Leaky Gut

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaky Gut

I have really bad leaky gut caused by having candida. I'm taking 3g of l-glutamine at the moment, but i'm going to double to the dose as it doesn't seem to be having any effect. My food intolerances have got worse over the last week or so. Can anyone advice anything else to take if this doesnt' work? I've read that taking liqourice root helps- I think we have some of that in the house. Can I take that at the same time as the l-glut? I've also read that trying to heal leaky gut while still having candida won't work, but how can you tell if you still have it? I think it has gone now, but I never had any kind of vaginal infections or anything similar so it's hard to tell. I also have adrenal fatigue and a weak liver and i'm just completely overwhelmed with trying to cure it all. I've been ill since November with candida, and i'm just so sick of feeling tired and grumpy all the time!

Other things that I've researched to heal leaky gut:
    Aloe vera juice
    Marshmellow
    Slippery Elm
    Psyllium Husk

Please help! Many thanks

No one dies of a bread deficiency.

Samuel Beckett's, as well: 'Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.'

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53914-4.html

Try adding high quality pro-biotics on an empty stomach in the morning. I take my l-glutamine on an empty stomach and have to wait atleast 45 mins before eating anything.

Comment

I admit I haven't studied leaky gut very well, but I do believe I've experienced it. I had joint pains off and on for years and was diagnosed with a rare form of arthritis, which I don't believe I ever had. The doctors just couldn't explain why I was hurting. On my 21st birthday I had my first full glass of wine (sangria, yum). The morning I could barely move my arms, my joints hurt so badly! Overnight I developed a strong sensitivity to sulfites, as it turns out, and for the next year even things like shrimp (treated with sulfites while at sea to avoid browning), iced tea, and some fries would result in joint pain. I started going to an osteo-chiropractor (I think that's what he's called) and he did a number of things, including telling me that I had several large partial blockages in my intestines. He said when blockages sit for awhile they eat away at the intestine wall which can cause leakage. He worked on moving them for several months, and eventually I noticed... no more sulfite sensitivity, at all. I can have two glasses of red wine, no pain at all.

All that to say... my leaky gut was cured with a chiro, not with supplements. (-: I don't know all the causes of it and it may not help you at all, but that's just my experience! I love not having to watch what I eat anymore. I do still have occasional joint pain btw but very mild and rare. Maybe going primal will help?
      ~Mollie

Started PB on Monday, June 4. I'm focusing on my health in 2012, including taking natural supplements, zumba and strength training, regular church attendance and studying the Bible, spending time with good friends, and reading more. I want to see what health milestones I can achieve this year!

Starting body fat - 41%
      Starting weight - 170 lbs
      9/4 body fat - 33%
      9/4 weight - 150 lbs

Comment

Did you get tested for LG or just think you have it? I would suggest a LG specific diet, paleo may not be enough, you can look up what food to avoid. Also add bone broth to your diet, or if that is too hard you can buy powdered gelatin, probably not as good but better than nothing. Look for l-glutamine powders that are designed for gut health, they will include some of the other ingredients you listed, and up your dose to 3x a day. You may want to add some digestive enzymes too. I'm about 4 months into treating my LG, I'm feeling much better now, but still need to get tested again to see if it's healed. You'll want to get more agressive about treating it, don't think what you're doing is enough. I'm not an expert, just sharing my experience.

Comment

Lolo,
          Leaky Gut is caused by grains. You cannot eat bread, oatmeal, rice or anything else containing Gluten.

Your candida can be cured with iodine supplements. Your body is severely deficient in iodine, or you would not be suffering with Candida.

