Sam's Choice Flavored water?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sam's Choice Flavored water?

I was a big soda freak and i havent had soda in over a week but been suppressing my cravings with these waters. Would these be ok to drink?

It depends on your goals. If you are trying to give yourself brain damage, then consuming aspartame is the way to go.

If not, I recommend carbonated water, lemon juice, lime juice and stevia.

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

It's not primal proper, but there are a lot of different flavors of stevia extract you can add to bubbly water. If it keeps my teenage bro from drinking soda, I'll take it!

We bought a little tin of sampler sizes, he gets into the novelty of "making soda"

Personally I just avoid sweet things besides a little fruit.

Comment

I like the flavored fizzy waters that don't even have any sweetener in them at all. They're a bit of an acquired taste at first, but they eventually taste a bit sweet. It's actually rather refreshing not to have the full on sweet taste. I get them in berry, orange, lime, lemon.

Comment

Club soda + vanilla extract + stevia = cream soda!

Or another favorite...

club soda + mint extract + stevia = mint soda.

Comment

but these are so good for practically nothing in them .. besides the aspartame, is this going to affect the primal health?

Comment

Artificial sweeteners generally make me feel icky. You'll have to find out for yourself if it hinders you or not.

Comment

Grok only drank water (and possibly tea), so it's not okay. Aspartame was thought to be safe once; now scientists are not so sure. Only real food is really safe to eat.

But if you were a big soda freak, drinking only water may be too hard. I suggest you wean yourself off it slowly. Every time you have cravings, drink as little as necessary to make the cravings go away, then drink water. It's going to be easier than you thought.

Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
                Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
                No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
                Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

Comment

Water is wonderful, really. If you have to, get a filter. It helps big time.

Typically in a day I drink decaff coffee, water, tea and kombucha (home brew.) I don't even really miss the soda. The soda recipes above I use for special occasions mostly. Even then, a good cup of coffee does the trick.

Comment

Few things are better than a big glass of water when I'm really thirsty.

Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
                    Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
                    No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
                    Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

Comment

That solves my question. This will be the last water I buy. Thank you for the info!

Comment

I've had those drinks. Really, it's best to go natural. You know the old saying, "If ya hafta ask..."

To help get off of my soda (and aspartame) crutch, I've been mixing a tablespoon of CM in a tall glass of water. Gives the water a sweetness, makes it go down real easy, and I get extra fat. With ice it is extra-super refreshing.

I do keep an eye on total calories, which is why I use only a tablespoon in a big glass - it is only about 20 calories. I'm just not going to drink enough of these in a day to add much to my caloric intake.

Aspartame makes me crave carbs (I figured this out even when eating SAD). That I still regress and am lured by diet sodas just reveals its highly addictive nature. At least for me.

Comment

I'm a believer that even without the sugar or aspartame or other crap, carbonated water by itself is horrible for you and messes up your mineral balance.

Comment

dragonmamma- You're a believer, but do you have any good sources that can make a believer out of the rest of us?

I like water flavored water. But I also drink fizzy water/club soda on occasion. Especially like it with lemon, and bitters. No thanks to the stevia.

Comment

Brain damage, mineral imbalances...chill out!

There may be some science to support these claims but will those conditions develop in the 2-3 weeks, or however long it takes for his tastes to change?

Doubtful.

If by drinking those he's more apt to stick with the plan, see results, and eventually begin craving more healthy, natural beverages, then I say drink up!

Don't sweat the small stuff.

I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

Comment

Working...
                              X