04-2012, 07:23 PM.

Comment

I like it once in awhile for a change. I either eat it plain or scoop it with my veggies.
        Danni

Comment

Our family of 8 uses it instead of salad dressing. A big serving on top of a salad......maybe some grassfed ground beef on there. It's awesome. We own a cow so I make it but I can never keep up so we buy the full fat stuff the rest of the time.

If you are reaching your goals, why not?

Comment

Wife eats some every few days. Plain. Full fat. I think it's pretty nasty stuff personally.

Comment

Love it. Used to eat the creamed stuff out of a tub, but now switched to dry curd (organic milk, bacterial culture) with a little pink/grey salt and a couple teaspoons of pure organic whipping cream. So much better! Fatter, lower carb. Never going back to the 2% tub stuff again.

I consider it a treat, and I will have it 2-3 times in a row every couple of months.
              Last edited by GrokON; 05-04-2012, 10:05 PM.
              5'6" Female, 29 Years Old, 260/195/120

"Discipline is choosing between what you want NOW, and what you want MOST!"

Comment

I usually mix in some thawed mixed berries from frost, a few crushed walnuts and a small piece of chopped dark chocolate.
                Perfect for your cravings, or just a plain desert.

Comment

It's highly favoured by the body building world as a post-workout food.

It's nice with banana and honey for breakfast.
                  F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

It's dairy, so it turns me into a fart factory and gives me boils and achy joints. I avoid it like most dairy.
                    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I don't buy low fat anymore, not since I realized lower fat usually means high carbs. I just eat it as a side with a meal. I usually do 1/4 - 1/2 cup. Lately though, I have thought about it with some cantaloupe but havent done that yet. I use to buy it on sale and freeze it. It is more like ricotta texture when it thaws. That was back in the day when I made lasagna. I could probably still find some uses for it now also.
                      65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

Thanks for all the responses!

Comment

I love cottage cheese! Especially with diced onions and cucumbers mixed in~

Comment

I can't find a brand without a lot of crap in it. Is 4% full fat? That is the highest I have seen.

Comment

Originally posted by healthy11 View Post
                              I can't find a brand without a lot of crap in it. Is 4% full fat? That is the highest I have seen.
                              For a grocery store brand, Daisy is good~ just skim milk, cream and salt.

Comment

Working...
                              X