See this file for details and how to start the Iodine Supplement Protocol:
          http://tinyurl.com/iodine-references

Additional symptoms of iodine deficiency:
          * Aches and pains, vague (1) * Asthma (13)
          * Brittle Nails (12) * Candida(4)
          * Cholesterol levels increased (1) * Cysts of skin, breast & ovaries (2,9)
          * Cold intolerance (cold hands & feet) (1) * Concentration decreased [brain fog] (1)
          * Constipation (1) * Depression (1)
          * Diabetes (4) * Dry, coarse hair (1)
          * Dry skin (1) * Dry Mouth
          * Dry Eyes * Excessive sleepiness (1)
          * Fatigue (1) Chronic Fatigue Syndrome * Fibromyalgia (4)
          * Fluid Retention (4) * Graves’ Disease (4)
          * Hair Loss (10) * Headaches (11)
          * Heart rate slowing (1) * Hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, Hashi’s (4, 9)
          * Immune system reduced function (4) * Insomnia (4)
          * Keloids (9) * Memory Poor (12)
          * Miscarriages & Low Baby IQ * Mental Retardation
          * Muscle Cramps, Pain (1,4) * Parotid duct stones.(12) * Puffiness around the eyes (1) * Stomach Problems
          * Sweating reduced or gone(1) * Swelling of the legs (edema) (1) * Temperature drop in body temp (1) * Thyroid cysts (Goiters) (2,3) * Weakness (12) * Weight gain (1)
          THERE ARE MUCH MORE - 181 Symptoms ! ! ! Consequences of Iodine Deficiency

Symptoms from SEVERE Iodine Deficiency
          * Migraine headaches (5,6) * Painful periods/heavy periods (5,6)
          * Pelvic pain (5,6) * PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome) (5,6)
          * Endometriosis (5,6) * Fibroid Tumors (5,6)
          * Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) (5,6) * Breast pain (fibrocystic tissue) (5,6)
          * Cancers in female breasts & organs (5,6) * Lung Cancers (13)
          * Prostate problems including Cancer (7,8) * testicular cancer (7,8)
          * Thyroid Cancers * Erectile Dysfunction
          1) Iodine Therapy
          (2) Thyroid Cyst Symptoms | eHow.com
          (3) Iodine Cures
          (4) Iodine Therapy
          (5) Iodine Deficiency and Estrogen Dominant Diseases - Jorge D. Flechas, MD - YouTube
          (6) Iodine for Health by Donald W. Miller, Jr., MD
          (7) Cancer and Iodine - The Iodine Project
          (8) Iodine Deficiency - An Under-Recognized Epidemic
          (9) Dr. James Howenstine -- Iodine is Vital For Good Health
          (10) Iodine and Hair Loss: Is There A Connection? | Natural Health & Organic Living Blog
          (11) Dr. James Howenstine -- Iodine is Vital For Good Health
          (12) Iodine deficiency symptoms and benefits | Foods containing Iodine | Overdose Symptoms
          (13) Dr. David Derry Answers Reader Questions -- Asthma and Thyroid Hormones

Grizz
          Last edited by Grizz; 05-04-2012, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Try adding high quality pro-biotics on an empty stomach in the morning

Comment

Help heal the gut lining by cooking on some bone broth (chicken,beef,fish) and drinking around a cup or two with every meal. Good fats from meat and coconut oil will help as well.

I would recommend checking out the GAPS diet to heal your gut problems.

Comment

Hey. Thanks for all your replies. I probably should have included this information in the intro. I am on the primal diet, cook with coconut oil every morning, eat plenty of good fats and fatty meat. My digestion is just so sensitive at the moment, I can't eat any grains, dairy or sugar (which is to be expected) I also can't eat nuts, caffeine, cocoa, avocado, carrots, any cabbage, mushrooms, leeks, anything in the onion family, garlic, as well as other vegetables. These give me the worst stomach cramps but eating pretty much anything gives me some kind of stomach disruption. I haven't had myself tested for LG but i'm fairly certain that this diagnosis is correct. I do take probiotics and digestive enzymes as well as HCL acids as I have low stomach acid. I will definitely look into taking iodine and making bone broth. I've decided to go and see a kinesioligist for help with all this, there's one local to me and I don't want to go buying even more supplements without having proper diagnosis, as I'm already taking a lot of tablets and I'm a student who doesn't have the money to experiment with lots of different things. Thanks again!

No one dies of a bread deficiency.

Samuel Beckett's, as well: 'Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.'

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53914-4.html

Comment

Bone broth definitely helps A LOT to heal those gut walls.... make sure you cook the broth to a gelatin consistency.

Your diet at the moment looks pretty good!

How do you go with fermented cabbage (sauerkraut)?

And you might be ok with butter too.

Good luck

Comment

Hi lolo66

I've posted a lot about my candida experiences here and on my blog.

You definitely need to up your l-glutamine dose. I take about 10,000 mg a day. Do not go too high, otherwise you will be doubled over in horrible abominable pain. L-glutamine is first and foremost the BEST thing to cure your allergies. Keep at it. It'll probably be a month or two before you notice results.

Buy a high quality probiotic. I'm currently taking CP-1. Google it.

yeastinfectionadvisor.com is a great resource. I have emailed Dan with many questions, and he has been very helpful. I do not get any kickback from advertising him.

Be sure to include large doses of coconut oil in-between meals on an empty stomach.

I just bought a product called Syntol, which eats the walls of candida. I tried Candex, which does the same thing, but Syntol is better as it has a few extra ingredients to manage pain.

I doubt a kenisiologist (sp?!) is going to be able to help you though. How are you eating things like zucchini, butternut squash, sweet potatoes? You may be able to tolerate these in small amounts with your fat and protein intake. They'll help keep you regular as well.

Do post back. There's a bunch of us who can help
                    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Comment

I have leaky gut as well, and I was tested for multiple food sensitiviites. (google ALCAT. It's a helpful test). Anyway, i found the most improvement when I started making water kefir. It has billions of probiotics and is cheaper than buying the really good probiotics. Syntol is a good option though if you go that route. Here is one good place to buy the water kefir grains Yemoos Nourishing Cultures | Genuine Culture Products & Information (note: these are not grains as in wheat, barley, etc but granuals of good bacteria and yeasts. these yeast do not feed candida, and it is not a yeast like bakers or something else to be avoided). As my grains multiply, I eat the extras for a high dose of probiotics. At $50 a bottle of good probiotics, I could not take them as much as I needed to. Water kefir allows me to get those probiotics for the cost of sugar and water. The way I explain it to my kids is that the kefir eats the sugar and poops probiotics. So the remaining sugar content is about the same as a granny smith apple- even less if you let it ferment longer. And I have 5 kids, so I need to let it ferment longer for higher alcohol content if you know what I mean. . The recommended dosage is to work up to 4 cups a day. Keep up the hcl; I was taking 3-4 per meal and have been able to reduce it to 2 per meal as my stomach starts making its own acids. Also, keep in mind that it takes several months to get better... Sometimes up to a year or more. I've been taking all kinds of supplements, but the kefir has made the biggest difference.
                      Don't let anybody tell you, "You can't" just because they can't.

Comment

@GeorgiaPeach can I ask a question about this? I am just learning about the kefir grains. If you scoop out some to eat--are you still ingesting a lot of sugar? I'm dealing with severe adrenal fatigue as well as some of the gut terrain issues mentioned above but I can't tolerate any sugar right now. I've been wondering whether I should try the Kefir milk grains, but water seems even less likely to give me issues. But now your mention of a granny smith apple (which I could not eat right now) makes me concerned. Would welcome any additional info you might provide on this. Thanking you in advance.

Comment

I have adrenal fatigue as well, and I can relate. Here is a link that explains what a kefir grain is made of. Scroll down a bit to read on water kefir: Dom's About Kefir in-site. Being that they are made of a polysaccharide, you will be getting some glucose. But if you eat the grains instead of drinking the kefir, I would think you'd be getting less. It's kind of like a cow that eats grass... You will get some of the nutrients in the grass by eating the cow, but you would get more grass if you ate the grass yourself. The kefir eats the sugar, so they are't 100 percent sugar free, but they are not remotely sweet. I'm very sensitive to sweets, and I've had no issues with the kefir. Also, I don't add more sugar like juice or fruit to the second ferment. I let it ferment on any of the sugar left in there. That helps too. The milk kefir has sugars in it as well, but with water kefir, you rule out casein and whey sensitivities that can develop with gut issues. As far as adrenal fatigue goes, I doubt it would give you any problems just eating the grains themselves. With as much as you'd benefit with gut issues, I think that would help the adrenals as well... Even if it is just from reduced stress to the body.
                          Don't let anybody tell you, "You can't" just because they can't.

Comment

Originally posted by lolo66 View Post
                            I have really bad leaky gut caused by having candida. I'm taking 3g of l-glutamine at the moment, but i'm going to double to the dose as it doesn't seem to be having any effect. My food intolerances have got worse over the last week or so. Can anyone advice anything else to take if this doesnt' work? I've read that taking liqourice root helps- I think we have some of that in the house. Can I take that at the same time as the l-glut? I've also read that trying to heal leaky gut while still having candida won't work, but how can you tell if you still have it? I think it has gone now, but I never had any kind of vaginal infections or anything similar so it's hard to tell. I also have adrenal fatigue and a weak liver and i'm just completely overwhelmed with trying to cure it all. I've been ill since November with candida, and i'm just so sick of feeling tired and grumpy all the time!

Other things that I've researched to heal leaky gut:
                            Aloe vera juice
                            Marshmellow
                            Slippery Elm
                            Psyllium Husk

Please help! Many thanks
                            I am going to start by giving a short explanation of leaky gut. In short, leaky gut is an inflammatory condition. Inflammation of the gut makes it more permeable allowing protein solutes, not complete proteins, to leak in to the bloodstream.

The role Candida plays is that the Candida in its fungal form produce finger-like projections known as hyphae that allow the Candida to dig in to and damage the tissues. Whether Candida exists as a benign yeast or a pathogenic fungus depends on the pH of the terrain. In an acidic pH the Candida growth gene is turned off and it remains in a yeast form. If the terrain becomes too alkaline the Candida growth gene is turned on and the Candida converts in to its fungal form. The pH of the terrain is controlled by the intestinal flora. Our Lactobacillus and Bifidus bacteria ferment fibers to produce beneficial acids that among other things help to control Candida overgrowth and other pathogens.

That being said keep in mind that everyone has Candida. But not everyone has candidiasis (Candida overgrowth). The overgrowth of Candida can be controlled with probiotic sources such as kefirs and fiber sources to feed the beneficial bacteria.

Food intolerances are aggravated by leaky gut because the protein solutes can act as antigens leading to immune reactions against the proteins from the food.

Slippery elm or marshmallow root are very helpful since they help to sooth the intestinal wall. Licorice root and yucca root are both excellent direct anti-inflammatories and both support the adrenals, which helps to reduce the inflammation as well. Building the adrenals will also help reduce the food sensitivities. Vitamin C and pantothenic acid ( a B vitamin) sources also help strengthen the adrenals.

For a probiotic source I prefer kefirs or other freshly cultured foods.

For fibers to feed the flora I prefer rice or oat bran, but vegetable fibers including vegetable gums are also excellent.

I don't care for psyllium since it is too harsh on the intestines.

I also recommend avoiding stimulants like caffeine since they weaken the adrenals further leading to increased inflammation.
                            Last edited by JamesS; 09-26-2012, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lolo66 View Post
                              Hey. Thanks for all your replies. I probably should have included this information in the intro. I am on the primal diet, cook with coconut oil every morning, eat plenty of good fats and fatty meat. My digestion is just so sensitive at the moment, I can't eat any grains, dairy or sugar (which is to be expected) I also can't eat nuts, caffeine, cocoa, avocado, carrots, any cabbage, mushrooms, leeks, anything in the onion family, garlic, as well as other vegetables. These give me the worst stomach cramps but eating pretty much anything gives me some kind of stomach disruption. I haven't had myself tested for LG but i'm fairly certain that this diagnosis is correct. I do take probiotics and digestive enzymes as well as HCL acids as I have low stomach acid. I will definitely look into taking iodine and making bone broth. I've decided to go and see a kinesioligist for help with all this, there's one local to me and I don't want to go buying even more supplements without having proper diagnosis, as I'm already taking a lot of tablets and I'm a student who doesn't have the money to experiment with lots of different things. Thanks again!
                              It sounds like you may also have gastritis, which can be caused from low stomach acid and infection.

As for the iodine be careful not to overdo it. Iodine can create a variety of problems if taken in high doses, especially if a person has Hashimoto's thyroidosis. So people need to be careful when supplementing with iodine. If you can try to get your iodine from your diet, such as seaweeds.

Comment

Working...
                              X